Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of coming back to the fold - what have I missed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my question, what (if any) stand out developments have there been on the software/feature side since I last owned my 2020 SR+?

Nice new features in the last year or so, nothing monumental but incremental improvements

- auto seat heaters and auto wheel heater that just means you don't need to think about it
- climate now has an auto-defogging feature that further means you don't need to press climate buttons when driving
- Left scroll wheel can now by customised to dozens of different features or a shortcut menu to access any of them
- Answer/hangup a call with a press of a button
- Navigation will offer alternative routes if you think you know better than the computer
- Navigation layout is better, e.g. always see the battery at destination, see a picture of the destination
- Decent third party chargers show in the charger list
- Can live stream Sentry mode to mobile app with Premium Connectivity (and remotely make it fart at them)
- App integrates with Siri so you can say 'Open Tesla Boot'
- your settings are stored in the cloud so transfer to a different cars e.g. Loaners
- Apple Music app available if you have a subscription
- Instead of have a three blink option, indicators now automatically turn off once you've completed a move between lanes
- There are more games if you are into them, and they work now with Bluetooth game controllers

The SR+ is no more, now just called the RWD.
+heatpump
+Bigger batteries, now LFP
+ Heated steering wheel and all seats, not just front seats

- Parking sensors gone, teslavision camera based replacement not great and maybe EAP features no longer enabled
- Radar gone, not that it made much difference
- stalks gone so controls now via buttons or swiping the screen, form your own opinion

You missed the best cars in my opinion where the pluses were all there but the negatives hadn’t happened, they were early 2022 cars.

Software wise, I can’t really think of anything substantial, sat nav has had some development like way points, alternate routes and being able to see pictures of the destination, the app has changed a bit, better integration with Siri etc but 3rd party apps are having to change and the whole 3rd party area may require payment to Tesla .

Highland also brings more refinement in a number of ways but we’re yet to see any real world experience in the uk.

Yeah, if you're only going to keep the car a few years, I'd strongly recommend leasing vs. buying. Sure, you can't keep the car because Tesla won't allow it, but at least you don't have to eat all that depreciation - unless they've rejiggered the leasing rates to truly account for their horrendous drop in value over the lifetime of any lease.

BTW, our last car was a 2021 Model 3P, which still had USS and never had any trouble with automatic wiper settings. It was a great car! So, if you're looking at used, that would probably be an excellent model year for you to consider.