Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of a new SR+ Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m thinking of ordering a new SR+ since it’ll be months till it arrives it seems and my current one is two years old. Can anyone let me know the main differences? Has the heat issue been sorted out? Is the range actually 400kms or is it like mine where when I bought it it was supposed to be 386 but day of delivery it was 375 and has been dropping ever since. Currently at 335km at 100%. Is the battery any bigger these days to allow for increased range or was it just some magic trick done by the EPA that allowed them to say the range was more?

I'm curious that why you're charging up to 100% all the time - not recommended unless you're heading out immediately for a long trip. However, the computer probably needs to relearn your range. The easiest way would be drain to almost 0 and then charge to 80 percent a few times.

The heat pump does help quite a lot but then I live in BC and haven't had any cold weather since I bought it

I’m thinking of ordering a new SR+ since it’ll be months till it arrives it seems and my current one is two years old. Can anyone let me know the main differences? Has the heat issue been sorted out? Is the range actually 400kms or is it like mine where when I bought it it was supposed to be 386 but day of delivery it was 375 and has been dropping ever since. Currently at 335km at 100%. Is the battery any bigger these days to allow for increased range or was it just some magic trick done by the EPA that allowed them to say the range was more?
I don't think the battery is any bigger with SR+ for the past few years.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3 and Vawlkus
I'm curious that why you're charging up to 100% all the time - not recommended unless you're heading out immediately for a long trip. However, the computer probably needs to relearn your range. The easiest way would be drain to almost 0 and then charge to 80 percent a few times.

The heat pump does help quite a lot but then I live in BC and haven't had any cold weather since I bought it
I don’t charge to 100% often at all. You can see your calculated range at 100% in the Tesla app and stats. I’ve done all the rebalancing that they recommend. Several times. For a year. Just keeps dropping.

Is the range actually 400kms or is it like mine where when I bought it it was supposed to be 386 but day of delivery it was 375 and has been dropping ever since. Currently at 335km at 100%.
Are you saying that you charged to 100% on the day you took delivery and it showed 375km of range?

If so you have experienced a 10.6% indicated range loss in two years. My understanding, and based on my experiences after owning three Teslas, is that about a 5% loss is typical in the first two years. After that annual capacity loss is around 1%. And that won’t continue indefinitely.

How many km on your odometer?

Yes. Day of I delivery I charged to 100% when I got it home. 375kms. Never ever showed in the 380s. I have about 65k on it now. 334 this morning at max. Tesla doesn’t count the rated range as proof things aren’t as advertised. They claim my battery is fine although they’ll never tell me the available capacity.

Are you saying that you charged to 100% on the day you took delivery and it showed 375km of range?

If so you have experienced a 10.6% indicated range loss in two years. My understanding, and based on my experiences after owning three Teslas, is that about a 5% loss is typical in the first two years. After that annual capacity loss is around 1%. And that won’t continue indefinitely.

How many km on your odometer?
Just my 2 cents but according to what I read, the 5% thing seems to be more of a X or S schedule.

The 3 seems to degrade faster.
I have a 3 and so far I have a 5% degradation per year for the past 2 years and a half and it is not slowing down so far.

Yes. Day of I delivery I charged to 100% when I got it home. 375kms. Never ever showed in the 380s. I have about 65k on it now. 334 this morning at max. Tesla doesn’t count the rated range as proof things aren’t as advertised. They claim my battery is fine although they’ll never tell me the available capacity.
Tesla has never guaranteed a specific rated range, they simply advertise the EPA figures. I think that is reasonable. Tesla has also never officially stated exact battery capacities. They used to label the S/X models with numbers that were approximate battery sizes, but not exact. They no longer do that for any model.

So over 2 years and 65km you have lost about 10% of your original range. I think that is slightly on the high side of average but not unheard of.

You want to know if the 2021 Model 3 batteries are going to behave any differently. There is no way to answer that question because there is no data available. Tesla has not announced any changes in the battery pack of Model 3’s produced in Fremont (cars produced in China use a different battery chemistry). But the company has a history of continually improving and modifying their cars and not making formal announcements about the changes.

In my opinion, there is no way to answer your questions. One can only speculate.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Tesla has never guaranteed a specific rated range, they simply advertise the EPA figures. I think that is reasonable. Tesla has also never officially stated exact battery capacities. They used to label the S/X models with numbers that were approximate battery sizes, but not exact. They no longer do that for any model.

So over 2 years and 65km you have lost about 10% of your original range. I think that is slightly on the high side of average but not unheard of.

You want to know if the 2021 Model 3 batteries are going to behave any differently. There is no way to answer that question because there is no data available. Tesla has not announced any changes in the battery pack of Model 3’s produced in Fremont (cars produced in China use a different battery chemistry). But the company has a history of continually improving and modifying their cars and not making formal announcements about the changes.

In my opinion, there is no way to answer your questions. One can only speculate.
Right. So how on Earth can a consumer take advantage of the 70% warranty if Tesla doesn’t share your battery health and rejects the only available information?

Right. So how on Earth can a consumer take advantage of the 70% warranty if Tesla doesn’t share your battery health and rejects the only available information?
I agree it is a frustrating situation. I’m not defending Tesla on this. But if your max indicated range were to decline to around 70% of the EPA rating I think you would have a strong case for a warranty repair. How you would persuade Tesla of that I can’t say.

Expect Tesla says rated range doesn’t mean anything.
I don’t agree. I think that if rated range fell to below 70% of the EPA range the owner would be able to convince Tesla that the battery needed to be replaced under warranty.

That said, there have been so few cases of that level of degradation while under warranty that we don’t have a lot of data on what Tesla would do.

Here is a old story about Tesloop in California, a Tesla shuttle service between LA and Vegas that put a lot of miles on their cars in a short period of time and while constantly Supercharging them to max. Tesloop Shares Lessons Learned In 400,000 Miles In A Tesla

Quote: “Along the way to 400,000 miles, the Model S has also had its high-voltage battery replaced twice under warranty, at 194,000 miles (312,212 km) and 324,000 miles (521,427 km). On the first battery, Tesloop experienced 6% battery degradation... it experienced 22% degradation on the second battery. The first battery was replaced after Tesloop noticed that the range estimator was behaving erratically and then took the vehicle in for service…One of Tesloop’s other Model X vehicles has achieved an impressive 300,000 miles, all with the original battery, in just 1.75 years. That vehicle has seen only 10% battery degradation over that period.”

Of course those were early cars and rather different from what Tesla is producing today, and those batteries did not lose 30% or more of their capacity.