Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 leaked by @greentheonly - new cameras coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading this, is everyone now ready to admit that none of the cars currently on the road are going to be capable of FSD?

Tesla themselves (well, Elon) told us a while ago none of the cars currently on the road are getting HW4 upgrades.

He claims that won't preclude them from being capable of FSD though- so grain of salt and all but the lack of retrofit capability is NOT new info.

Ugh, if there is no retrofit path then this is going to quickly spiral into a giant lawsuit mess on the contention that the additional sensors are proof prima facie that Tesla can't achieve FSD with the existing sensor suite. I was really hoping that they were going to have an upgrade path that would result in the HW3 people with FSD not being completely defrauded. :(

Continuing to sell FSD with the pre-existing promises while this is right around the corner is quickly looking like absurdly disgusting behavior!

I expect we will get to test if the March 2019 change of FSD product description during sale (after which nobody was ever promised more than L2 during the sale) will hold up in court.

On the bright side for Tesla- if it does, the # of pre-3/19 buyers they owe refunds to is:
Quite small
and
The refund would only be about 3k plus interest since that's all FSD cost back then

Ugh, if there is no retrofit path then this is going to quickly spiral into a giant lawsuit mess on the contention that the additional sensors are proof prima facie that Tesla can't achieve FSD with the existing sensor suite. I was really hoping that they were going to have an upgrade path that would result in the HW3 people with FSD not being completely defrauded. :(

Continuing to sell FSD with the pre-existing promises while this is right around the corner is quickly looking like absurdly disgusting behavior!
1676485054003.png

It was dependent on achieving and it wasn’t achieved.

He claims that won't preclude them from being capable of FSD though- so grain of salt and all but the lack of retrofit capability is NOT new info.
Yeah, we really need to get a definition of of what FSD will be for both HW3 and later, because I bet they won’t be the same. HW3 will probably “work”, but will have many limitations, like not working in poor weather, slow intersections (due to creeping), and whatever other limitations you can think of. And will that be acceptable?

Reactions: RTPEV
This would explain those Model 3 prototypes with the front and rear fully covered, even though they look like fairly normal 3s otherwise
Here's the list of 11 cameras with my guesses of what they are and ordered from front to rear:
  1. F-SVC (bumper front)
  2. L-FF-Side (front fender facing left side)
  3. R-FF-Side (front fender facing right side)
  4. L-FF-Rear (front fender facing rear left)
  5. R-FF-Rear (front fender facing rear right)
  6. Wide (fisheye)
  7. Main (front / high enough resolution to not need Far)
  8. Selfie (interior)
  9. L-SVC (bumper left / reverse cross traffic)
  10. R-SVC (bumper right / reverse cross traffic)
  11. Backup (reverse)

I wouldn't jump to conclusions and would encourage people not to as well.

Elon Musk said:
The cost and difficulty of retrofitting Hardware 3 with Hardware 4 is quite significant. So it would not be, I think, economically feasible to do so.

Not sure this requires any conclusion jumping. No retrofits for existing fleet.

Green alludes to additional redundancies as well, the type of redundancies you'd need to actually achieve something Level 3+ where you need backup everything in case one component fails -- none of that is necessary for Level 2 where the human is the backup.

Reminds me of news breaking a while ago about Tesla foregoing redundant steering control modules for vehicles coming out of Shanghai

Reactions: VanFriscia
View attachment 907526
It was dependent on achieving and it wasn’t achieved.
It was dependent on FSD (the software) achieving it. So if they achieve it with HW4, but not HW3, they'll prove HW4 is all that's needed with their latest FSD software, validating the claims of all class actions demanding retrofit or upgrades.

We were told the car could drive itself with the hardware we have so they better own up to it.
Yep.