Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2 per mile, Tesla safety score insurance hike 50%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm livid
Coming from California moved to Texas
Changed my insurance over
They quoted me $150 a month
Now I'm expected to pay $210 a month because of the safety score

I literally pay more than $2 per mile to drive my Tesla

My entire commute is 2.7 mi to and from work
five times a week
Other than going to the grocery store maybe once a week That's all I drive.
I get off work at 10:00 p.m. and it takes me 19 minutes to get home.
Considering I drive so little that accounts for about "10% late night driving"
And apparently making 5x 90° turns accounts for about "10% aggressive turning"

And a funky sensor decided a couple times this month to just log about 130 Forward collision warnings during my 19 minute commute home which dumped about a weeks worth of days to zero safety score
Screenshot_20231130_090430_Tesla.jpg

Screenshot_20231130_090525_Tesla.jpg

Don't ever move your car after 10:00 p.m. even if it's just up your driveway if you do that everyday for a month your insurance gets hiked 30%
Screenshot_20231130_090437_Tesla.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231130_090458_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20231130_090458_Tesla.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 66
So... have you ditched them for a reputable insurance company?
If not, why not?

More here:
Even $210 a month for a whopping hundred miles a month is a cheaper quote from any other place I've ever tried.....
I can't remember which company it was It might have been Geico They even wanted $900 a month

What kind of crazy bull is that

Screenshot_20231127_171653_Tesla.jpg

I leave for work at 1:30 p.m.
I arrive at work roughly 1:45 p.m.

I get off work at 10:00 p.m.
I arrived home at 10:19 p.m.

Quote unquote late night driving is 50% of my entire mileage

Which maxes out The quote unquote driving after 10:00 metric
Which reduces my safety score by 10 points
And increases my insurance by $50 a month
Screenshot_20231130_090525_Tesla.jpg

Late Night Driving? What the heck does that have to do with anything?
There is well supported actuarial data that driving at night is a higher risk than daytime.

Tesla makes exactly what they use to evaluate your risk very clear, and night driving is one of those items. It's your choice to use a company like Tesla that uses this data vs a company that does not.

There is well supported actuarial data that driving at night is a higher risk than daytime.

Tesla makes exactly what they use to evaluate your risk very clear, and night driving is one of those items. It's your choice to use a company like Tesla that uses this data vs a company that does not.
I have no choice when Teslas bullshit is the cheapest
I'm halfway incentivized just to drive like a complete asshole because I'm already paying for the complete asshole driver price

Even $210 a month for a whopping hundred miles a month is a cheaper quote from any other place I've ever tried.....
I can't remember which company it was It might have been Geico They even wanted $900 a month

This implies there is something about your insurance profile that is driving cost, beside the safety score BS (which I would never do, myself).

Said another way, "If you think its expensive, but multiple people are quoting you similar pricing, its not expensive, thats just your price".

Only you know why your rates would be as high as they are, but it isnt just safety score, because all those other companies have nothing to do with that.

Reactions: tstolze
I have no choice when Teslas bullshit is the cheapest
I'm halfway incentivized just to drive like a complete asshole because I'm already paying for the complete asshole driver price

So you are annoyed at the company charging you the least by a huge factor because they won't charge you even less?

An 82 safety score is nowhere near the maximum rate you could end up with.

Your overall anger, language, and lack of research when buying a product as complicated as insurance may be an indication of why insurers find you a high risk.

Also a reminder for those people that think everything in CA is expensive, ruined, and regulated, while places like Texas are cheap freedom factories, CA makes it illegal to use of data collection to set rates due to the voters prohibiting it in Prop 103 in 1988.

To be productive here, given your very minimal driving, you may find pay-per-mile companies like Metromile (there are others too) more affordable.

So you are annoyed at the company charging you the least by a huge factor because they won't charge you even less?

An 82 safety score is nowhere near the maximum rate you could end up with.

Your overall anger, language, and lack of research when buying a product as complicated as insurance may be an indication of why insurers find you a high risk.

Also a reminder for those people that think everything in CA is expensive, ruined, and regulated, while places like Texas are cheap freedom factories, CA makes it illegal to use of data collection to set rates due to the voters prohibiting it in Prop 103 in 1988.

To be productive here, given your very minimal driving, you may find pay-per-mile companies like Metromile (there are others too) more affordable.
I'm a perfect driver with no history of anything negative
I'm single and renting
There's no damn reason

Yes

But more so that I was quoted one number and never told that this number could cut itself in half or triple itself
And one factor that is literally costing me hundreds of dollars is a bad sensor telling the system I'm having 130 forward collision warnings in 19 minutes on a 3-mile drive

Well the other being a 19 minute 3 mi drive after 10:00 p.m. which is stupid..

But more so that I was quoted one number and never told that this number could cut itself in half or triple itself
Except you were, and it's this lack of attention to detail that is a problem. Here is Tesla's insurance page: https://www.tesla.com/support/insurance

Tesla Insurance determines your premium using several factors like what vehicle you drive, where you live, how much you drive, what coverage you select and the vehicle’s monthly Safety Score. The safer you drive, the higher your Safety Score and the lower your insurance premium.

Follow the safety score link, and you get deep details on what they use, which includes aggressive driving and night driving.

I mean, when you sign up they literally tell you how they set your initial rates and that your future safety score will adjust your rates:
Your Tesla Insurance premium is determined based on what vehicle you drive, your provided garaging address, how much you drive, what coverage you select and the vehicle’s monthly Safety Score. We assume a Safety Score of 90 when you first sign up. Your premium can adjust monthly based on your Safety Score and miles driven. Your premium can also adjust upon renewal for reasons including vehicle aging and updates in the base cost of your plan. Tesla Insurance will always notify you in advance of your new monthly premium.

What were you paying in CA? Also are you aware that due to the reduced regulation in Texas, insurance on average is higher there than CA? Insurance varies wildly by state.

Except you were, and it's this lack of attention to detail that is a problem. Here is Tesla's insurance page: https://www.tesla.com/support/insurance

Follow the safety score link, and you get deep details on what they use, which includes aggressive driving and night driving.

I mean, when you sign up they literally tell you how they set your initial rates and that your future safety score will adjust your rates:

What were you paying in CA? Also are you aware that due to the reduced regulation in Texas, insurance on average is higher there than CA? Insurance varies wildly by state.
I signed up in California
and I called in, to transfer in Texas
I was never made aware of a variable rate because it didn't exist in California
If memory serves I think I was paying 120 a month out in California with no safety score BS