Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The skull of my left (driver) side mirror has broken. How can I fix it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PXL_20240226_215330752.jpg
PXL_20240226_215319958.jpg
PXL_20240226_215258512.jpg
PXL_20240226_215304469.jpg
The skull of my left (driver) side mirror has broken. Tesla Service Center is asking for close to $1,148 for repair. Is this a fair quote and are there any other options that I have to repair this for cheap?

You can either sign up with service.tesla.com for a free subscription. That allows you access to the electronic parts catalog. Look up all the parts you need to replace and then order them through the service request, just say you want to buy these parts (name, part#, quantity). I found this video when I needed parts for my MYP:

Or just have service (or any mechanic) fix it and bill you?

Upvote 0
I had a similar situation with my Lexus. It turned out no matter which way you went. The cost was $1500. The problem is that the part comes unpainted and has to be primed, painted and clearcoated. Further, it Has to be hooked up which is labor cost. I wound up gluing the shell together and just accepting that it did not look right. So sorry, but it looks like that’s what you’ll have to do or just replace the mirror and pay the part Piper.

Upvote 0
Maybe try to find a dismantler in your area
or search on e-Bay, Facebook Market Place, or CraigsList.

If the mirror is not broken, and the mirror can still be adjusted or flip when you lock the car,
and since you still have the original part, try to fix the frame using some plastic cement,
and buy a side mirror cover on Amazon or AliExpress.

Upvote 0
Maybe try to find a dismantler in your area
or search on e-Bay, Facebook Market Place, or CraigsList.

If the mirror is not broken, and the mirror can still be adjusted or flip when you lock the car,
and since you still have the original part, try to fix the frame using some plastic cement,
and buy a side mirror cover on Amazon or AliExpress.
If relative prices are anything like when the video was made or when I bought my parts, it would cheaper from Tesla (and better).

The underbody panel (rear fascia diffuser 1494007-00-B) was more expensive from any online store I could find and even worse was the fact they were all used (dirty and or scuffed). It made zero sense to pay more for used parts, when you could get a brand new part from Tesla.

Another example, the hitch cover (1494009-00-A). Most places list it at $50. Google even shows one eBay listing (could already be expired) for $75 and it’s “pre-owned.” I think it was even higher when I looking. But it costed me $15 brand new from Tesla.

If nothing else, I would recommend using Tesla’s EPC for the part numbers and then asking Tesla for prices while doing your own search. Once they give a parts quote, then decide which way to go.

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
Upvote 0
Google even shows one eBay listing (could already be expired) for $75 and it’s “pre-owned.” I think it was even higher when I looking. But it costed me $15 brand new from Tesla.

Off topic to be sure, but I see that a lot. People selling stuff on ebay for more than you can get it new in the local store ... MUCH more

When it "fell of" did you verify with Sentry to see if it had been helped along the way?

Upvote 0
Off topic to be sure, but I see that a lot. People selling stuff on ebay for more than you can get it new in the local store ... MUCH more

When it "fell of" did you verify with Sentry to see if it had been helped along the way?
My hitch cover?

Oh, I had to replace it because it was “helped”… being blown out by the force of water in a flooded street. The same time the underbody panel got partially blown out and folded under itself. I only realized when it was making a LOUD scraping noise with the ground. I had to force one side of the car up a narrow curb in a parking lot and then try to stay on it until the dip in the pavement was deep enough for me to unfold the panel.

If you drive through a flood road, go really slow. I thought I was going slow, but guess not. Better yet, just find a non-flooded road.

Upvote 0