Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of Buying M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all of the tax credits/incentives I'm looking into a M3 standard range base. I had a model s a few years ago so I am familiar with the overall idea of Tesla. This will replace my wife's Ford Explorer (she no longer needs a SUV). However, her lease is not up until the end of Oct. I dont want to make a hasty decision and pull the trigger on a M3 8 months early just to ensure i get the tax incentives. Buying now would leave me with 2 car payments for 8 months (roughly 4k for the explorer). How do you all think the IRS decision on the tax incentive will go in March? Should I pull the trigger or wait it out and take a chance?

...8 months early...
That's a long time to pay for 2 cars.
...How do you all think the IRS decision on the tax incentive will go in March?...
No idea. They themselves didn't know when the deadline came last year so they have to extend to March, so how can anyone else know?
...Should I pull the trigger or wait it out and take a chance?...
Buy now to save $7,500 but does that cover the payments for 2 cars for 8 months?

Today's news of the coming of HW4 with Phoenix radar. Would you want to miss that? Right now you don't have sonars and you don't have radar either.

That's a long time to pay for 2 cars.

No idea. They themselves didn't know when the deadline came last year so they have to extend to March, so how can anyone else know?

Buy now to save $7,500 but does that cover the payments for 2 cars for 8 months?

Today's news of the coming of HW4 with Phoenix radar. Would you want to miss that? Right now you don't have sonars and you don't have radar either.
The cost for the explorer would be about 4K. Model 3 about 4500. Really just thinking out loud. I think the best thing is wait.

The Model Y MAY remain in the pool of available vehicles after March but prob not since the battery needs to be sourced from US raw materials -

Last time I checked $7500 > $4000 so it may end up costing you less -also - the value of the Exploder may be greater than the buy out at the end of the lease so maybe you should check and see if it makes sense to buy it and them sell it - check the value of the vehicle, the remaining payments - the buy out - its pretty simple math.

We purchased at the "WRONG TIME" when we got ours in August of 2022 just on pricing. HOWEVER, we wouldn't change a thing. WE love the car and have no regrets on our 2022 M3LR. Do I feel like we "could have done better"? Most definitely! BUT we simply love our car and don't look back at things that "could have been had we waited".

I hope that helps or makes sense.

I wouldn't rush and buy it to 'save' $7500 but end up paying double car payments where it may be a wash anyway if you just waited.

But, and of course, I have zero proof to back up my opinion, I just feel like post-March, adjustments will be made so people can still get $7500 on most EV's because otherwise, the whole incentives put in place will backfire when very few people purchase due to the loss of the full $7500 credit. Only time will tell, but I'm waiting it out to see and willing to see how it all shakes out.

I wouldn't rush and buy it to 'save' $7500 but end up paying double car payments where it may be a wash anyway if you just waited.

But, and of course, I have zero proof to back up my opinion, I just feel like post-March, adjustments will be made so people can still get $7500 on most EV's because otherwise, the whole incentives put in place will backfire when very few people purchase due to the loss of the full $7500 credit. Only time will tell, but I'm waiting it out to see and willing to see how it all shakes out.
The legal underpinning of the rebate requires US sourced products - the IRS is investigating the issue but it cant change the law, so I don't expect there to be Tesla's covered under the rebate once the regulations come out. . .