Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking About Selling Camaro SS 1LE For a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, having an appreciating asset in my condo is great. I'm getting ready to sell it in the near future though and possibly move into a house. During this move i'm going to probably need a more practical car; hey, it helps me justify the need for a M3 lol.

Your logic makes sense. In my mind, while I will pay off my Camaro in the next year and a half, I think getting a Tesla will help in that the registration / maintenance stuff will save me a ton of money. My car is great but i'm sort of worried about the next thing breaking.

the only way to get ahead in depreciating but necessary assets such as cars
is to eliminate the double whammy of financing stacked on top of depreciation,
which means owning outright, saving until you have purchase price in hand.

I was fortunate that the S was/is too big for my needs & desires,
and the 3 was a 2 year order process, it allowed me to take my time
in marketing my 427, as I like you drove it daily, and didn't want to give
it away, even thought it was only mildly collectable!

as I said earlier, I wasn't really stoked about buying the 3,
in the trip to the delivery center, I was more concerned about the
transaction v excitement of the vehicle, till the drive home!
then it really set in how the world had changed, visceral throaty
engine sounds weren't necessary, just lighting quick throttle response.

As for my dads supercharged Z51, he got it for free. A business partner, who owns a ton of custom car shops, said he'd supercharge my dads vette for free if they moved forward with a deal. Of course that happened lol.

even at free, there are soo many elements involved in active handling,
launch control, electronic limited slip differentials that make aftermarket
add ons very complex, and in general a negative to drivability & value.

• Informative
Reactions: 1LE McQueen
Where can I find used Model 3's?
Check the Tesla forums, I've seen a few Performance versions listed for sale. I'm sure they will be a bit tough to find and will go quickly.

Do your finances and see what you think is best.

I truly had every intention after my M3 test drive/order I would sell the 370z. I tried all the self convincing, I can save on car insurance, gas, expensive sports tires, maintenance etc lol. After having my model 3 for a couple months I found myself not able to part with the Z as I planned. At thet end of the day the Teslas are expensive, from my math I need to keep it at least 7 years for the "ice savings" to actually add up to the higher overall purchase price of what I typically spend on a car car purchase 40-45k max

Good luck with your decision!! My problem is I just get bored of cars within a year or two...I need variety haha

Last edited:
I agree, having an appreciating asset in my condo is great. I'm getting ready to sell it in the near future though and possibly move into a house. During this move i'm going to probably need a more practical car; hey, it helps me justify the need for a M3 lol.

Your logic makes sense. In my mind, while I will pay off my Camaro in the next year and a half, I think getting a Tesla will help in that the registration / maintenance stuff will save me a ton of money. My car is great but i'm sort of worried about the next thing breaking.

As for my dads supercharged Z51, he got it for free. A business partner, who owns a ton of custom car shops, said he'd supercharge my dads vette for free if they moved forward with a deal. Of course that happened lol.

I think I could push for a AWD. Tesla's estimates are based on a 3.7 APR; with my credit union i'm currently paying 2.7 APR. Not to mention, I may get more for my Camaro then I previously thought. It's hard to get an estimate because my car is hard to find on the market.

When is this 5% update coming? That's awesome :D

A P3D for 50k?? Is that even possible? haha Tesla wanted to sell me the gray AWD for 48. I found out that custom ordering a AWD comes out to 2k more. It makes sense for me to sell my car Private Party, recover more money and then custom order the color I want. Maybe I could wait til end of Q2 and see if they have a P3D for me.?

Yeah I figured the "Tesla savings" was just there to make a sell look good. I think you and I differ in that you kept the 370z, but my DD is my Camaro 1LE.. which was made for the track. Consequentially i'm paying more than I should to keep it up and running. Paying it off makes sense, but cutting on maintenance costs does too. I think I really need to dig in to my finances and see if this even makes sense in the long term.

Where can I find used Model 3's? There's none in my area and Tesla's website doesn't have an option for it.

I'm well aware of the looks of the 1LE compared to the blue Model 3 ;)

450 for one tire??? I paid 1500 at Costco for all 4, and my tires are 295's (or maybe 305?). I bought the Michelin PSS.

Nice! I agree, white looks amazing. Your situation makes sense, and i'm glad you're enjoying your Model S. I'm afraid I might miss the 1LE too. I mean in the long term i'll go for a ZL1, assuming I can financially do so.. and my lady lets me. Though she keeps reminding me she wants a ring on her finger :p

Appreciate your input!
Just a side note, cheap registration in AZ ends after this year. Instead of paying $250 for 5 years you will pay like $400-600 a year. My tires were about $260 a tire so not sure where the $450 comes in.

Hi everybody, happy Sunday.

Sorry for my lack of presence, it has been a busy weekend. I'd like to respond to a lot of you and i'll do my best to do so tomorrow.

Today my girlfriend and I went to Tesla and talked to the reps for over an hour. We got to test drive the Model 3 (AWD) and man what an experience. That thing is QUICK. I'm not surprised, but it feels better than my Camaro. It's faster and takes turns like a dream. My biggest surprise was the power output on the highway. Even at 60 or 70 mph I was being pushed back into my seat at WOT. Dangerous car for sure as I see myself getting ticket after ticket. Also, it's an extremely composed car. No wheel slippage or squealing when we were taking a decently sharp turn at 50 mph. Maybe it's my inexperience but I can tell you my Camaro would be fish tailing and screaming along that turn. Is it more fun to do that? Heck yeah. But let's be real; i'm afraid of wearing out those expensive Michelins, and the Tesla handled better for my skill level.

They had a dark gray Model 3 AWD in stock for I think 48k, with 18" wheels. With a trade in they quoted my monthly payments being around 609 per month. I'm not satisfied with that, but the trade in was like 18k - I can get more selling private party. My current APR for the Camaro is %2.7 and I don't doubt I can get that again with my credit union.

They mentioned that I could get a 240 wall outlet for way less than the Tesla home wall charger. Like, stupid less. That being said I think I can comfortably move on to a Tesla and love every second of it. The only part of my Camaro i'd miss is that LS3 roar and the sexy looks. Over the weekend I got two more compliments from random people. I don't know if you all get that with the Tesla's. But now I also need to think if I should lock myself into a new 72 month loan, or pay off the Camaro in a year and a half and be happy. I wouldn't be happy with the maintenance costs and my Camaro is 5 years old. I love my Chevrolet but it's a matter of time before more expensive things start to break.

I know a few of you mentioned this, and i'm so sorry for my misinterpretation but tonight I found out about the Tesla Certified pre-owned page. I can actually get a 2014 or 15 P85D for the same price, if not a little bit cheaper. God now i'm really going to have fun researching the Model S and those older years. I should turn to you all though - would it be better to buy a new M3, or seriously consider a pre-owned P85D? Decisions decisions!

I got rid of my Nissan GTR for the Model 3 (mostly because of the high cost of maintenance and 60 dollars a week in gas). Was also worried about lack of performance and the silence of the Tesla that seemed to go against every part of gear head in me. After a few test drives I was sold and haven't looked back since. The aftermarket tuner scene has exploded for these as well! I do occasionally miss the pops and bangs of the Gtr rev matching as it downshifts but the model 3 has so much more to offer in terms of technology that it makes up for it. Plus you cant really beat the instant torque it produces!

I got rid of my Nissan GTR for the Model 3
Where were you before I bought my Tesla? Would have easily picked that over my model 3 lol. Then I could have had the 370z and it's big brother!

You're a rare case though. The GTR is an extremely costly car to maintain, much more than cars others on the forms have traded for the Model 3. I was between a Gallardo and GTR myself when I decided to keep the cash in my pocket and settle for a Model 3 until the economy showed it's longer term position

Check the Tesla forums, I've seen a few Performance versions listed for sale. I'm sure they will be a bit tough to find and will go quickly.

Do your finances and see what you think is best.

I truly had every intention after my M3 test drive/order I would sell the 370z. I tried all the self convincing, I can save on car insurance, gas, expensive sports tires, maintenance etc lol. After having my model 3 for a couple months I found myself not able to part with the Z as I planned. At thet end of the day the Teslas are expensive, from my math I need to keep it at least 7 years for the "ice savings" to actually add up to the higher overall purchase price of what I typically spend on a car car purchase 40-45k max

Good luck with your decision!! My problem is I just get bored of cars within a year or two...I need variety haha

Sorry i'm totally blind haha do you have the link? I unfortunately have to sell the Camaro before going to the Tesla, so i'm going to be carless for a few weeks until the Tesla can be delivered! It's looking more and more like i'm going to have to custom order one.

I'm with you, the Tesla is expensive. But looks like it's totally worth it.

Just a side note, cheap registration in AZ ends after this year. Instead of paying $250 for 5 years you will pay like $400-600 a year. My tires were about $260 a tire so not sure where the $450 comes in.

Thank you for the heads up! Definitely going to keep that in mind, that's a huge jump.

So it's looking more and more like I can make this happen. My credit union will do a 84 month loan - which means i'll be in debt for forever - but with the Tesla AWD, i'd be paying 450 per month (40 more than i'm doing now). This is with a %4.8 APR "quote". Sheesh! My credit score is above 700 so my fingers are crossed they'll bring that down. I tried for the P3D but that just isn't happening. I can't pull together another 10k for a 100 a month increase.

I'm sure this has been asked before.. why is there such a big distinction in acceleration if the AWD and AWD P have the same motors? There's a huge difference in the 0-60. Is this because the wheels, brakes, and lowered suspension itself isn't good enough for a 10k price difference?

Reactions: destructure00
So it's looking more and more like I can make this happen. My credit union will do a 84 month loan - which means i'll be in debt for forever - but with the Tesla AWD, i'd be paying 450 per month (40 more than i'm doing now). This is with a %4.8 APR "quote". Sheesh! My credit score is above 700 so my fingers are crossed they'll bring that down. I tried for the P3D but that just isn't happening. I can't pull together another 10k for a 100 a month increase.

I'm sure this has been asked before.. why is there such a big distinction in acceleration if the AWD and AWD P have the same motors? There's a huge difference in the 0-60. Is this because the wheels, brakes, and lowered suspension itself isn't good enough for a 10k price difference?
is that ONEAZ? AZ Fed could get 4.49-4.74% at 84 months.

Hi everybody, happy Sunday.

Sorry for my lack of presence, it has been a busy weekend. I'd like to respond to a lot of you and i'll do my best to do so tomorrow.

Today my girlfriend and I went to Tesla and talked to the reps for over an hour. We got to test drive the Model 3 (AWD) and man what an experience. That thing is QUICK. I'm not surprised, but it feels better than my Camaro. It's faster and takes turns like a dream. My biggest surprise was the power output on the highway. Even at 60 or 70 mph I was being pushed back into my seat at WOT. Dangerous car for sure as I see myself getting ticket after ticket. Also, it's an extremely composed car. No wheel slippage or squealing when we were taking a decently sharp turn at 50 mph. Maybe it's my inexperience but I can tell you my Camaro would be fish tailing and screaming along that turn. Is it more fun to do that? Heck yeah. But let's be real; i'm afraid of wearing out those expensive Michelins, and the Tesla handled better for my skill level.

They had a dark gray Model 3 AWD in stock for I think 48k, with 18" wheels. With a trade in they quoted my monthly payments being around 609 per month. I'm not satisfied with that, but the trade in was like 18k - I can get more selling private party. My current APR for the Camaro is %2.7 and I don't doubt I can get that again with my credit union.

They mentioned that I could get a 240 wall outlet for way less than the Tesla home wall charger. Like, stupid less. That being said I think I can comfortably move on to a Tesla and love every second of it. The only part of my Camaro i'd miss is that LS3 roar and the sexy looks. Over the weekend I got two more compliments from random people. I don't know if you all get that with the Tesla's. But now I also need to think if I should lock myself into a new 72 month loan, or pay off the Camaro in a year and a half and be happy. I wouldn't be happy with the maintenance costs and my Camaro is 5 years old. I love my Chevrolet but it's a matter of time before more expensive things start to break.

I know a few of you mentioned this, and i'm so sorry for my misinterpretation but tonight I found out about the Tesla Certified pre-owned page. I can actually get a 2014 or 15 P85D for the same price, if not a little bit cheaper. God now i'm really going to have fun researching the Model S and those older years. I should turn to you all though - would it be better to buy a new M3, or seriously consider a pre-owned P85D? Decisions decisions!
Your payments on the used car will be more

You pay the extra money and they will unlock some extra electrons.

the only way to get ahead in depreciating but necessary assets such as cars
is to eliminate the double whammy of financing stacked on top of depreciation,
which means owning outright, saving until you have purchase price in hand.

That depends entirely on the loan terms.

Lots of folks on here got loans in the ~1-2% range over the last year- it's much smarter to take loan money at/below the rate of inflation than it is to pay cash, and for as long a loan as you can get.

Software. That's the only 0-60 difference between the AWD and the P.

(a few buyers showed up to collect their P and found an AWD car instead, the dealer flashed it to P on the spot)

Do it. Swapped my ZL1 for a P3D. Kept the blue though. (Tesla blue isn't as dark in the sun)

Similar quoted 0-60 times but good luck getting the power to the ground with the Camaro. The pull from the P3D smokes the ZL1 at sub-hwy speeds, but lacks the same pull above 70mph as noted elsewhere.

Camaro definitely has more presence and the sound was incredible, but feels ancient next to the Tesla.

IMG_3765.jpeg
IMG_4347.jpeg

Reactions: Don TLR
Your payments on the used car will be more

How will the payments be higher? Do banks tend to offer different loan amounts / APR if you buy used VS new?

Yeah I’m in finance and it sucks haha. Rates a year ago were so much better.

Finance isn't my forte but somehow it feels wrong not giving the banks (and government) my hard earned cash :rolleyes::) Murica.

That depends entirely on the loan terms.

Software. That's the only 0-60 difference between the AWD and the P.

(a few buyers showed up to collect their P and found an AWD car instead, the dealer flashed it to P on the spot)

You pay the extra money and they will unlock some extra electrons.

I get the hardware upgrades (brakes, suspension, wheels / tires), but i'm really questioning the motor performance. It's hardly better then the RWD (on paper).

Do it. Swapped my ZL1 for a P3D. Kept the blue though. (Tesla blue isn't as dark in the sun)

Similar quoted 0-60 times but good luck getting the power to the ground with the Camaro. The pull from the P3D smokes the ZL1 at sub-hwy speeds, but lacks the same pull above 70mph as noted elsewhere.

Camaro definitely has more presence and the sound was incredible, but feels ancient next to the Tesla.

View attachment 390465 View attachment 390466

I would get the blue too, it looks great on the Model 3. Thanks for your input it's cool to see what all of the former Chevy Performance owners think. After test driving the Model 3, I tried to play around in the 1LE a little bit and it instantly felt like ancient technology. My fat rear tires tend to wheel hop too if i'm not careful, so taking off as intended is improbable. It feels sluggish in the low end. Even at higher speeds the transmission still feels clunky.

Also, beautiful ZL1! I saw a ZL1 1LE at Costco on Sunday.. just the sight of it made my heart drop. I've seen a few P100D's but they just don't have the same effect, even though they're twice as much.

84 months? You do not need to get the Tesla

You're right, I could just buy a used Honda Civic. But who here would willingly want to do that? ;)

That is on my mind though - 7 more years of payments. BUT, I could pay more on principle at any time when I start to achieve a higher income so there's that.