Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking About Selling Camaro SS 1LE For a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get the hardware upgrades (brakes, suspension, wheels / tires), but i'm really questioning the motor performance. It's hardly better then the RWD (on paper).

Not sure what you're comparing here?

The RWD 3 is significantly less powerful, on paper or in real life... (trap speeds in the 1/4 mile are ~10-12 mph lower for RWD compared to AWD and P (which themselves are only 1-2 mph apart).

Don't get me wrong, the RWD is still quicker to 60 than most cars on the road, but it's a definite step down from the dual motor 3s[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you're comparing here?

The RWD 3 is significantly less powerful, on paper or in real life... (trap speeds in the 1/4 mile are ~10-12 mph lower for RWD compared to AWD and P (which themselves are only 1-2 mph apart).

Don't get me wrong, the RWD is still quicker to 60 than most cars on the road, but it's a definite step down from the dual motor 3s

Sorry I should've clarified. According to Tesla.com, the RWD LR does 0 - 60 in 5.0s. The AWD LR does it in 4.5. The performance version is 3.2. That's a pretty big jump, I'd think the AWD LR could at least do 4.0 or 3.8 to make it fair.

Than again, the price increase is 4k from LR RWD to LR AWD, and 11k from LR AWD to Performance.

Still though, Performance gets hardware upgrades too which would make it worthwhile anyway.

That is on my mind though - 7 more years of payments

I'm hard set that if you cannot pay off a car purchase in 3 to 4 years I'm a firm believer that you're looking way out of your league. Depreciation interest and at month 72..say you did make extra payments.. you'll owe 10k more than what the car is even worth. Hey your money but sounds like financial suicide to me especially on a vehicle that relies soley on technology and that changes overnight

I wouldn't even look at an S or X because the hardware was old. I'd be hard pressed to believe 3 year old model 3 will be worth anything. My guess is my AWD version will net 30k from the 70k I paid in 3 years when I'm ready to dump it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Chancellor32
I'm hard set that if you cannot pay off a car purchase in 3 to 4 years I'm a firm believer that you're looking way out of your league. Depreciation interest and at month 72..say you did make extra payments.. you'll owe 10k more than what the car is even worth. Hey your money but sounds like financial suicide to me especially on a vehicle that relies soley on technology and that changes overnight

I wouldn't even look at an S or X because the hardware was old. I'd be hard pressed to believe 3 year old model 3 will be worth anything. My guess is my AWD version will net 30k from the 70k I paid in 3 years when I'm ready to dump it.

Definitely, and I do agree with you. Honestly I haven't reached my 30's yet (nor am I married) so I've yet to financially mature, and I still have the mindset that I could die next year but never got to have my Tesla. LOL. Idk about the technology part, i'll let some other members comment on that.

I was told that any extra payments I make go toward principal, so it would be nice to have that 84 month option if god forbid I don't make more money in the next 7 years and can't pay off my car early. I did what I could with the Camaro and my monthly payments did go down after a few months of extra $$$.

Definitely, and I do agree with you. Honestly I haven't reached my 30's yet (nor am I married) so I've yet to financially mature, and I still have the mindset that I could die next year but never got to have my Tesla. LOL. Idk about the technology part, i'll let some other members comment on that.

I was told that any extra payments I make go toward principal, so it would be nice to have that 84 month option if god forbid I don't make more money in the next 7 years and can't pay off my car early. I did what I could with the Camaro and my monthly payments did go down after a few months of extra $$$.
First things first, dont let anyone tell you what you should or shouldnt do financially. If you want 84 go for it, if you want 48 months great! We can all preach financial soundness but at the end of the day its not smart financially to buy a 40-150k car! Anyone who says otherwise is just lying to themself. We buy a tesla because its freaking amazing, because of the tech, because of the safety, performance or straight up just the future of drivng. Im 26 and have had two Tesla's and people have asked how I justify it financially and my response is I can afford it and I want it thats it. Yeah gas savings are great, cheap registration but at the end of the day it was between keeping my prius or paying a heck of a lot more for a Tesla. Telsa won hands down :)

Sorry I should've clarified. According to Tesla.com, the RWD LR does 0 - 60 in 5.0s. The AWD LR does it in 4.5. The performance version is 3.2. That's a pretty big jump, I'd think the AWD LR could at least do 4.0 or 3.8 to make it fair.

Than again, the price increase is 4k from LR RWD to LR AWD, and 11k from LR AWD to Performance.

Still though, Performance gets hardware upgrades too which would make it worthwhile anyway.

So unfortunately Tesla is not entirely honest in their 0-60 times...because the include 1 foot rollout on P models, but not the rest.

(everyone else includes it on all their cars- like the car mags do as well).

So real world the non-Ps are a couple tenths faster than listed, while the Ps are exactly as listed.

hence why there's lots of folks who've put down 4.2-4.3 via draggy/vbox with 1 foot rollout

(to make it worse, and presumably to further encourage more spending on the P, when they recently announced the free 5% power bump via updates for all models, they dropped the 0-60 by 0.1 for RWD and P... but not AWD...on the website)

So anyway- real life, the AWD is about 0.5 quicker to 60 than RWD... and the P is about 1 second quicker to 60 than the AWD.

Also worth noting the vast majority of the software power limit on the AWD (vs P) is in that 0-60 range- The place where the difference shows that more clearly is the 1/4 mile- where besides the trap speeds being close (and the RWD far behind), with all 3 cars over 100 mph you find the time difference of the AWD and P remains about the same as it was at 60mph....while the RWD has fallen much further behind than it was at 60.

First things first, dont let anyone tell you what you should or shouldnt do financially. If you want 84 go for it, if you want 48 months great! We can all preach financial soundness but at the end of the day its not smart financially to buy a 40-150k car! Anyone who says otherwise is just lying to themself. We buy a tesla because its freaking amazing, because of the tech, because of the safety, performance or straight up just the future of drivng. Im 26 and have had two Tesla's and people have asked how I justify it financially and my response is I can afford it and I want it thats it. Yeah gas savings are great, cheap registration but at the end of the day it was between keeping my prius or paying a heck of a lot more for a Tesla. Telsa won hands down :)

Preach! :) I'm having a difficult time sleeping at night wondering what my life would be like with a Tesla. Usually that's a pretty good sign that i'm making the right decision. You only live once!

Also that's amazing you have a Model S and a Model 3!

Reactions: Nocturnal
So unfortunately Tesla is not entirely honest in their 0-60 times...because the include 1 foot rollout on P models, but not the rest.

(everyone else includes it on all their cars- like the car mags do as well).

So real world the non-Ps are a couple tenths faster than listed, while the Ps are exactly as listed.

hence why there's lots of folks who've put down 4.2-4.3 via draggy/vbox with 1 foot rollout

(to make it worse, and presumably to further encourage more spending on the P, when they recently announced the free 5% power bump via updates for all models, they dropped the 0-60 by 0.1 for RWD and P... but not AWD...on the website)

So anyway- real life, the AWD is about 0.5 quicker to 60 than RWD... and the P is about 1 second quicker to 60 than the AWD.

Also worth noting the vast majority of the software power limit on the AWD (vs P) is in that 0-60 range- The place where the difference shows that more clearly is the 1/4 mile- where besides the trap speeds being close (and the RWD far behind), with all 3 cars over 100 mph you find the time difference of the AWD and P remains about the same as it was at 60mph....while the RWD has fallen much further behind than it was at 60.

Good to know. This rubs me the wrong way, it sounds like the AWD isn't getting any love when it's perfectly capable of performing much better from the factory.

Lower 4 second 0-60 times really isn't anything to complain about, i'm just intrigued at Tesla's decision(s).

Very interesting they perform similarly in the higher speeds.

Good to know. This rubs me the wrong way, it sounds like the AWD isn't getting any love when it's perfectly capable of performing much better from the factory.

Lower 4 second 0-60 times really isn't anything to complain about, i'm just intrigued at Tesla's decision(s).

Very interesting they perform similarly in the higher speeds.
The AWD is software limited from the P. It's not materially different than giving one model a different tune in an ICE/forced induction vehicle than another. It is just about making money. They could give all AWD cars the same power, but then nobody would buy a P. (plus more power equals more warranty claims) Just like BMW could tune a 3 series to have power closer to an M3.

One more note that most don't think about. A tesla has near instant heat and instant AC. That will be nice in the AZ heat. (plus the easy pre-cooling)

Reactions: destructure00
The AWD is software limited from the P. It's not materially different than giving one model a different tune in an ICE/forced induction vehicle than another. It is just about making money. They could give all AWD cars the same power, but then nobody would buy a P. (plus more power equals more warranty claims) Just like BMW could tune a 3 series to have power closer to an M3.

One more note that most don't think about. A tesla has near instant heat and instant AC. That will be nice in the AZ heat. (plus the easy pre-cooling)

I don't follow BMW, but I assume they have different parts in the engine if the HP / TQ rating is different for a certain model? With Camaro you get what you pay for, hardware considered. They don't tune back a certain model without changing parts. See: LS1 vs LS3, LT1 vs LT4, etc. With the Tesla no extra parts are needed for the AWD to be as fast as the M3P.

That was one of the cool features I saw it had. I'd definitely turn on the AC when in line at Costco :D

I don't follow BMW, but I assume they have different parts in the engine if the HP / TQ rating is different for a certain model? With Camaro you get what you pay for, hardware considered. They don't tune back a certain model without changing parts. See: LS1 vs LS3, LT1 vs LT4, etc. With the Tesla no extra parts are needed for the AWD to be as fast as the M3P.

That was one of the cool features I saw it had. I'd definitely turn on the AC when in line at Costco :D
It depends and I'd say it's often a mixture.

Take the 4th gen Fbody compared to C5 vettes. Same LS1 engine, same internals, different air intake etc. to make sure the Vette was faster. Either way, it is what it is. We buy software, music, movies all the time that are just as "artificial". Amazon could let me own every movie on their website and it would cost them nothing. Phones are another example. A 64BG IPhone costs 200 more than the 32GB version and I suspect it's the same actual drive.

Reactions: SDRick

Meanwhile I stretch the loan payments out as far as possible at 3 percent and the money I save over your monthly payments gets invested at 20 percent.

Reactions: Chancellor32

Your monthly payments will not change if you make additional principal only payments. It's also important to tell the bank to apply extra payments to the principal.

I just turned 30 myself. Not married no kids and bought a house and model 3 last year. I was on life support 4 years ago so I understand live like it's your last day, but just in case it's not, be careful lol.

I'm all for doing things you want to do so don't take it wrong. I'm just trying to pass on some things I've learned these last 5 years or so as I geared up to be financially ready for a family, house etc. I have 5 cars because I never bought them new, leverage depreciation on someone else's dime. Just some advice from an "old fogey" lol. Do whatever makes you happy and is reasonable. Good luck!

I'd gladly donate to a go fund me for anyone who chose to buy a prius.

Good financial advice is what it is, and often not what people want to hear. You can listen or not. End of the day I'm not paying his bills or yours so do whatever works for you
lol dont hate it till you try it. Its no Tesla but probably the 2nd best commuter car. Trust me I hated a prius till my commute became 100 miles and I only ever had to do oil changes and tire rotations for 50k miles plus was getting 48mpg.