Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about taking the plunge.....what do I need to know?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the beginning stages of doing research. I think I like the S over the 3, and don’t have the money for an X.

What should I be looking at? I’ve read some posts about Tesla lowering prices, but when does that happen?

Should I buy through Tesla or from another dealer?

I don’t know a budget yet, but I know it won’t be over $50k. I’m also about a year out from buying one, but I am an engineer and analyst by trade, so I like to do a lot of research.

And one last thing, and this is my worry, what if Tesla goes bankrupt? What will happen to the software support etc? I’d hate for them to be the next Delorean.

Thanks in advance.

Things would look for or stay away from

-look for AP2.x car as there is at least an upgrade path to FSD
-try and stay away from 90batts as they had some degradation issues
-~ 2013-2016 cars have free supercharging that carries forward with car
-refresh nose cone (~2016)
-more of a preference but larger battery always better (my opinion) :eek:

Good luck in search and u should have some good options in that price point a year out as cars come off lease

Last edited:
Things would look for or stay away from

-look for AP2.x car as there is at least an upgrade path to FSD
-try and stay away from 90batts as they had some degradation issues
-2014-2016 cars have free supercharging that carries forward with car
-refresh nose cone (~2016)
-more of a preference but larger battery always better (my opinion) :eek:

Good luck in search and u should have some good options in that price point a year out as cars come off lease

Thanks, those are good tidbits of knowledge to think about. Like every car, there are good and bad years etc. just trying to figure it out.

Regarding software support if Tesla goes under, guys like this should give you hope (See video below). One thing I've learned is that no matter how "advanced" a car seems, within about 5 years there are people who have figured out how to hack/replace/repair/upgrade pretty much everything (the guy who runs the channel figured out to rebuild a salvage Tesla in his garage). Given that much of Tesla's fanbase are techies, I expect even more ingenuity when it comes to keeping these things running without the company. Also, atleast when it comes to infotainment, Tesla's software kinda sucks even when compared to other automakers. Given that Tesla's MCU runs on linux, I'm looking forward to the day when someone creates a better open source version. It's also very plausible that an established automaker or tech company would buy Tesla's brand and assets should they declare bankruptcy.

OP I am like you and analyzed everything and of course the issues I was concerned with did not come to pass. I like p85 list and would keep reading this forum and you will get a sense over time.
To answer who to buy from = Tesla. Seems there are a fair number of salvage title cars out there and Tesla will not fix them so do t be lured into a deal.
I own MS and prefer looks to M3 but you should drive both. They are very different feel and if I had a budget of 50k, I would get a new 3 awd with the latest technology and a full warranty.

Reactions: P85_DA
Regarding software support if Tesla goes under, guys like this should give you hope (See video below). One thing I've learned is that no matter how "advanced" a car seems, within about 5 years there are people who have figured out how to hack/replace/repair/upgrade pretty much everything (the guy who runs the channel figured out to rebuild a salvage Tesla in his garage). Given that much of Tesla's fanbase are techies, I expect even more ingenuity when it comes to keeping these things running without the company. Also, atleast when it comes to infotainment, Tesla's software kinda sucks even when compared to other automakers. Given that Tesla's MCU runs on linux, I'm looking forward to the day when someone creates a better open source version. It's also very plausible that an established automaker or tech company would buy Tesla's brand and assets should they declare bankruptcy.

I love rich! I have been watching his show from the beginning. He is actually the one that has gotten me interested in Tesla. And the more I read, the more I like what I am hearing.

100 battery can take advantage of V2 and V3 superchargers up to 150kw ..I have already send that ..there was an uppost that said couldn’t exceed 120 which is not correct ..maybe for smaller batteries but not the case with 100 battery

Reactions: RevFisch
Just joined this group, and was about to start a new thread, when I came across this one. I'm in the same situation, as I've been thinking about a Model S for years, and think I'll finally buy a used one this year. Recently test drove a new one at a showroom, and it's everything I imagined, and more. I've been a fan of the Model S since it earned a 103 out of 100 (not a typo) in a Consumer Reports review. My budget is also around $50K, but it seems hard to find a used MS at that price point that has Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), which I really want so as to future-proof.

Some questions I'd love answers to help in my decision on a vehicle:

1) Can a pre-EAP model be upgraded to EAP? If so, what's the cost? Is EAP really worth holding out for?

2) I've read that currently EAP is the same as Full Self-Driving (FSD), but that will eventually change with software upgrades. Is that true? Or are there hardware differences, and can I upgrade to FSD when it's available?

3) I was told by the Tesla sales person the upgrade from the NVidia to Intel chip in the computer made for a much smoother experience onscreen. Anyone have experience with the differences? Should I hold out for the Intel chip? How can I tell from the Tesla used car listing which chip the vehicle has?

4) Trying to decide if I want the full glass roof or solid body. I love sunroofs, but also like the ability to pull a shade closed to avoid the sunlight. Is the MS tinting strong enough to avoid glare in the car with strong sunlight?

5) I live in a state in the US (CT) that does not allow Tesla to sell, a real pain. Does anyone living in CT have experience purchasing a used Tesla, and did you have any issues with the purchase, delivery, registration of the vehicle, or anything else?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Just joined this group, and was about to start a new thread, when I came across this one. I'm in the same situation, as I've been thinking about a Model S for years, and think I'll finally buy a used one this year. Recently test drove a new one at a showroom, and it's everything I imagined, and more. I've been a fan of the Model S since it earned a 103 out of 100 (not a typo) in a Consumer Reports review. My budget is also around $50K, but it seems hard to find a used MS at that price point that has Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), which I really want so as to future-proof.

Some questions I'd love answers to help in my decision on a vehicle:

1) Can a pre-EAP model be upgraded to EAP? If so, what's the cost? Is EAP really worth holding out for?

2) I've read that currently EAP is the same as Full Self-Driving (FSD), but that will eventually change with software upgrades. Is that true? Or are there hardware differences, and can I upgrade to FSD when it's available?

3) I was told by the Tesla sales person the upgrade from the NVidia to Intel chip in the computer made for a much smoother experience onscreen. Anyone have experience with the differences? Should I hold out for the Intel chip? How can I tell from the Tesla used car listing which chip the vehicle has?

4) Trying to decide if I want the full glass roof or solid body. I love sunroofs, but also like the ability to pull a shade closed to avoid the sunlight. Is the MS tinting strong enough to avoid glare in the car with strong sunlight?

5) I live in a state in the US (CT) that does not allow Tesla to sell, a real pain. Does anyone living in CT have experience purchasing a used Tesla, and did you have any issues with the purchase, delivery, registration of the vehicle, or anything else?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

1) if u mean can a non AP car get hardware upgraded ..no

2) only path to FSD is an AP2.x car which is upgradeable to AP3 where FSD is supposed to happen ..there is no path from AP1 to FSD

3) MCU2 is definitely faster the latest v9 software has slowed MCU1 tremendously

4) both r nice u can’t go wrong either way

Thanks P85_DA.

1) if u mean can a non AP car get hardware upgraded ..no

2) only path to FSD is an AP2.x car which is upgradeable to AP3 where FSD is supposed to happen ..there is no path from AP1 to FSD

3) MCU2 is definitely faster the latest v9 software has slowed MCU1 tremendously

4) both r nice u can’t go wrong either way

Regarding #1 above, I'm wondering if an Autopilot (AP1.x) car can be upgraded to Enhanced Autopilot (AP2.x), then eventually to FSD.

Good to know, sounds like I definitely want MCU2. But now the questions is, now to tell from the Tesla used online listing if it has MCU2? Any thoughts?

Reactions: P85_DA
Thanks P85_DA.

Regarding #1 above, I'm wondering if an Autopilot (AP1.x) car can be upgraded to Enhanced Autopilot (AP2.x), then eventually to FSD.

Good to know, sounds like I definitely want MCU2. But now the questions is, now to tell from the Tesla used online listing if it has MCU2? Any thoughts?

Tesla changed the names around a bit

AP1 can never go to what is now being called FSD

Only path is AP2.x—> AP3 (fsd)

I forgot feature name for the original AP1 but I drove one for 60k miles and AP1 is not that bad ..does summon , auto park , changes lanes via signal etc ...

If u really want FSD get a AP2.x car preferably AP2.5 than pay extra 5k for future FSD that will guarantee u hardware upgrade to AP3

Honestly current AP1 and 2.x are good combined I have driven close to 100k miles :..I decided not to pay for fsd upgrade

Reactions: RevFisch