Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2 per mile, Tesla safety score insurance hike 50%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean long story short Tesla is still the best option for me I just don't really like it lol
I'm just pissin an moaning because I don't like it
I have a doctor's appointment for the car on the 8th so we will see what my out of warranty model 3 sensor array is going to cost me to fix for the forward collision warning problem

They covered that in post #5, and just like what they paid in CA is not relevant to what they are being quoted in their new location, what anyone else pays isnt really relevant to them either. People try to compare insurance rates with others online all the time, and its pretty pointless because of how rate quotes work (using location as well as a number of other things that are pretty specific to a single person, that have nothing to do with safety scores).
My rate is not a hypothetical. So you are saying that if I was in Calif., my rates could also be $200, or 900 a month, just because of the location?

My rate is not a hypothetical. So you are saying that if I was in Calif., my rates could also be $200, or 900 a month, just because of the location?
Im saying that your rate you pay now is COMPLETELY IMMATERIAL to what someone else might pay in another part of the country, and is also completely immaterial to what YOU might pay in another part of the country, in CA or otherwise.

Most people are aware that insurance rates depend on a lot of things, including location. Perhaps you were not aware that insurance rates also depend on location?

I had a 45 minute wait in line at Burger King, apparently short staffed that day and very slow. Unsafe following resulted in my Tesla insurance premium doubling. After a lot of effort I finally was able to talk to someone at Tesla Insurance. Their solution was "Don't eat at Burger King anymore!"
Lol yeah
The guy I talked to on the phone from Tesla basically said if you don't like it shop around

I would still love to know what the hell magical combination of categories I apparently fall into

Because the insurance is treating me like I'm a street racer and a serial felon and a bank robber
And I go to destruction car derbies on the weekends

I'm definitely not saying California doesn't suck for certain things My annual renewal at the DMV was like 700 something dollars It was absolutely stupid

I'm definitely not saying California doesn't suck for certain things My annual renewal at the DMV was like 700 something dollars It was absolutely stupid
In Oregon, we have a program where you pay a road tax per mile of travel. Not many people know about it. How it works | MyOReGO.

What do you mean?

I cant speak for @fholbert but, with that being said, it did stick out to me that you mention your commute is 2.7 miles, you do it at 10pm, yet it takes you 19 minutes to get home.

Thats actually quite a bit of time for a less than 3 mile commute, specifically at 10pm at night, but I just figured there must be some extenuating circumstances.

"back in my day" (lol) I was a track athlete in high school and college. I personally have run 2 miles in just over 9 minutes, and a 5k (3.1 miles) in under 15 minutes. It was a long time ago (long long ago heh) but that just means your commute at 10pm at night must be include a lot of traffic / be very crowded.

I am guessing thats what they ment, but I obviously dont know as I am not them.

Am I the only one who can get past the above?
?
I cant speak for @fholbert but, with that being said, it did stick out to me that you mention your commute is 2.7 miles, you do it at 10pm, yet it takes you 19 minutes to get home.

Thats actually quite a bit of time for a less than 3 mile commute, specifically at 10pm at night, but I just figured there must be some extenuating circumstances.

"back in my day" (lol) I was a track athlete in high school and college. I personally have run 2 miles in just over 9 minutes, and a 5k (3.1 miles) in under 15 minutes. It was a long time ago (long long ago heh) but that just means your commute at 10pm at night must be include a lot of traffic / be very crowded.

I am guessing thats what they ment, but I obviously dont know as I am not them.
It's mostly empty streets but it takes me about I don't know 8 minutes just to get to my car from my office I'm pretty sure it's 3 miles let me check my map
GPS says 9 minutes

But I actually drive the speed limit at 30 lol

Screenshot_20231202_143341_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20231202_144235_Tesla.jpg
Screenshot_20231202_144238_Tesla.jpg

Okay you can see the drive is only like 10 minutes give or take

Last edited:
How can you possibility have a 2.7 mile commute that takes 19 minutes? Where the h3ll do you live?
Of all the head scratching things in this thread I really have no idea why this is the one we’re latching onto.

~20 minutes actual travel time for a ~3 mile commute seems to be 100% normal if you’re talking about “desk to door” as OP obviously is.