Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This might seem silly, but how do you think window tinting will work on the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After looking at the latest pics from the Family and Friends event, the prototype Model 3 now has it's rear windshield tinted halfway to mimic a traditional car's roof, as seen below:
eVbmFi2.jpg

And if this specific tint makes to production, then how do you think it will affect those who wish to get aftermarket tints to their rear windows?

If a tint is applied to the non-tinted lower half of the rear glass, then wouldn't there be an awkward seam between the factory tinted section and the aftermarket tinted section? It would also be more awkward if the aftermarket tint's darkness doesn't exactly match the factory tint.

I was kinda hoping the production Model 3 would just come with factory tints (or be optional) for all rear windows just like the Model X and the matte black Model 3 prototype so that the challenge of getting an aftermarket tint to seamlessly blend on the rear windshield could be avoided.

What do you guys think?

Actually, I very much like what they have done to with the darkened glass. Just don't think of it as a tint - that should do the trick :) Note that this is just the top section of the glass made opaque similar to what a solid roof would do. Not all of us want or like the rear passengers sitting underneath a clear glass "display" and if that is an option, then perfectly fine but it is not in Model 3.

If you then want to do you own tint, that should not be a problem because all you do is apply the tint (internally) to the entire glass to extend to the factory darkened section. Only limitation might be that you will have to match tint shade.

Last edited:
Reactions: X-Auto
I may still tint my windows, but not touch the back. In MA, we're allowed 35%, whether it comes from OEM or aftermarket.

The place I used for my Audi does a quality job, and when I brought my Audi in, there was a Model S, a Maserati, and a Murcielago in the bays, so I think they'll be able to tint 4 Model 3 windows for me.

Shouldn't be an issue tinting. The glass is dye-tinted from the manufacturer, not a film applied tint, there won't be a "seam" unless you stop the tint halfway through. This is similar to the Model X windshield where the top half is tinted. Let's not confuse "tinted" with IR rejection. It's tinted to reduce glare and provide privacy, but could still benefit from IR rejecting tint to keep the car cooler.

Every time I see views from the top makes me think of all the wasted space there is at the back. I don't mind having trunk instead of hatch design, but seems like design could have been much better with the shelf area. Guess we will see how it looks come production.

Reactions: X-Auto
Shouldn't be an issue tinting. The glass is dye-tinted from the manufacturer, not a film applied tint, there won't be a "seam" unless you stop the tint halfway through.

But if the darkened tint film is applied to the entire rear windshield, it would make the factory tinted section appear more opaque compared to the non-factory tinted section, right? It would ruin the aesthetic of having a single shade of tint applied by now having 2 different shades of tint.

But if the darkened tint film is applied to the entire rear windshield, it would make the factory tinted section appear more opaque compared to the non-factory tinted section, right? It would ruin the aesthetic of having a single shade of tint applied by now having 2 different shades of tint.

The current aesthetic is already 2 shades of tint. The darkened roof glass tint fades to clear glass for the rear window. Applying a tint on top of that would simply make that transition less noticeable (from the outside). The dark tint would simply transition to darker tint.

I think if they are going to tint it, it should be same tint across the whole thing, just like the X and traditional SUVs. With all that glass back there, it needs to block out as much UV as possible or will let too much heat in. Maybe that is an X windshield put in backwards? :p Seriously though, seems odd that the top of the back glass is tinted even more than the glass over the driver/passenger area.

I think if they are going to tint it, it should be same tint across the whole thing, just like the X and traditional SUVs.
SUVs and vans have different rules for darkened windows in most places.

Seriously though, seems odd that the top of the back glass is tinted even more than the glass over the driver/passenger area.
it's a prototype... You think they would sell it with the rear window tinted and the center section totally clear?

I think if they are going to tint it, it should be same tint across the whole thing, just like the X and traditional SUVs. With all that glass back there, it needs to block out as much UV as possible or will let too much heat in. Maybe that is an X windshield put in backwards? :p Seriously though, seems odd that the top of the back glass is tinted even more than the glass over the driver/passenger area.

I'm certain that part will be tinted. But for now it's not because of display purposes.

I am still betting on Electrochromic glass.

You should be able to adjust the light penetration just like the air conditioning. When you are not in the car it could go solid, while driving during the day 35% light penetration. Same goes on a sunny cold day when you park the car, it could be set to 100% so the car stays warmer.

• Love
Reactions: MissAutobahn
I am still betting on Electrochromic glass.

You should be able to adjust the light penetration just like the air conditioning. When you are not in the car it could go solid, while driving during the day 35% light penetration. Same goes on a sunny cold day when you park the car, it could be set to 100% so the car stays warmer.
That would definitely be cool, but cost is a concern for a feature like that. Not only how that could affect the purchase price, but would that make replacing the panel super expensive as well?

It's a big concern for me. I don't want the sun glaring down on me in the summer all the time like I see on the model X videos I've seen. I would need to have some sort of pull down shade (like every other sunroof manufacturer does) or the Electrochromic glass would be even better - but I can't have nothing and get a glass roof.