Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

theory for hold up of locked SR battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so evidence seems clear the battery will degrade proportionately over time. However, I now have a somewhat new worry I hadn't considered before. In the past model S software locked versions were able to charge faster than an unlocked version at a supercharger near the end of a charge, indicating a mostly top-locked battery. This has been well established. If they do the same for the SR like they should and I'm sure intended to, cool.

However, until Tesla actually releases the software lock, we will not know if they plan to do this. My worry is that with all the complaining coming from SR+ folks about having 'almost' the same car as a SR and demanding a refund for the difference, Tesla is now trying to find ways to differentiate the cars before they do the actual update. One way may very well be to mostly bottom-lock the battery instead of mostly top-lock like done previously on the S's. This would result in much slower charge for the SR from 80-100%, and really suck. Basically, you'd have 180-200 miles minus a buffer at the bottom, for supercharger trips, because charging to 100% will take forever.

I honestly think this could be the hold up for the software lock and why it hasn't occurred yet. They are engineering a way to make it worse (bottom-locked) solely as a response to the complaining of SR+ owners. Hopefully, making Tesla waste time and money trying to engineer ways to make a car worse will make these folks happy.

I have an SR ready for delivery next week. May try and push it back until this is cleared up.

I wish they would just come out with the final update already.

Any thoughts?

They are engineering a way to make it worse (bottom-locked) solely as a response to the complaining of SR+ owners. Hopefully, making Tesla waste time and money trying to engineer ways to make a car worse will make these folks happy.
You sound serious. You’re reading the forums too much!

There are things they could do to further limit the car but suboptimal use of the battery would just be stupid.

Last edited:
There are thing they could do to further limit the car but suboptimal use of the battery would just be stupid.
Yes, it would be very stupid. And if true, it's a legitimate reason not to buy the car, for me. Obviously, I don't think this will happen. I also don't think the probability is 0. I'm giving it maybe 10-15% chance. That's a decent shot. If others think it is ZERO or close to it, I'll stop worrying. If its closer to 40 or 50, I'd be very concerned.

@gary3411

I am not always right because I underestimate how far Elon is willing to capitulate to crying babies but it seems slim to me that 3SR cars will actually get downgraded in the end.

Tesla stopped most orders of it already by taking it off the menu.

A code base for those few limited cars just doesn’t seem worth it.

With they said, if you want to be risk adverse you can just get the SR+ package and sleep well at night And get discounted AP that is the way to go.

Otherwise do not cry if the hammer ever does come down.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Ok so evidence seems clear the battery will degrade proportionately over time. However, I now have a somewhat new worry I hadn't considered before. In the past model S software locked versions were able to charge faster than an unlocked version at a supercharger near the end of a charge, indicating a mostly top-locked battery. This has been well established. If they do the same for the SR like they should and I'm sure intended to, cool.

However, until Tesla actually releases the software lock, we will not know if they plan to do this. My worry is that with all the complaining coming from SR+ folks about having 'almost' the same car as a SR and demanding a refund for the difference, Tesla is now trying to find ways to differentiate the cars before they do the actual update. One way may very well be to mostly bottom-lock the battery instead of mostly top-lock like done previously on the S's. This would result in much slower charge for the SR from 80-100%, and really suck. Basically, you'd have 180-200 miles minus a buffer at the bottom, for supercharger trips, because charging to 100% will take forever.

I honestly think this could be the hold up for the software lock and why it hasn't occurred yet. They are engineering a way to make it worse (bottom-locked) solely as a response to the complaining of SR+ owners. Hopefully, making Tesla waste time and money trying to engineer ways to make a car worse will make these folks happy.

I have an SR ready for delivery next week. May try and push it back until this is cleared up.

I wish they would just come out with the final update already.

Any thoughts?

Evidence does NOT show proportionate degradation, actually just the opposite. But more specifically evidence is showing that the battery will last about 300,000 miles.
Your previous motor wouldn't last that long, did you worry over it?

Stop worrying about the battery!!!

Reactions: TMThree
@gary3411,

Elon did say that SR owners would be offered the opportunity to upgrade to SR+ at anytime after purchase. So if you buy the car and then find out you don’t like the battery lockout method you can always upgrade to remove the lock.

I do think you are overthinking your purchase though. Once you get the car and start driving it you will forget all about this stuff.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP