Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is what getting a misaligned steering wheel fixed has been like.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my M3 from Dania Beach last Friday. The place was a zoo and the delivery process was rushed and hectic. When I got out on the highway I noticed the steering wheel was misaligned about 5-10 degrees to the right. I was now stuck in rush hour traffic and had a 110 mile drive home so I figured I would just call about it the next day. The delivery team at Dania Beach appears to be overwhelmed and NEVER answers the phone. I left a detailed message Saturday on voicemail and asked for someone to return my call. Their message says all calls are returned within 24 hours.

Fast forward to Wednesday, I have received no call back and left two additional voicemails on Monday and Tuesday as well as an email, all of which were not responded to. Finally mid-morning Wednesday I get a call from someone from Dania Beach but I am in a meeting. I call back when I am free but again get thrown into voicemail. On my lunch break I call again and get lucky enough to get a guy on the phone.

I explained my problem. He said I should make an appointment at the Sarasota SC on the west coast. Huh, Sarasota doesn't show up in the app as a valid service center. "It's new so it doesn't show up in the app" he says. Ok, so how do I book an appointment with them then? I also told him that I would like to schedule a Saturday appointment so I don't have to burn vacation days to get the car fixed. The guy tells me to do the following:

Go into the app and make a fake appointment for Dania Beach. In the notes say you really want the appointment for Sarasota and you want it to be on a Saturday, not Tuesday which was the first available day Dania had open. He said based on those notes the appointment should get scheduled. Are you serious??

Well I did as I was instructed and created the bogus appointment. The next day I get a text message saying whoops, it turns out you still can't schedule for Sarasota so your only option is Dania Beach and Dania does not do any service work on Saturdays... peachy.

So I conceded that I will just have to bite the bullet, take next Tuesday off and drive over there. During this time we also discovered a 3-4 inch run in the paint that I also sent a picture of to the service department at Dania. After lunch today I get ANOTHER text. He says that now my appointment has been transferred to the Naples Remote Tech group and that they should be able to fix the steering wheel misalignment AND the run in the paint. I have no way to contact this group to find out details of when this should happen.

I can hardly wait to see how this turns out but I certainly don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about it. This scenario is exactly what gave me pause about buying a Tesla in the first place.

Attachments

• 58883052_1274596399358325_6412824774988267520_n.jpg
    58883052_1274596399358325_6412824774988267520_n.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 502
  • 58673963_10157555199187841_1024694427056078848_n.jpg
    58673963_10157555199187841_1024694427056078848_n.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 652
Since being told my call was forwarded to the remote tech group last Friday there has been no further contact from that group. I have reached out to the web site chat agents twice. The first time was Monday and the second time was today. On Monday they said the techs have 2-3 days to reach out to you. Today the agent said since that time frame has now expired, he will escalate the call and I should hear something "soon". He said to wait another couple days. Oh, the web agent said that unlike what I was told by the Dania Beach personnel, the problem with the paint/clearcoat will likely need to be done by a body shop, not the remote tech, meaning more down time.

I love the car but this service experience blows my mind. I just don't understand how Tesla views this an acceptable way to handle customer service needs. I have been trying to get resolution since April 27th...

Reactions: patrick80132
I love the car but this service experience blows my mind. I just don't understand how Tesla views this an acceptable way to handle customer service needs. I have been trying to get resolution since April 27th...

I feel your pain. I have had similar experiences for simple fixes. If your nearest service center is poorly run, your experience with Tesla service is going to be terrible on a regular basis.

Is either one keeping you from driving or a safety risk? Why are you so worried and in a hurry than? Maybe people with issues that keep them from driving or are sefety risks should and do get priority?
Not a safety risk but certainly doesn't mean "whenever we feel like it" response times are ok with me? Perhaps they are for you which is cool. I have been told the paint run could be fixed by the SC, then it had to be a body shop, then a remote tech could do it. Communication definitely is not a priority in my local Tesla town. If you haven't had similar issues that's great.

Mine tracks straight as well so I don't think it is actually out of alignment. I am hoping they can put it in a service mode that simply allows them to calibrate the wheel to what "straight" is.

If it's anything like the S or X, the steering wheel can't be adjusted if it's off. It is the alignment.

You example shows how Tesla is shooting themselves in the foot by running the service centers so poorly and having them understaffed. Customers get annoyed, they call, email and use the chat system repeatedly. Instead of getting one message, they now have to go through many messages and emails causing them even more work. Elon is a visionary, he is brilliant. But the boring yet important stuff like service, is neglected.

If it's anything like the S or X, the steering wheel can't be adjusted if it's off. It is the alignment.

You example shows how Tesla is shooting themselves in the foot by running the service centers so poorly and having them understaffed. Customers get annoyed, they call, email and use the chat system repeatedly. Instead of getting one message, they now have to go through many messages and emails causing them even more work. Elon is a visionary, he is brilliant. But the boring yet important stuff like service, is neglected.

I would say they are shooting themselves with initial quality out the door. What is scary is the software updates seem to have the same quality standards.

When the Model X and Model 3 came out, the factory pushed out way too many cars with quality issues and relied on the service centers to fix them later on. Kind of passing on the work down the line. The cost would be the same for Tesla either way. It's the same amount of man hours to fix the issues. Probably easier to fix them at the factory. But making customers unhappy when they get new cars with issues is detrimental to the brand's image and reputation. The more mainstream Tesla becomes, the less forgiving the client base will be.

The new steering wheel design in the S can be adjusted without doing a full alignment. We had ours replaced for broken buttons on our 2015 and the new one was installed crooked. Mobile service was able to adjust it in our driveway, no alignment needed.