Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'The Tesla Experience' for 2nd owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone opine on how Tesla interacts with Owners who are not the original owners of the vehicle? I am contemplating purchasing an '08 and, although I recognize I will not be spending what the original owners spent for their cars, I would still hope to be treated well by Tesla (I am also considering putting down a deposit on an S).

Any thoughts, opinions, experiences, etc. would be welcomed.

2nd Owner Opinion

I am a second owner for #255 and I have been VERY pleased with the Tesla and their service. Since I am out of the
area a roving ranger came to my house and I was very pleased with the experience.

My first interaction was when I posted on a forum a problem with a leaking soft top and the next day I had a note from a customer service advocate on how to address the problem.

So bottom line I would not have any concerns. BUT if you do not live by a Tesla store there is a charge $1/mile for the ranger to come and visit. Unfortunately you or a local garage can only do the most basic of repairs. So be prepared for the extra costs.

as a 2nd roadster owner of a few months: based on what i have read here on the forums versus my own experience, i think there is a difference. either that or tesla customer service is just changing over time as the company grows.

I purchased a used Roadster about 2 years ago and I have been extremely pleased with the way that Tesla has treated me. As far as I can tell, Tesla has treated me the same as if I had purchased it new.

i am a second owner (#835) and my experience is consistent with that described by jory - either there is a bias or there has been a change in quality of service overall. i say that based on a comparison of my experience with that described by initial purchasers. i also found a gap compared to what i expect with the purchase a car of this price level.

- chris

I'm the second owner of #783 and I've had to bring back my car numerous times for various things under warranty. I'm not sure what initial purchasers receive, but my car comes back nice and clean and good to go when I receive it. I suppose other dealers have a loaner car available for you at this price level but fortunately there's a train station nearby.

Augie

I am the third owner of #48 and am waiting right now for my car to arrive from service (the second time in 15 months). The service has been great and very responsive. I have never experienced such support from a car manufacturer. Perhaps some of the "signature" aura is still there? I live in Fresno so I am pretty isolated.

i am a second owner (#835) and my experience is consistent with that described by jory - either there is a bias or there has been a change in quality of service overall. i say that based on a comparison of my experience with that described by initial purchasers. i also found a gap compared to what i expect with the purchase a car of this price level.
Sorry to hear that ipdamages...
I am a 1st owner but in reading posts often find that there is a disparity between service centers. LA vs. Menlo Park, etc.
It may not necessarily be 1st wife vs. 2nd wife (aren't 2nd wives supposed to be trophy wives?) but where you service it.

From what I've seen, once something gets resold, it is much more likely to be sold again. This is true for just about anything - cars, houses, whatever. Second owners have less commitment, I suppose.

I am the third owner of #753, and I can tell you that it would take a lot for me to ever consider selling it to another owner. I have added a double-din stereo, doing the retrofit to the dash panel, systematically transformed the car from a 2.0 to a 2.25, and intend to add bixenon headlights and sound dampening in the near future. Suffice it to say, I'm committed to Tesla for the long haul. My motivation for purchasing this car was value (not to be confused with price). For the sacrifice of several thousand miles, I was able to save $70K of depreciation. I immediately had the car checked out by Tesla after purchasing it, and it was in excellent shape (including the battery).

And for the record, my experience with Tesla has been quite excellent. The Chicago operation is top notch and the Ranger that has worked on my car is nothing short of fantastic.

As far as the argument that second hand cars, houses, etc. have a greater tendency to be sold, it may just be a perception thing. After all, an equal number of first time buyers had to sell those cars, houses, etc. in the first place to make them second hand! :) If you look at the ratios of sold to kept, my guess is that it doesn't rise for a secondhand or thirdhand item.