Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of just installing charger myself with 6/2 MC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So neighbor had an electrician out for a couple things and was going to have him install my ChargePoint HomeFlex but didn’t feel comfortable with him. One of the I know everything about everything guys that I’d say is fine for doing some outlets but not much else. I’m trying to find a local electrician but most of them either aren’t taking residental jobs or want a $150+ fee to come quote it. I’m thinking of just installing the damn thing myself. Based on the cost of buying 100’ of THHN and conduit cost and conduit time I was thinking of just using 6/2 MC cable. My panel is in the garage 35’ oppsite corner from where the charger will go with an accessible attic. Any reason not to use MC cable? Seems like a perfect use case, just not sure if I’m missing some important gotcha. It is rated for 90C @ 75A. Only unsure about strapping rules on MC cable in attic space and assuming I can get a cuff to mount to the charger.

Shipped from here it’s $330 which is what it would cost me to buy 2x 6awg and 1x8awg 100’ spools from Home Depot. 6/2 Copper MC Cable w/ Ground

If you feel capable and knowledgeable (like I do with these simple projects) DO by all means install it yourself, so you'll know it was done right. Many "local electricians" don't know any more about simple wiring than I do, although they do have a ton more of experience, making them handy for edge cases.

I bought my 6-3 w/ ground from Home Depot and wired my new garage for charging ten years ago. But I hired an electrician to install my 3 power walls and the inverter that hooks them into the grid. Some things are just more than I want to mess with.

Reactions: dogmodes
So neighbor had an electrician out for a couple things and was going to have him install my ChargePoint HomeFlex but didn’t feel comfortable with him. One of the I know everything about everything guys that I’d say is fine for doing some outlets but not much else. I’m trying to find a local electrician but most of them either aren’t taking residental jobs or want a $150+ fee to come quote it. I’m thinking of just installing the damn thing myself. Based on the cost of buying 100’ of THHN and conduit cost and conduit time I was thinking of just using 6/2 MC cable. My panel is in the garage 35’ oppsite corner from where the charger will go with an accessible attic. Any reason not to use MC cable? Seems like a perfect use case, just not sure if I’m missing some important gotcha. It is rated for 90C @ 75A. Only unsure about strapping rules on MC cable in attic space and assuming I can get a cuff to mount to the charger.

Shipped from here it’s $330 which is what it would cost me to buy 2x 6awg and 1x8awg 100’ spools from Home Depot. 6/2 Copper MC Cable w/ Ground

I installed my Gen3 Tesla Wall Connector using 6/2 MC cable. It worked great. With the 60 amp breaker, I'm getting the full 48 amp charge.
This is the cable I used: MC Cable
You'll also need some cable straps, like: this .

Not quite sure how you are getting from $147.50 to $330 with shipping and tax. On a side note, you don't need to get whole spools from HD. Wire and cable your way has stranded 6 for 1.06/ft, and 10 awg ground(which is all you need) for 0.34/ft. Doing the math for that, its $86.10 for 35 feet. Not sure its worth the extra effort to do the rigid metal conduit, though.

Here's another fun idea: 6-3C w/ Ground Teck 90 Cable, Aluminum Interlocked Armor, 1kV, since they cut it to the exact foot length, it comes out cheaper than the MC at 50'.

I'm not positive about the bend rules on MC or teck 90. Be absolutely sure you have enough to get connectivity inside each endpoint.

If you feel capable and knowledgeable (like I do with these simple projects) DO by all means install it yourself, so you'll know it was done right. Many "local electricians" don't know any more about simple wiring than I do, although they do have a ton more of experience, making them handy for edge cases.

I bought my 6-3 w/ ground from Home Depot and wired my new garage for charging ten years ago. But I hired an electrician to install my 3 power walls and the inverter that hooks them into the grid. Some things are just more than I want to mess with.
I’m about the same, I don’t mind doing simple stuff which this seems like. However I get a little spooked when we start talking about tourqe thresholds. That‘s why I figured I’d get a “professional” but so far it doesn’t seem worth it.
I installed my Gen3 Tesla Wall Connector using 6/2 MC cable. It worked great. With the 60 amp breaker, I'm getting the full 48 amp charge.
This is the cable I used: MC Cable
You'll also need some cable straps, like: this .
Thanks just wanted to double check there wasn’t some thing like omg you absolutely can’t use that. Seems like a pretty easy choice. I‘m a little unclear on the classification for a garage/attic and whether it’s considered wet or not.

Not quite sure how you are getting from $147.50 to $330 with shipping and tax. On a side note, you don't need to get whole spools from HD. Wire and cable your way has stranded 6 for 1.06/ft, and 10 awg ground(which is all you need) for 0.34/ft. Doing the math for that, its $86.10 for 35 feet. Not sure its worth the extra effort to do the rigid metal conduit, though.

Here's another fun idea: 6-3C w/ Ground Teck 90 Cable, Aluminum Interlocked Armor, 1kV, since they cut it to the exact foot length, it comes out cheaper than the MC at 50'.

I'm not positive about the bend rules on MC or teck 90. Be absolutely sure you have enough to get connectivity inside each endpoint.
Thanks, I was going by the 100’ shipped for $330. I was just giving rough numbers, 100’ spool of 6awg was about $100 at HD the other day I was there. I’m thinking I actually need about 60ish to route it and dress it in properly. But yeah I should check the price by the foot to see what it would cost. Might be cheaper to just do that and buy the MC tube or watertight flex. I’m not doing rigid in and case I think.