Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thermometer slow to adjust?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else having a problem with their termometer registering the change in temperature within a reasonable amount of time? Just yesterday after pulling out of my garage (low 60's) and driving for several minutes 10-15, before the thermometer showed the correct exterior temperature of 35 degrees. I'm used to my BMW's reflecting the difference in temperature within a minute or two of leaving the garage.

Reactions: ss71
I just wrapped up my mobile service appointment, the tech was very helpful but not able to pinpoint what is going on. He did tell me the system first looks at the 12v battery for temperature as the sensor under the front spoiler can be confused from the heat of a parking lot for instance? Regardless, he suggested I pull a bug report the next time it happens (which is basically every day I pull out of my garage) and submit a service request so someone can take a look at the bug report from my car. He said I can simply access the voice command to create the report. I will continue to update with any new information.

Upvote 1
UPDATE-

I just got my car back from the Devon Service Center and thankfully it went WAY better than the first appointment. I spoke with the technician over the phone and explained in detail what was happening and the various "fixes" that have been posted here. They pulled the bug reports and confirmed it is a software bug and we should expect a fix in an upcoming release. The tech told me he was experiencing the same issues we are with his car.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, our effort will payoff.

Upvote 1
Is anyone else having a problem with their termometer registering the change in temperature within a reasonable amount of time? Just yesterday after pulling out of my garage (low 60's) and driving for several minutes 10-15, before the thermometer showed the correct exterior temperature of 35 degrees. I'm used to my BMW's reflecting the difference in temperature within a minute or two of leaving the garage.

Mine is reacting way faster than in 15 minute increments. Not instantaneous, and the change adjustment is gradual (2-3F degrees at a time), but ~3-5 minutes after I exit the garage, it's clue to true ambient.
Pretty similar the speed of adjustment in the bimmer.

Your external temp sensor may be problematic.
Good luck getting Tesla to address it.

Upvote 0
Same problem. It can take up 10 to 15 mins to get the right temperature on my MYP. My accord would give it to me Within 2 mins tops. Because of that sometimes when the HVAC is on auto setting it will not properly work because the car think it’s hotter than really is so it will blow cold or warm air instead of hot, or the opposite in summer time.

Upvote 0
Well i checked again today and after 20 mins the temperature still wasn’t right. This morning when i left the temperature outside was 0C (32F). Car was parked inside the garage which is at around 13C (55F) car showed it was 19C (66F). Took the car out drove for 15 mins highway included when i arrived to destination car was showing 20C (68F)
So it when up 1 degrees even know it was 0C (32F). Parked outside for 2 hours came back and the temperature was on the dot 3C (37F).
Anyone knows where is the thermometer in the Model Y?

Upvote 0
I had a 9 minute drive this morning and thought of looking at this too. Started from a 14C garage, outside temp 0C. I arrived at my destination 9 minutes later and the car indicated 5C. I guess a few more minutes would have brought it to 0C. I have a 2020 model 3.
With that said, it's sunny outside today. The sun warms the asphalt a bit. I don't have a thermometer to check but maybe the asphalt radiates something around 5C. I was moving slowly (city driving).
I remember in other cars in the summer the displayed temp would be a few degrees higher than the ambient air, which fits this theory. What you need (for security) is road temp, especially around freezing, you don't need air temp.

Typically those temperature sensors are somewhere in/under the front bumper. I don't know specifically for the model 3/Y.

Upvote 0
Same problem here and I think it actually is a problem. If I pull out of my garage where it's like 1°C and then it's -20°C outside, the cabin temperature doesn't seem to catch up until after the display sorts itself out. So it gets really cold in the car even though it's pre-heated, and then when the temp display sorts itself out it seems to catch up. I am not sure why it is so slow. My BMW was very quick and extremely accurate.

Upvote 0
Same problem here and I think it actually is a problem. If I pull out of my garage where it's like 1°C and then it's -20°C outside, the cabin temperature doesn't seem to catch up until after the display sorts itself out. So it gets really cold in the car even though it's pre-heated, and then when the temp display sorts itself out it seems to catch up. I am not sure why it is so slow. My BMW was very quick and extremely accurate.
You misunderstood the original post, not talking about the temp inside the car but rather the thermostat showing outdoor temp is slow to be accurate. You may need service for your interior temp problem.

Upvote 0