Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of 245/45/r18 on 18" Aero Wheels with 5mm Spacers from Adaptec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I am one month in with my Model 3 and I love it but I am looking at ways to subtly fill up the tire to fender gap without lowering because the Model 3 I feel sits low enough.

I am thinking of going up one tire size 245/45/r18 which I know is only going to give me about .3" additional height, and add a little more width vs. the stock tires.

I was also looking at adding in 5mm Adaptec spacers (I have used short 5mm spacers in a couple of my other performance cars in the past mainly for looks.

I want to keep the aero wheels with the covers on.

In searching and reading here and on other sites/forums/posts there are numerous discussions around the different tire sizes for the 18" configuration being discussed, but almost nothing around 5mm spacers being used (stock height not lowered).

When I was researching lowering the Model 3 I was thinking of 7mm-10mm spacers, but since I am staying stock height but looking at a slightly larger tire I am thinking 5mm.

Any thoughts or if anyone has done this, any pics?

I appreciate the feedback.

AT

Wennfred do you have the youtube describing and showing your spacer install on your red M3? I watched it a few times.

I am looking at more subtle 5mm spacers where it will show a little but not as aggressive.

The Pilot Sport 4s is one of the tires I am looking at.

Question, are the tires minus the sound foam that much louder?

You can easily run 15 front and 20 or even 25 in the rear, 5mm is not nearly enough imo, I’m not sure it would even be noticeable. Additionally on a non-performance brake car a 5mm spacer is going to be right at or possibly under the limit of safe thread engagement without going to longer studs. You’re better off with an adapter-type 15mm+ spacer.

The 5mm spacers will be barely noticeable. And it would be dangerous to do 10mm since you are reducing the useable threads in the lugnuts. I would suggest either 15mm blox sport 7075-T6 (the stronger version) or looking into 265/40/18 advan/conti tires. These tires will have the same overall diameter (thus will not affect stability control/speedometer calculations) while filling out 10mm on either side of the wheel well. You can see the tire specs on tirerack, i think Advans would look better than Conti's due to slightly different dimensions.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I was looking at the Blox Sport spacers after seeing the video again.

So stock height with 15mm spacers front and rear with 245/45/18 ok?

Is 20mm needed in the rear to kick it out more or just for staggered look?