Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking About Selling Camaro SS 1LE For a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There doesn't seem to be much pattern in the way Tesla changes their pricing. If you find a car at a price you can accept, I'd go for it. There's a general downward direction, but it has also gone up a bit from time to time. I suspect battery tech is going to get a lot cheaper in the next few years so I hope pricing will continue to drop for all EVs

Reactions: 1LE McQueen
I went from a 19 MPG 2006 Corvette Z06 (505 hp / 7.1 liter / 6-speed manual / 3,100 lbs.) to a 90 MPGe Ludicrous 2015 Model S P85D. Our Tesla is WAY more fun, easier and a LOT cheaper to drive. Honestly don't miss my Corvette at all, especially since it had some GM gremlins (Active Handling System hardware failure 7 times, intake/exhaust heads had to be replaced since machined improperly at supplier, etc.). DEFINITELY don't miss going to the gas stations... or getting in & out of the Corvette ("car yoga").

Oh and our Ludicrous P85D is MUCH faster 0 to 60 than the Corvette Z06 (2.9 vs. 4.0 seconds) and requires no special driving skills. OTOH the Corvette needed me to go to a 3-day professional driving school at Spring Mountain Motorsports Club race track to feel comfortable... and safe... driving at speed. I also don't miss paying $2,000 for set of tires and $1,200 for brake pads & rotors... or heating & stinking up our garage when I pulled it in the garage, idling the 7.1 liter (427 cu. in.) motor just to run the AC, and Chevrolet Stealerships. NOPE DON'T MISS THE CORVETTE AT ALL...

I went from a 19 MPG 2006 Corvette Z06 (505 hp / 7.1 liter / 6-speed manual / 3,100 lbs.) to a 90 MPGe Ludicrous 2015 Model S P85D. Our Tesla is WAY more fun, easier and a LOT cheaper to drive. Honestly don't miss my Corvette at all, especially since it had some GM gremlins (Active Handling System hardware failure 7 times, intake/exhaust heads had to be replaced since machined improperly at supplier, etc.). DEFINITELY don't miss going to the gas stations... or getting in & out of the Corvette ("car yoga").

Oh and our Ludicrous P85D is MUCH faster 0 to 60 than the Corvette Z06 (2.9 vs. 4.0 seconds) and requires no special driving skills. OTOH the Corvette needed me to go to a 3-day professional driving school at Spring Mountain Motorsports Club race track to feel comfortable... and safe... driving at speed. I also don't miss paying $2,000 for set of tires and $1,200 for brake pads & rotors... or heating & stinking up our garage when I pulled it in the garage, idling the 7.1 liter (427 cu. in.) motor just to run the AC, and Chevrolet Stealerships. NOPE DON'T MISS THE CORVETTE AT ALL...

Unfortunately I know that the 6th gen Corvette had its fair share of issues. I can't complain about my Camaro, it's been an amazing experience.

The dealerships are slimey, the gas station at Costco always has a line, and the motor does gulp gasoline. I imagine all of the current nuisances will be relieved with the Tesla; albeit the Model 3 will present some new ones i'm sure. I visited the Tesla store once and they were all pretty nice. At that time the Model 3 was just announced.

Right, I think I agree. It's just that I need to be cost effective more so than performance oriented. Which then even asks the question if I should really be considering this.

I'm not in a rush to sell the Camaro, but if I can get similar / better performance numbers for the cost it'll be a no brainer.

there's your answer... if your current car still suits your needs, it will always be more cost effective to keep it than jump into a new loan with new car depreciation. wait till your car runs it's course as you say. reconsider when you need something with rear seats or when you want something faster, more utilitarian or whatever.
of course, we don' t always make decisions that way...

Reactions: jpk195
Pink Stickers aside, Amiri King makes some real strong points towards keeping the Camero.

Are you talking about this? Cause that was hilarious.

there's your answer... if your current car still suits your needs, it will always be more cost effective to keep it than jump into a new loan with new car depreciation. wait till your car runs it's course as you say. reconsider when you need something with rear seats or when you want something faster, more utilitarian or whatever.
of course, we don' t always make decisions that way...

I guess so. I definitely got it out of emotional appeal. But I have that same appeal with the Model 3. Undoubtedly it'll be much cheaper to maintain, which is definitely something to consider. God knows where i'll be in another year and the car is paid off. I'm not under warranty so technically anything could go wrong at any point. Might be smart to stay with the Camaro, might be smart to sell it before it depreciates any more and go with the Tesla.

I'm a bit lost in case you couldn't tell :D

I guess so. I definitely got it out of emotional appeal. But I have that same appeal with the Model 3. Undoubtedly it'll be much cheaper to maintain, which is definitely something to consider. God knows where i'll be in another year and the car is paid off. I'm not under warranty so technically anything could go wrong at any point. Might be smart to stay with the Camaro, might be smart to sell it before it depreciates any more and go with the Tesla.

I spent 9 months on the sideline, my only regret is not buying my first tesla sooner! If you know you want a Model 3 then go for it! Even the AWD ones are 4.4 seconds, which is plenty fast! You could get one for around 45k with discounts on a 2018 model!

Man I eat those Camaro's non stop... they stupid... I went from a supercharged forged 6.4L race built engine Jeep that made absolutely no sense after I switched.... Ya I miss the bad ass sound.. But I dont miss not being able to do pulls on my street without pissing everyone off. What I dont understand is why anyone would continue to make these cars.... it's only a matter of time.. Come on over... The Model 3P is a little monster.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I spent 9 months on the sideline, my only regret is not buying my first tesla sooner! If you know you want a Model 3 then go for it! Even the AWD ones are 4.4 seconds, which is plenty fast! You could get one for around 45k with discounts on a 2018 model!

haha, i'm regretting not waiting and buying it in the first place :D thanks! Really that's not a bad price.

Man I eat those Camaro's non stop... they stupid... I went from a supercharged forged 6.4L race built engine Jeep that made absolutely no sense after I switched.... Ya I miss the bad ass sound.. But I dont miss not being able to do pulls on my street without pissing everyone off. What I dont understand is why anyone would continue to make these cars.... it's only a matter of time.. Come on over... The Model 3P is a little monster.

You have a model S P100D? I'm not even sure if there's a quicker car on the market in the entire world!

I don't think I can afford the M3P but I'll go to Tesla this weekend and share what I've learned. Maybe I can rent out my Camaro on Turo for a little while to build up some more money.

Oh that's right Camarow, not Camero. Glad you found it.

I think I misunderstand your first sentence, but 5 years ago I was single, living at home, and making really good money as a server. Now I have a condo, increased HOA / ESCROW payments, a dead end career, a girlfriend (and her dog), we just got 2 loving kittens. 5 years ago it was my dream, now it's sort of my liability. I still love it though and don't want to rush anything.

I don't know your situation, but that's not the important part.
I have peers that earned parallel to myself, whom still have car payments!

at some point you have to control the want v. need to get in front of owning
not financing a depreciating asset, your condo likely is increasing in value,
it makes sense (prior to recent federal SALT tax overhaul) to finance an
appreciating asset.

haha if I could I would definitely be like you.

it's like losing weight, move more/eat less or earn more/spend less.
I would highly recommend paying off the camaro and at some point
saving enough to buy the next vehicle, then you are paying yourself.

I was the one who convinced my import loving dad to get a 2015 C7 Z51. He's since had it supercharged and is waiting for the reveal of the mid engine.

I'm not a fan of aftermarket superchargers, especially when there's
a factory version of the same integrated with active handling, launch
control etc etc. now let's talk about how much HP/TQ one can put
down on the street v how much more a supercharger delivers?
I going to guess his C7 LT1 can activate active handling in most
any gear?

Right, I think I agree. It's just that I need to be cost effective more so than performance oriented. Which then even asks the question if I should really be considering this.

I'm not in a rush to sell the Camaro, but if I can get similar / better performance numbers for the cost it'll be a no brainer.

Just mentioning that with the upcoming 5% update to the AWD nonP, it will be even quicker from both a dig and roll than your 1LE. And I'd wager if Ludicrous mode ever comes around (Elon did say it would a few years ago), it always leaves the option open for further performance, possibly paid for at your convenience. I know you're looking at the LR RWD but perhaps a used AWD wouldn't be too much of a stretch for you?

Attachments

• 40e5efb7-cc8a-4cc6-bd18-9ea374c8cf8c.jpg
    40e5efb7-cc8a-4cc6-bd18-9ea374c8cf8c.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 56
I'd recommend waiting till the end of Q2 now. Get a P3D from inventory or demo and reap the savings. It truly is a a monster and Tesla does discount inventory much more than ordering online. Someone got a P3D for 50k on this forum and gets all the tax incentives and rebates. End of quarter push Q2 will be better compared to this quarter as it's right before another phase out of the tax credit.

I’m coming from a Jaguar FType R- 550 hp and a seriously growling exhaust. Looking forward to the Model 3P. I’ve had a Tesla before and there is just nothing else like them. Tech is amazing and always improving (mostly). Performance is amazing. And cheap to own. I’m thinking insurance will be less on the Tesla for you as well???

Enjoy it. You won’t regret it.

Go for the performance version. Best to save money till end of quarter rush and then buy.
Once you are used to the LE1 any other model 3 may not work - May feel slow.

On the ice cars you push the accelerator while still in a turn so the engine revs up so by the time the car straightens up the power is there (and the chance of miscalculation) but in a Tesla you get instant torque (awd or per not the rear wheel drive) and it is good. The traction control is good enough on Tesla’s so even with full power on a turn you have reasonable control and minimal tire spin. The software makes this car - this from a “car guy” raised in Detroit. Never thought software would play this big a role in cars but it does.

Financially my vote is to keep what you have and pay it off. I said I was going to sell my 370z because the Tesla was faster, quieter, etc. All that happened is now I have a car payment for both because I couldn't part with the sounds and experience the Model 3 just doesn't deliver. Dont get me wrong it's a great daily, but it doesn't give me the performance car tickles that your car brings to the table.

Ignore the"Tesla savings" is smoke and mirrors it doesn't bring your monthly payment down

If you're really interested go drive the models you're interested in LR RWD, AWD and a performance version and I think you'll look for a used Performance. I've already seen a few for sale. The instant torque is kinda tricky for someone who has a high hp car...it tricks you into feeling faster than it really is at rolling speeds. Off the line its no contest

And let's not forget the comparison below. If you think the bottom looks better than the top you need your head examinened lol
Screenshot_20190323-212741_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Yes - you do miss the sound and the burning rubber. The emotional attachment and the memories that those sensory input trigger but ultimately it will come down to 0 to 100 mph at the red light sooner or later. 3PD delivers there - it can keep up at the hi end that is why only the performance version will do.
They are all toys - LE1 or Performance model 3 - big kid toys but still toys. Do not do it till you can afford it but you only live once and one day at a time.