Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of selling my Vette for a Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is essential for a healthy Roadster is the cleaning of the air flow of the fans, the PEM and the motor.

Honestly the 1.5's are not effected by dirty PEMS / motors for the reason that they stay pretty darn clean and avoid picking up crap they shouldn't. The 2.x's are prevalent for clogging and overheating the PEM by vacuuming up leaves, dirt and other debris off the streets which causes the overheating issues, mostly PEM related.

Also TPMS issues tend to be 2.x related and not 1.5 related, Tesla changed from the bullet proof racing style TPMS that's in the 1.5 system to a lower quality one that constantly needs to be reset due to errors on the 2.x's. However the downside, the 1.5 does not have tire learning.

Lastly, my Roadster has been the most fun, reliable and head turning car I've ever owned. And remember, its a SuperCar! SuperCars typically cost $$$ to maintain and keep on the road alone, and takes a retirement fund to fix if something catastrophic happens mechanically. Some people have had bad luck with their Roadsters / repairs, however that cost does not come close to other supercars at all. I personally had excellent experience with Tesla service. They took care of me well and were always there for my Roadster and I. To conclude, the best part of owning an EV and ditching the gas vehicle is that there's no damn oil changes (other than the gearbox @ 60k intervals), no smelly fueling up at the crowded and unfriendly gas pumps. Just unplug and go, it doesn't get any better or simpler than that.

Last edited:
True. Air flow is better solved in the 1.5
Early 2.x got a "box" around the fans installed by SeC to reduce debris (cold weather package, northern package) and the two sep. fans were replaced by one radial fan system.
Later production had it from start

Disadvantage of the 1.5 is the connection of battery cells, they are bolted together and these bolts can get lose due to vibration leaving you with a dead sheet.
2.x have welded connections which withstand the vibrations better...

in Europe the TPMS was switched off so we don't have to deal with those issues.

And yes its a hell of a car.. won't miss it a second!

Disadvantage of the 1.5 is the connection of battery cells, they are bolted together and these bolts can get lose due to vibration leaving you with a dead sheet.
And there is another advantage of installing a 3.0 battery in a 1.5 Roadster.

My 3.0 battery will be installed next week. :)

To be clear, I've never had any problems with overheating except for on the track, and even on the track it didn't damage anything, it just caused the software to limit power (sometimes quite a lot). I've got an early 2.0, and I've never noticed a problem with debris in the fans (though I suppose Tesla may have cleaned it out during scheduled service and not told me).

Also, Tesla service has been wonderful to deal with. In the early days before the Model S, it was insanely good. I didn't usually bother with appointments, the techs were usually sitting around waiting for work, so they were happy to see me. They even did this: Warranty Maintainence, which got written up in some auto blogs (asking things like how Tesla will survive when they did stuff like that). Since the Model S came around they've gone from insane to merely really good. They are always polite, have service loaners for me, communicate well and do a good job with the car.

And despite all of the repairs, downtime and expenses, I'm really glad that I bought the car and I'm not even considering getting rid of it. I just want it back. :)

Not entirely true. Tesla didn't use bolts, they use rivets in the sheets. Same as with the 2.x.... The issue was that in the very early 1.5's the riveting wasn't the best in terms of quality and eventually a rivet would loosen up causing a the sheet in the ESS to not register or work properly. It doesn't kill the ESS/Sheet, the ESS does have to be dropped and the rivet replaced. The issue with the rivets was resolved later on and the Roadsters that potentially could have the issue were the very early 1.5 releases. Haven't heard that many issues with the rivet honestly.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Yes, bolts/rivets can easily be interchanged and mixed up in terms of word usage. I don't think the 2.x packs are welded, for the reason is that Tesla reuses these packs once a customer swaps them and welding would not allow easy rebuilding of the packs. It would be a total nightmare and drive costs up. Rivets work as long as you use a quality rivet, tool, and have a large enough head that has enough clamping force to overcome vibrations. From all the pics I've seen of ESS's I have not seen the sheet enclosures welded. Could be a possibility, but I don't believe so. MAUTO who's a good resource has taken his 2.x's apart and would be best to answer that one.

There's one documented rivet failure a couple years back, I went back to refresh what I remembered to highlight this one. I also heard of another, but didn't find the documentation.

Here's the link to the thread I found and was part of the discussion:
Cost for new battery sheet?

Don't want to digress the current thread too much. Take care.

Wow! So many great replies. A lot of information in here. I need pop in more often. This thread blew up! :D

I’ve been an F-body guy most of my life, and my last car was a 2011 Mustang, as I’ve needed those back seats for the kids until recently. My parents have owned six new Corvettes since 1992, when I was only 12 years old. So I’m familiar with how manufacturers like Chevy treat their owners.

I purchased my Roadster last August, partly based on how great I heard Tesla support was; I thought it would be nice to have a company that treats me better than your average GM dealer does. I work from home now so this car is more for having fun driving around town than as a daily commuter which I thought would help as well. I’m looking at around 3k miles per year of use; nothing heavy at all. Which also lets me baby it and avoid rain, snow, and salt. So far, I find myself longing for the days of dealing with Ford dealerships...

The first day I had it I noticed an error popping up in my OVMS app. When I called Tesla they said a cooling fan was shot and the car was running on reduced power, but I never received any warning about that from the car itself. If I didn't have OVMS I would have been driving around with that for who knows how long. It then took them two weeks to get my car in, and I had to drive 165 miles to drop the car off, though at least they flatbeded it to and from the SC from that point on. My Ford and Chevy dealers always had me in the same week, and they were just a few miles away.

When it was in I asked them to look at the stereo. I have the upgraded sound system but it sounds horrifying. It’s so screachy it hurts my ears even when turned down to volume 2-3, and I’ve had several others comment on it as well. I’ve never in my life owned a car with such a terrible (even painful) sounding system, so I figured something must be wrong. I played around with every setting imaginable to make it sound better until I could get it looked at but with little success.

I reported this and the SC said that they made some adjustments to fix it. When I got the car back I found that they just adjusted the bass and treble controls. This is something I could see a GM dealership doing, and then I would just stop going there and choose one of the hundreds of other dealerships/mechanics around here; not an option with this car.

After getting my car back I didn’t have much of a chance to enjoy it before putting it away for the winter. But I decided to upgrade my stereo while it was sitting in the garage and asked the SC for help. This is something I’ve done to just about every car I've ever owned, as have most people I know; stereo upgrades are extremely common. And in this case it was especially important given that the sound system was so bad I now actually drove around without my stereo on (that’s unthinkable if you know me...it made owning the car miserable).

I just went back and counted. I sent 67 emails and made countless phonecalls to two different people over a 3 month period, receiving almost no information, and being told they had to keep checking on it as if I were asking to add a second cockpit. In the end, despite being told in the beginning it was possible and I just needed to get some technical information from them, I was told if I made the slightest alteration it could void my warranty and likely cause damage to the electrical system, and could cause “as much as $20,000 in damage”.

They offered no other help in solving my problem other than suggesting I look online at what others have done. My research led me to some solutions that involved an external battery that needs separately charged, often in a sound system costing in the range of $6k – $10k. With everything I just spent on the car I could hardly afford $2k! In the end I did find a solution using an app on my cell phone with a 11-band equalizer and listen only to bluetooth music now, but it’s just barely passable in terms of quality. And I'm stuck with barely any bass response compared to what I'm used to.

I’ve had two separate speakers blown in the past, one in my Firehawk and one in a Mustang; both were replaced under warranty by the dealership within a week. I’ve added new speakers, subs, head units, amps, sound processors, etc to every car I’ve ever owned and the dealers were happy to answer any questions I had along the way within a day; not after chasing them for months. There is no comparison.

When I pulled the car out this spring I immediately received a “powertrain problem, service required” message each time I started driving. I contacted Tesla who put me in touch with a local tech who came to physically pull my logs requiring me to be available in the middle of the day (not a problem for me, but would be for most people). Again, I sent 72 emails between the two people I was working with, and my car wasn’t in until over 5 weeks after I reported the problem. This included one scheduled pickup, which I missed my daughter’s softball game to be home for, that never happened; I called the next day furious that the truck never showed and they blamed me, even though I have the email clearly verifying it.

The original tech said it would be fine to drive so I did during the first few weeks (but cautiously and unenthusiastically), and the second told me definitely don’t drive it making me worried about when I did. No one would ever tell me what the logs said or what the problem was. They supposedly fixed it, and the error is gone, but I still don’t know what the original cause was.

Starting about two weeks before that repair work I began asking about extending my warranty, which would expire three months later. I asked over 15 times in email and on the phone and the question was ignored or brushed off each time. I was eventually told I had to do it through My Tesla, but when I logged in I found no cars under my account. Several more emails and over a week later I was told this is because I didn’t buy it as a CPO. Finally, a few days ago, less than a month before my warranty is up, I was told that extensions are only available to original owners. From what I hear they are so expensive as to be useless anyway ($12k).

I've certainly had warranties expire through GM, but I've never had a problem finding extended warranty providers, even if I didn't usually use them. I’ve contacted seven different extended warranty providers so far. None cover Teslas. Next I’m going to check in with Progressive who insures the car and see if they offer any sort of extended protection, but I’m not hopeful. And, of course, though Corvette repairs aren't cheap, they aren't in the same ballpark as the numbers you've seen in other posts in this thread.

I understand where you’re coming from. I spent 8 years dreaming and saving, hoping to one day finally afford this car. I took that plunge partly because I always heard about how good Tesla support was to deal with. Now, after my experience owning it, I’m just left terrified of what’s going to happen after the warranty ends. Sure, it seems like my problem were mostly minor things, but the sheer volume of work and focus required to get anything done, and the thought of what happens if a major thing follows suite with the minor things, and the fact I’ve owned it for all of 4 driving months and 2k miles, makes me very nervous.

According to 2015 salary statistics I’m in the 96th percentile, but if something goes wrong and I’m stuck with a $7500 repair bill I’m going to be left with a very shiny paperweight. This has biased my experience of driving the car at all, and it no longer feels nearly as exciting as when I first decided to buy one. At this point I'm seriously considering trading to a Corvette; yes I'd hate to go back to burning fuel, but electric may just not be economically feasible for me at this point. And given the treatment I've received, I'm not sure how I feel about buying another Tesla car even when they do drop into my price range (Model III).

So a word of caution before trading in that Corvette; if you’re not a one-percenter you’re taking a very big risk, and may not find driving the car so much fun once you experience the fragility of your financial situation in owning one. On the other hand, if you are a one-percenter, go for it; without the hassle and worry of maintenance costs it's a blast to own and drive!

Yeah, I used to have F-bodies too. I had a 97 Formula and a 02 Trans Am. I eventually bought a 300zx and realized it drove so much better than the F-bodies, so I decided I liked cars that handled. LOL That's when I bought an 02 Z06, then an 03 Z06. When I was about to turn 30, I ordered a C7 before they were in production. (Birthday gift to myself)

The reality is that I make a decent living, but I'm not a 1%er yet, and as of right now, I'm saving up to have a really nice honeymoon when my GF and I get married. So... After reading this and a lot of other threads, I'm seeing it's just not the right decision for me to pick up a roadster. The difficulty in finding parts, and then paying for them and the labor after that... Just doesn't seem like a good idea for me right now. Maybe, later, when I don't have to worry about money.

For sure, though, GM treats me like dirt. I bought $115K in cars from them in 1 year and they've kicked me in the butt every chance they've gotten. I brought my car in for service last week and went to pick up the car today and waiting a good 45 minutes just for them to get a porter to bring up my car. :/ I'm pretty sure even the Toyota dealerships are faster than that.

I enjoy driving the Vette. But I feel guilty doing it. I'm VERY much looking forward to the supposed new roadster Elon has talked about. I'm sure that it's going to cost a mint, but by then I better be able to afford it cash! LOL :D

Unfortunately, comparing the Roadster to a Mustang or even a Corvette just isn't a fair comparison (when looking at things like "reliability" and "repair costs"). You're better off comparing it to low-production/high-performance exotics. Think Lotus, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, etc.

I don't know about that. I've had both, and honestly, I'd say that the comparison between F-bodies and Y-bodies are very similar. There's definitely a lot more refinement in the Corvette, and they have a lot of differences still. But I don't consider a Corvette really high-end. I was raised on Corvettes, and after owning all of the sports cars GM has had to offer over the last decade+, the similarities they have are the shoddy quality issues and cut corners at every turn. GM is the only company that literally up-sells stuff that is physically free.

To the OP @Crash83K, do your research (this forum is an awesome resource. The good, the bad, the ugly. It's all here.) In my opinion, if you're still asking questions like "Does it Supercharge?" and "How do the seats feel?" you're not ready to even consider one yet.

Find someone local who's either selling one, or willing to take you for a spin in theirs. The cabin is tight, by anyone's standard, the creature-comforts are sparse. It has what you need (A/C, stereo, navigation, heated seats, headlights, etc.) but not a whole lot more than that.

Cargo room is seriously lacking. If you get the 2.0 or 2.5, you get a "Glove box"...and understand that this is a terribly appropriate name for it. It has room for ONE glove in it...not a pair.

Yep, definitely been digging around the forum. Honestly, sparse interiors are fine with me. (Preferable, actually)

Since I've come from Corvettes and F-bodies, seat comfort is not an issue. If I can deal with the C5 Z06 seats, I can deal with any seats. I was definitely curious about the supercharger because I'd like to be able to take my car to Vegas. I drive to Vegas somewhat regularly. That's a 300 mile trip for me, with at least 1 supercharger station between.

Also, I don't really care about cargo space. I have a back pack (for my laptop) and a duffel bag. :D My girlfriend and I usually stuff everything we need for the weekend in one bag. I think she does that so I'll be the one carrying everything. LOL

So, just today, I wrote an article about the decision making process of whether or not to buy a used Roadster. I hope you find it informative and useful.

John Ratcliff's Weblog: Should you buy a used Tesla Roadster sports car? The definitive answer blog post

Excellent! Mostly on the basis that I would like the car to be under warranty, I'm now thinking about leasing a Model S to buy time before the next Roadster comes out. (Or, if it doesn't, buy the next version of the Model S.)

You've all been seriously helpful. As I said before, a huge departure from what I've been used to with the Corvette Forum (at least the C7 section).

I drove a brand new 2006 Corvette Z06 for 10 years before buying our 2015 P85D last year. I loved driving the Corvette, especially at the Ron Fellows Driving Academy and occasional High Performance Driving Events at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch outside of Las Vegas. However only having 2 seats, a couple of BIG repairs (expensive LS7 heads replaced at 50k miles, repeated Active Handling System failures) and 19 city / 26 highway mpg if I drove it EASY got old after 10 years.

Our 2015 P85D is faster, more comfortable, MUCH lower cost per mile (80MPGe) and safer in everyday driving... A quantum leap over the Corvette. Because its also an SUV with AWD and tons of storage room, it replaced our 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 too.

We don't miss our Corvette or our Jeep Grand Cherokee AT ALL since the P85D arrived. You might want to consider one too.