Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla dashboard design team

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About the sun:

I had the misfortune of having to spend last June and July in central Arizona, but the good fortune of having to do it with our Model S. I, and many others who live in such locations, can affirm that these vehicles' glass roofs are appropriately tinted both for proper viewing of Tesla's screens as well as for heat and UV irradiation. There is every reason to expect the Model 3 to be likewise.

Yup, sun on the screen is far down the list of concerns. Display technology delivers plenty of brightness.

This thinking is unfortunately in the minds of mainly architects, and such thinking has produced things like these anxiety inducing inhuman "dwellings":

GVFpUXU.jpg

You are an ant. You live in a grey box. You go to work at your desk. This is what we have decided is "modern now", so you must adapt. Now you also drive to your desk, in another desk. Contemporary architects raved about such buildings. "It's modern, unhindered by traditional approaches". For me it's a sad, dehumanizing piece of garbage.

The hysteria to be as original as possible is not a good thing, it just right away trashes stuff that was thought out, had a certain elegance and esthetic. But simply because it's traditional, therefore old, it's therefore bad. You can have different gages in front of you other than temperature, RPM etc. You can say that it's minimalistic. For me it's just sad and sterile empty space. "1984" that's what it communicates to me. With a giant screen so the Ministry of Truth can always keep an eye on me. And if Tesla is so bold, why keep the exterior so "traditional"? The front part, without the inelegant stump at the end, looks very Porsche like, which is not a bad thing. And strangely enough everyone seems to agree the exterior is awesome. For the interior (the dash really) we get this love-hate thing going on....

I'm sorry but with a big, and now confirmed, also horizontal screen, not even integrated into the dash this time, and the rest being empty space, yes I feel like they took a desk and put a steering wheel on it. The office has finally also crept into my car. No thanks. Digital has its purpose, analog has its purpose. Analog will always have its purpose because we are humans, and we have fingers. We like to touch things, feel they are real. Analog means one tactile, 3D button does one thing (or a few things), so you have to be careful to not make things too cluttered, of course. Digital means a flat piece of glass that can draw anything, in 2D. Practical. But it's also cold, soulless, virtual. You press your finger on a piece of glass. And perhaps annoyingly, you find yourself often click-click-clicking to get to what you want. Balance digital with analog (the real). Here there is no balance. Me, a human, has to adapt to it. Because it's modern. Screw that.

This is very frustrating because everything else I love about this car, and this company. But this is just too ridiculous looking. If this is what it ends up looking like inside, more or less, I won't be getting one.

You don't like the design choice. That's fine. I don't like log cabins but there's still a market for them. If you're trying to convince people that there's an objectively right choice here then this will be a really long thread.

Unless you are expert in ergonometry, and more specifically optic ergonomics, you do not, with all due respect, know what you're talking about. As always, you are free to use the internet to post your opinion, but your opinion is uninformed and it is not valid.
I am not an expert in optic ergonomics, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night...

Seriously, though, I've driven a Mini Cooper for 8 years now, which is saddled with the silly look down and right nonsense. It's icky, tiresome, and annoying. I don't like it. I don't want it in my next car. Blech.

Now, add a HUD to the center screen, and my opinion changes 100%. I love the idea of a HUD, especially one that is re-configurable/customizable like the S's display

I was already not a big fan of the Model S/X dash and I think the Model 3 one is heading even more in this, in my opinion, very wrong direction.

Agree. There's no reason electric drive has to come with such functional sacrifice. Things like menu-buried seat memory, on the center screen, join other buried functions that provide no tactile feedback and require that you take your eyes off the road. If you ask me, it comes down to traditional ergonomic approaches for drivers, versus being in service to some kind of statement. I don't want to make that trade, but Tesla keeps asking for it. More safety, more traction control, less ability to push the car or get the feeling its performance isn't in a straight jacket.

You don't like the design choice. That's fine. I don't like log cabins but there's still a market for them. If you're trying to convince people that there's an objectively right choice here then this will be a really long thread.

Well, my point with showing that piece of....architecture, is that unfortunately it's usually the "modernists" who are not only the ones obsessed with being original (and strangely end up becoming ridiculously similar to each other) but also they are the ones telling others that the old is bad, we have decided for you that this is new, and thus good, because we are professional designers and we need to make a statement. And it's they that force their opinion on other people. Getting back to Tesla, if it's the same designers that created both the exterior and interior, check them for schizophrenia. This is a schizophrenic design. The exterior with it's "traditional" headlights, tail lights, smooth sexy feminine flowing forms, unified....pleases everybody. Nobody complains that it's boring, or old. Why is that? It's not terribly bold design-wise, to use a term designers like. Either make the whole thing cutting edge, brutalist, minimalist, "bold", whatever...or have a balanced design, exterior with interior.

As I said, it's just very frustrating, hence my reaction. Because I saw the exterior.....coooool, awesome, great....and then.....what the f*ck is that??? If the exterior had the same vibe as the interior I would have just said....meh....not my cup of tea, too bad. Of course this is just my opinion, no need to constantly mention that I hope. I've gotten it out of my system. If you love it, in and out, and you've decided to get it, then great for you, I'm envious.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone at the Model 3 reveal/drive event got to see this and can comment, but regarding the instrument panel/dashboard/touchscreen issue, did anyone see the US DOT required warning lights in front of the driver & steering wheel? I know that in the USA there have to be certain warning/indicator lights that illuminate at engine start/bootup and then illuminate later for issues with the braking system, ABS, etc. There has to be a headlight & fog light indicator and high beam indicator. I know that the power up lamp display is a bit superfluous on the S and X instrument panel since there are no lamps to fail and thus no need for the traditional lamp test. But I presume that the US DOT (the same one that requires rear view mirrors when presumably cameras would be better and more aerodynamic) would still require indicator 'lamps ' in an arrangement for the driver to see. Are these now all in the new 15" touchscreen? If not, where are they on the Model 3? And if there is a small strip of indicators or the like, why not shoehorn in a small display for speed, gear (drive/reverse), etc.

Not sure if anyone at the Model 3 reveal/drive event got to see this and can comment, but regarding the instrument panel/dashboard/touchscreen issue, did anyone see the US DOT required warning lights in front of the driver & steering wheel? I know that in the USA there have to be certain warning/indicator lights that illuminate at engine start/bootup and then illuminate later for issues with the braking system, ABS, etc. There has to be a headlight & fog light indicator and high beam indicator. I know that the power up lamp display is a bit superfluous on the S and X instrument panel since there are no lamps to fail and thus no need for the traditional lamp test. But I presume that the US DOT (the same one that requires rear view mirrors when presumably cameras would be better and more aerodynamic) would still require indicator 'lamps ' in an arrangement for the driver to see. Are these now all in the new 15" touchscreen? If not, where are they on the Model 3? And if there is a small strip of indicators or the like, why not shoehorn in a small display for speed, gear (drive/reverse), etc.

On my 2001 Toyota Echo those were also moved with the speedometer to the middle of the dash. So I don't think there is a requirement to place them right in front of the driver...

I could be wrong though.

Hey all,

Just joined after reserving what could be my first EV. Excited that it would be a Tesla. Been a fan for many years and I'm impressed what Tesla has achieved.
I was a bit surprised how minimalist the interior is really. It will certainly take some getting used to. They seem to be going exactly the opposite direction of what a modern day porsche is like. Although I wish there were a few more buttons. Surely the production version could change . I think a good HUD would make up for the lack of a instrument cluster. Although that does add cost and I'm skeptical this would be a standard feature given the price point they're shooting for.
I do like the fact that the new screen is landscape mode as it lends to better ergonomics and better safety. The bottom of the model S screen is so low it seems like it would be a distraction if you had to press a button down below. It would require you to take your eyes off the road. This basically eliminates that problem. Although this orientation does make it hard to integrate it into the dash. I think that's probably why they had to mount it the way it is now.
I'm excited to see what the future holds for model 3.

One cool idea could be the concept of "smart phone as top dash console". This would allow you dock/charge yourr phone to the location reserved for the dash console, and connect to the car via bluetooth/wifi and pump stats to the phone.

You could choose whatever cockpit dash suits you fancy via the app and it would not add any cost to the car.

This thread actually inspired me to sign up for this forum, after quite some time lurking. Everyone has their opinion about design issues, that's arguably one of the best things about design - the only way you can be "wrong" is if no one buys your product.

I've always admired the Model S's design inside and out, thought the big touchscreen inside would be distracting, but then visited Tesla stores a few times and nearly blew my wad on one more than once, haha. Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should though. When I heard news of the Model 3 came I was ecstatic, lined up outside the store at dawn even.

When the reveal came, I liked the exterior right away (despite the nose being a bit... unfinished looking, it grew on my quickly enough). When they showed the interior though... the dash is rough. As many others have said before, the monitor looks somewhat haphazardly pinned into place (though I like it landscape), the steering wheel has no shortcuts, and call me old but I really LIKE having a dash cluster in front of me. I've spent more time driving in my life than not driving at this point, and I'm only in my 30s, and that's what I'm used to. It doesn't have to be huge, but it has to offer the most vital information either via gauges, displays, or HUD. If Tesla really wants to innovate, they should look to Magic Leap's technology of painting a display directly on your retina, leaving your eyes free to look anywhere they want.

I also understand the want for physical, 3D knobs and buttons. They allow you to learn the physical position of a function, so you can use it without having to take your eyes off the road. Unfortunately that's a compromise that must be made in order to deliver always newer software to cars - if the button/knob layout changed, the older cars would be left out in the cold. It should be just that, though - a compromise. Currently we have an interface that requires YOU change to IT, and that's not a very comfortable way to be. A second display would hardly become outdated.

Eh, worst case scenario I sell my Model 3 to someone who decided they wanted one after the full production model comes out but doesn't want to wait, and pick up a used Model S.

The dash was specifically talked about in one of the Periscope test drive videos. Motor trend asked the Tesla driver (Doug) about the minimalist dash, and how close it was to what would be in production. Doug said it was pretty close, and that the team really thought a lot about what the experience should be for autonomous driving.

He also mentioned the air vents, and talked about how they thought through the cabin design and airflow, so I don't think the absence of air vents means that they will add some prior to production.

Having had a 2nd-gen Prius with the speedo tucked up top and off to the side (and hating that - especially the glare on the windshield it caused at night), and a Scion before with the speedo in the center (and hating it) - Yes, a driver instrument binnacle please.

Fingers crossed for the dash being completely preliminary/unfinished.

Ah yes, the glare. I don't like the glare (and apparently some felt can help with that) but I really don't care about the central position. Bowling taught me to look with my eyes instead of my head, so it's just another place to glance along with the rear-view mirror.

But, anyway, being "Cars by Elon" it's not going to happen. They did the minimum they needed to do. You had the shape, passenger space, trunk, frunk, touchscreen. Everything else up for grabs.

There are a few things that I am surprised no one has picked up on in this thread yet. Let me start by saying that I have spent the last 18 hours chasing after every video on the internet of people's first drive experiences from last night and there are 3 things that are iterated in every single video by the Tesla drivers last night:
1. The version of the vehicle that we saw last night is a prototype BUT it is very close to production ready pending safety certifications and such.
2. In this video Tesla Motors @TeslaMotors the Tesla driver clearly states that the open dash with the center screen is very much how they wanted this vehicle to be designed. So people hoping for a physical instrument cluster in front of the driver will likely be disappointed.
3. This is the most important one of them all and follow me here. All of the drivers said that part of the design was the glass roof so that they could fit adults comfortably in the rear. So they moved the back seat back and THE FRONT SEATS FORWARD.

By moving the fronts seats forward they, for lack of a better word, 'squishing' the dash a bit so the ability to have a traditional dash in front of the driver was likely nearly impossible from an engineering perspective to make it look right. Because the entire dash sits much lower than ones in the MS, MX or many other vehicles on the road.

The only way that I think we see something directly in front of the driver is some form of HUD. But the way I see it, the only way that happens and why it would have been omitted last night , is because Tesla designed some new state of the art HUD for this vehicle. And while I very much hope that this is the case, I HIGHLY doubt that they would engineer something like this for their $3500 vehicle. This is more of a feature that would be released into a price increased MS that we know is coming sometime soon.

So maybe if/when we see a new iteration of the MS, we may get some clues about this based on what goes into the MS.

I highly encourage everyone to watch Tesla Motors @TeslaMotors (same as above) a couple of times, because there are other things talked about that aren't relevant to this particular thread.

Reactions: SageBrush