Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of coming back to the fold - what have I missed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 18 months or so in the wilderness (driving a Polestar 2 - OK car but a few too many unexpected niggles) thinking of returning to the Tesla fold with the new facelift model 3.

Went to see a left hand drive model at my local Tesla store yesterday, very impressed with the overall feel and apparent uplift in quality.

So my question, what (if any) stand out developments have there been on the software/feature side since I last owned my 2020 SR+?

From an initial play with the touchscreen on the showroom car looks and feels very similar to what I remember.

Also did wonder/hope that with the introduction of additional steering wheel controls on the facelift model there might be an opportunity to add things that frankly should have always been standard such as a manual speed limiter. Anyone heard this might be coming to new (or current cars).

Any thoughts on what to expect would be appreciated.

yes, but
Tesla introduced all those nice hardware upgrades found in the refresh S to the 3 (and hopefully the Y sometime soon). If the refresh 3 is anything like the changes to the S, it is a completely different car to live with (software aside).

The main things you might notice is the lower cabin noise when on a motorway, the automatic seat and steering wheel heaters. The self cancelling indicators when you change lane. You can now add stop overs on the navigation screen and it will display your arrival SoC.

However the wipers are still only 90% good and the auto headlights turn off now when it sees another car, but can take an age for them to turn back on...

You will miss USS, speed limiter and the indicator stalks.

To protect my early 20 year olds from the rocket Sport mode acceleration of the Ts, I set the PIN key protected speed limit
It’s a limit which when on puts the T in chill mode and won’t let the person drive over that set speed limit
The chime is as you get close to that speed
Reminds the person of the speed limit and also sends a warning message to everyone’s phone app that the vehicle have a key, a driver attempted to go above the speed limit
1699865092228.png

As a parent, the speed limit has been great

As only a 2023 T owner, my observation is these EVs are best in the industry
Battery and nav management
Infotainment
Daily driver experience
All perfect

Come back to Tesla
The highland refresh is amazing
The software is great and even better code to come, Grok

Attachments

• 1699865028336.png
    1699865028336.png
    156.2 KB · Views: 31
To protect my early 20 year olds from the rocket Sport mode acceleration of the Ts, I set the PIN key protected speed limit
It’s a limit which when on puts the T in chill mode and won’t let the person drive over that set speed limit
The chime is as you get close to that speed
Reminds the person of the speed limit and also sends a warning message to everyone’s phone app that the vehicle have a key, a driver attempted to go above the speed limit
View attachment 990313
As a parent, the speed limit has been great

As only a 2023 T owner, my observation is these EVs are best in the industry
Battery and nav management
Infotainment
Daily driver experience
All perfect

Come back to Tesla
The highland refresh is amazing
The software is great and even better code to come, Grok
Here in the UK We have another way to protect our 20 year olds from the that risk. Its called the insurance industry. Adding your 20 year old child to an MYP car insurance here would probably cost in the region of $10000 a year, which not many people would be willing to pay.

There are loads of improvements from the SR+

- heated steering wheel (this makes such a difference!)
- massive range improvement, not just the bigger battery but heat pump / double glazed windows etc dramatically reduce heating overhead.
- supercharger experience, much faster charging / better charge curve than SR+ and a huge increase in stations / stalls / non shared stalls with v3/4 than what you were used to
- much more info on what eats your range
- much reduced road noise
- better hifi, better Spotify, Apple Music
- navigation is much better, waypoints, multiple routes, excellent prediction of destination battery %, no guesswork if you can reach your destination
- traffic display on maps is much more readable / useful
- voice commands much more reliable
- more boot space in highland apparently
- depending how old your SR+ was then powered liftgate, wireless phone charging, nicer console, nicer wheel buttons
- more customisable controls via wheel buttons
- auto disable indicators (works great expect when leaving roundabouts)
- control fan speed when heating in auto
- better cameras
- faster processor
-hotspot your phone and stay connected when driving without premium connectivity
- app does a lot more, see satnav info, charge stats, more controls, view sentry cameras etc

That’s on top of all the more obvious highland stuff mentioned. Really will be a big leap from your old SR+, you’ll be impressed

Reactions: kpanda17
Auto wipers. Auto wipers are so so much worse. This really only matters because Tesla forces wipers to Auto whenever you use any of their drive assistance bits - Autopilot, NoA, FSD, etc. Get ready for dry wipes whenever you use those features, and for no wipers at all in the rain unless you specifically turn them on.

Auto wipers. Auto wipers are so so much worse. This really only matters because Tesla forces wipers to Auto whenever you use any of their drive assistance bits - Autopilot, NoA, FSD, etc. Get ready for dry wipes whenever you use those features, and for no wipers at all in the rain unless you specifically turn them on.
Sexy buttons can turn auto wipers off

Reactions: Dracaris
This is only true if you're not using the assisted driving bits (e.g. Autopilot, EAP / NoA, FSD). When any of those are active, the car forces wipers into Auto mode and ignores any requests to turn the wipers off. The only way to set wipers to off is to shut down any assisted driving bits.

At least, my claim is accurate on 2023.27.7 / 11.4.7.3. Maybe not true on other releases, who knows?

looks like Tesla is holding up well
Encouraging words...... and then .... I know.... I should not have..... but!
In a flagrant act of masochism, I requested a Tesla trade-in valuation! Not a pretty sight; " Move on! Nothing to see here! Well, almost bugger all"
Thoughtfully, the estimate clarified that " This includes your EAP value" (OWTTE).

Apparently, Tesla trade-in valuations have been outsourced to an auction house which could indicate their satisfaction with the current supply/demand metrics of this much coveted commodity.

For now this is all academic; I am very happy with my low mileage Y. Buying it was huge fun as is owning it.

Selling it won't be an issue for a while and therefore, I won't trouble myself with imponderables like .... if I knew then what I know now....🤔

P.S. RAC valuations were a little more favourable.....but.... am I bovered!😊

Last edited: