Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about buying my Dad's Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My parents own two S models - I believe the 65 version. My Dad, now 90, doesn't drive anymore. My plan was to buy an S in November. They are going to sell their 2015 and I was thinking of buying it. I definitely want to get full autopilot when available. Will a 2015 have the upgrade ability. What mileage range could I expect from a 4 year old Tesla S 65?

Thank you
Keith

My parents own two S models - I believe the 65 version. My Dad, now 90, doesn't drive anymore. My plan was to buy an S in November. They are going to sell their 2015 and I was thinking of buying it. I definitely want to get full autopilot when available. Will a 2015 have the upgrade ability. What mileage range could I expect from a 4 year old Tesla S 65?

Thank you
Keith
A 2015 has AP1. There is no upgrade available to full autopilot. The only option would be to buy autopilot convenient features if it wasn't added at time of purchase.

Thank you
Keith

This explains all the different versions over the years...

https://www.teslaadviceblog.com/blog/buying-guide-model-s-versions-1-2-3-and-4

Don't assume you need AP2. Drive an AP2 car first. Rent on Turo.

You have a car with a known history, hard to put a price on that. Plus free SC. You may have things like SAS, pano that are desireable. 2015 is a good year.

Check out Tesla Tap and EV CPO Hunter for the owner's manual and pricing/option codes respectively.

Reactions: .jg.
Don't assume you need AP2. Drive an AP2 car first. Rent on Turo.

You have a car with a known history, hard to put a price on that. Plus free SC. You may have things like SAS, pano that are desireable. 2015 is a good year.

Check out Tesla Tap and EV CPO Hunter for the owner's manual and pricing/option codes respectively.
He does need an AP2 car. OP has stated he wants an upgrade path to FSD. Right or wrong it's his decision to make. And that doesn't mean he has to give up free supercharing. I have it but think it might be over rated. I find it much more convenient to charge at home. It's nice on road trips but how many of those do you really make?

I think free supercharging is overrated, especially now that I've used it more in the past few months. If you don't do a road trip every 2 days, there is absolutely no gain to it. Sure, it will save you some change, but you're buying a $50-80k car, does that really mean that much?

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
Dark +1. Free SC is good to brag to non EV owners, but that gets old quick.

Buying used reduced the depreciation and insurance costs. I believe buying new cars is a great destroyer of wealth.

Had I not kept my DD for 25 years, no way I could afford the (Used of course!) Tesla I bought last year.

Reactions: darxsys
Buy your dads car, you know the history and there is no sales tax for father son transfer (at least in Ontario). There is no such thing as FSD today even though the latest hardware may be capable (Tesla said that for AP2.0 back in 2016, but that was wrong).

FSD may come next year, maybe in 5 years. Buy a new Tesla then, and that would be your upgrade path.

Your dad’s AP1.0 probably doesn’t drive all that differently than the latest AP3 new Tesla with current software.

Reactions: IdaX and Evoforce
I think free supercharging is overrated, especially now that I've used it more in the past few months. If you don't do a road trip every 2 days, there is absolutely no gain to it. Sure, it will save you some change, but you're buying a $50-80k car, does that really mean that much?
These cars are far less than 50-80k. I just bought a great condition 2014 85kwh, with 50k miles, for $36k. I have superchargers within a mile or two from my house and plan to use them weekly once they are turned on. With all due respect, the people who say "you're buying an expensive car, you shouldn't care about expensive fixes or not having unlimited supercharging" assume that everyone has extra money to throw around just because one owns a Tesla. Not a valid point whatsoever.

Reactions: aerodyne
These cars are far less than 50-80k. I just bought a great condition 2014 85kwh, with 50k miles, for $36k. I have superchargers within a mile or two from my house and plan to use them weekly once they are turned on. With all due respect, the people who say "you're buying an expensive car, you shouldn't care about expensive fixes or not having unlimited supercharging" assume that everyone has extra money to throw around just because one owns a Tesla. Not a valid point whatsoever.
Even if I do have extra money why would I want to throw it around on Tesla related expenses? I rather use what ever throw around money there is on Broadway shows, trips to Costa Rica or dancing girls (kidding). However, I do think the free supercharing is over rated.