Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The tesla tax. Post your stories.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m going around trying to price ceramic tints generally I’ve seen quoted from $700 for all around to under $900. One shop recommended by TMC members in the inland empire in California has really great deals for all windows minus windshield for $555. They booked fully and have a one month wait list. And $725 for everything ceramic tint. Another shop in Atascadero, recommended by a member has all windows minus windshield for $600.

The tesla tax: so I’m driving around my city trying to get a quote but to also look at the tint shade. I have gone to this shop several times the past 5 yrs; they did my 2010 gti as well as my bmw. They charge sane prices for those. I drove in and they were working on an Audi and in the back a white model 3 (looks sick!). Anyway guy starts telling me prices ranging from $2000 to 2400!!!! Talking about 3M crystaline ceramic is really quality, it’s special, it’s the best blah blah blah. That’s crazy!

The dude who works for him this Latin, really great guy. I remember he worked on my windows before just looks on. This owner is just spreading nonsense. Anyway, I’m going with a different shop obviously. Its silly to charge that much when the difference is the car maker. Put a bad taste in my mouth. I wrote a negative google review and the owner replied saying he never said those things. Ohhhkay I guess I’m delusional.

I got a local quote to do mine and then scheduled it at a reputable local shop. They quoted me $700 total for the sides, full one piece rear and windshield. This quote was for ceramic all around....

They were booked solid but I am getting it done on the 17th of July..

Good luck, hope you find a reputable shop not trying to gouge..

I have not had any Tesla tax yet but won't be surprised if and when it does happen..

A tint shop I took my Model 3 to charged me $700 for ceramic tint. One year later, my wife called to have her Model 3 tinted exactly like mine they quoted her $1300. Maybe not a Tesla tax but a woman tax, either way it was pretty messed up. We found a awesome shop for her car through this forum for a fraction of the cost.

I got a local quote to do mine and then scheduled it at a reputable local shop. They quoted me $700 total for the sides, full one piece rear and windshield. This quote was for ceramic all around....

They were booked solid but I am getting it done on the 17th of July..

Good luck, hope you find a reputable shop not trying to gouge..

I have not had any Tesla tax yet but won't be surprised if and when it does happen..
Ya I found a good one. They’re booked until July 27 on weekends. But I like how they do model 3 and are aware of the electronics under the windshield that takes extra care to protect. The guy that wanted to charge $2400 blew off my question about the windshield electronics.

A tint shop I took my Model 3 to charged me $700 for ceramic tint. One year later, my wife called to have her Model 3 tinted exactly like mine they quoted her $1300. Maybe not a Tesla tax but a woman tax, either way it was pretty messed up. We found a awesome shop for her car through this forum for a fraction of the cost.
Nice yah that could be the tesla tax in action plus 10% gender difference fee lol

Those prices are ridiculous! I normally have my cars done in ceramic for $300ish but I took my Tesla to a place in Indianapolis Indiana called Clear Bra Indy. They charge $550 for Pinnacle Ceramic all the way around and the back is done in one piece. They want $300 for the front windshield but they warned me of the sensitive electronics up front. They said they have done some and they use soak ropes but anything could happen and I had to sign a waiver to get it done. I thought about it and declined the windshield.

This place was phenomenal. They do a ton of Tesla's and they have a lot of high dollar cars which is reassuring when you see that. They even gave me a loner for a day so that made things easy.

In Brooklyn NY I was quoted $1200 for all windows including a single sheet back window or $1000 for all and 2 sheet'er back window -

...I'm opting for both roof shades.

I started roaming nearby states, Guy in Delaware told me he wont touch the car for fear of damaging some of the electronics- an honest guy

I just had top of the line Xpel cermaic, Prime XR Plus, installed on all windows except for the windshield and small roof window. Total cost was $700 out the door. Very pleased with Sunshield Tinting in Sherman Oaks.

BTW, I asked them how much it would cost to install the same tint on my wife's Honda Accord. They quoted me $350. But I do not think this is a Tesla tax as much as it is a reality that the M3 uses A LOT more tint than other cars (just look at the size of the rear window). And also the rear window, 1-piece installation is a lot more work. I watched the guy install it and he knew what he was doing. I am happy to pay a very skilled installer for his expertise and have it done right.

Personally, I would want to have the tint installed at a local shop, since the Xpel comes with a lifetime warranty. If I ever have a problem, I would want to be able to drive quickly and easily to the installer to fix or replace the tint. I would not drive 50+ miles to save $100.

I went with a forum vendor @Premiertint to have my Xpel ppf, Xpel tint and chrome delete installed. There were shops a lot closer to me and a little cheaper, but I went with @Premiertint for their reputation of quality work and excellent customer service. Personally, I am completely satisfied with my decision in choosing Premier Auto Tint and I'm willing to pay the extra cost for peace of mind and a quality installation.

• Love
Reactions: Premiertint
I'm not sure what he uses, but my tint guy charged me $450. He said normally he would charge $550+ for a Model 3. This was all windows, 1-piece rear glass, and the windshield.

For reference, my other cars he's done, granted no windshield tint, was $200. He just works out of his garage, so not much overhead.