Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There's a gap between the Model 3 Performance and Model S Long Range that Tesla needs to fill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I lean towards Tesla for my next purchase, I can't help but notice there is a big gap in price and performance between a Model 3 Performance and Model S Long Range. And not a small gap either, a pretty significant one.

Model 3 Performance - 11.8 @ 116 / 52k

Model S Long Range - 10.8 @ 130 / 84k

Why hasn't Tesla filled this gap. It seems some higher variant of the Model 3 could be missing. One that could be in the 60-70k range and runs low 11's with low 120's trap speed. 11.2 @ 122 for example.

I know Elon Musk isn't stupid so there must be a reason for this because it's clear as day. I just don't know the reasoning behind having this gap.

Because then you end up like BMW or Mercedes, who are cutting models because they have too much segmentation. There is no additional market to capture with such a car.

Now, if the question is, "why doesnt the model 3 have a ludicrous option" or something like that, I imagine that is because you dont want to discourage people from buying your higher trim.

BTW.. the model 3 performance IS in the "60-70k" range, so perhaps you mean 75-85k range?

I'll give you an opinion: car manufacturers are looking at high volume sales to maximize their profits. They need to build cars that a lot of people will buy. The Model 3 and Y fit that bill pretty well. The Model 3 performance rivals many higher-priced performance cars already. Manufacturers will also create a few models that are low-volume in some niches but that's to attract attention. The Model S Plaid is one such example. You can see that as marketing almost. There is no need to fill any gap unless it's a 100,000 car plus business.

Reactions: Watts_Up
As I lean towards Tesla for my next purchase, I can't help but notice there is a big gap in price and performance between a Model 3 Performance and Model S Long Range. And not a small gap either, a pretty significant one.

Model 3 Performance - 11.8 @ 116 / 52k

Model S Long Range - 10.8 @ 130 / 84k

Why hasn't Tesla filled this gap. It seems some higher variant of the Model 3 could be missing. One that could be in the 60-70k range and runs low 11's with low 120's trap speed. 11.2 @ 122 for example.

I know Elon Musk isn't stupid so there must be a reason for this because it's clear as day. I just don't know the reasoning behind having this gap.
A great way of filling the gap would be to offer more choice in colours, upholstery/interior fit-out etc. The difference between the interior of a Model 3 and a Model S is quite stark. We are not all obsessed with performance.