Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those “cheap” tires review part 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ABE1FD2F-BAE1-4AAA-A5CA-A04AFB6B2A02.jpeg
F0E3ED76-2574-4FBE-AD92-A3735FDD8602.jpeg
This is a quick fallow up review of my post from last April on some cheaper tires I had purchased in Feb of this year. Original Review found here Those “cheap tires” review

Quick background:
I had Tesla’s factory installed tires for the 21s from date of purchase. After about 13k miles, they were ran down to about 20% life before swapping them.

Quick fallow up:
I decided to purchase the cheapest possible tires I could find which were the Nankang’s for $562 tax and shipping included with a 40k mile warranty. (what were you thinking?! Got it) to see how something at a lesser price point would compare.

As of today, I’ve driven 31k miles on my car and in which 18k of those miles are on those “cheap” tires.

I just pulled a picture that was taken at 2000 miles and a picture I just took as of today. The first pic is at 2k miles, 2nd pic is at 18k miles. As you can see, there is plenty of tread remaining even after 18k I would say around 70% if I were to guess based on the “penny test” to me, that’s impressive and may actually live up to Nankangs claim for them to include a 40k mile warranty.

If comparing to Tesla’s included high dollar Continentals far as life goes.. incomparable. I’m a heavy and harsh driver and those Continentals showed just that after 13k. To the point it was completely unsafe to drive on. The Nankangs on the other hand, 18k and roughly 70% is great especially for a Tesla and my driving style.

Read back at my original post Those “cheap tires” review for a more detail review. I still stand by my first review and still believe these perform more like a all season vs a performance tire that these are market as.

Lastly, as far as stopping distance goes. I don’t have the right tools or Environment To properly test that category like most. But, based on real world driving, stopping on a dime has never been an issue and doesn’t feel any less/worst then any other car I own. So after 7 months, 18k later, and ~70% life remaining, would still recommend these and buy again. The price point, performance (all season) life expectancy, and warranty is a lot of value for under $600 all in.

“penny test”

The penny test is supposed to have lincoln's head facing the tire. With the concept being if the tread was short enough that you saw all of lincoln's head it was time to replace your tires. It's an old outdated recommendation as that level of tread doesn't give you proper traction in standing water/rain/snow.

The updated coin test is to use the quarter and the top of washingtons head as seen here

tire-tread-depth-test.jpg

4/32 tread is much safer in rain/snow conditions.

Feel free to drive it to 0/32 and have slicks if you never see rain or snow and are a complete cheapskate but if you care about traction replace it in the 3/32 to 4/32 range and you'll have more.

Reactions: pvazquez03
The penny test is supposed to have lincoln's head facing the tire. With the concept being if the tread was short enough that you saw all of lincoln's head it was time to replace your tires. It's an old outdated recommendation as that level of tread doesn't give you proper traction in standing water/rain/snow.

The updated coin test is to use the quarter and the top of washingtons head as seen here

tire-tread-depth-test.jpg

4/32 tread is much safer in rain/snow conditions.

Feel free to drive it to 0/32 and have slicks if you never see rain or snow and are a complete cheapskate but if you care about traction replace it in the 3/32 to 4/32 range and you'll have more.

Well, I completely did that wrong lol but you can still see reference points of the penny for a decent Visual and comparison

Reactions: SSedan
Well, I completely did that wrong lol but you can still see reference points of the penny for a decent Visual and comparison

Heh, I didn't notice you are in Tacoma, WA. For sure you'll want to replace them before they get down to 2/32, up to you how much before that but the tire industry would say 4/32 is a good stopping point. ;)

Kind of hard to tell with the reversed penny but I'm assuming you are coming close. Those wear bars might be 4/32 bars?

Looking at that tread it looks like there are 3 major grooves I'd coin check. That'll give you clues on alignment and tire pressure.

Can't say for sure from the pictures but it looks like the outside of the tire wore more quickly / has less tread. If that is true on the inside as well or if you don't mind the ride difference I'd run it up to sidewall max to even out the tread wear (use the center more).

@Keith909man - in your first review, you indicated that your Wh/mi was worse on these tires by 20-40. Do you feel like that estimate has held up?

I CHEW through tires (12k TOPS for a set is the best I have ever gotten), so anything cheaper that lasts longer would be awesome.

Good question that I forgot to give an update about. This is still true BUT not as high as I originally estimated. I would say more in the 10-20 range average increase. This slight drop from my original estimate could be due to break in and a little wear? I believe the increase in power consumption is due to the heavier tread/pattern which again, makes it more idea for increment weather. You win some you lose some.

You really can’t beat the price with a 40k mile warranty for how well their have held up.

Good question that I forgot to give an update about. This is still true BUT not as high as I originally estimated. I would say more in the 10-20 range average increase. This slight drop from my original estimate could be due to break in and a little wear? I believe the increase in power consumption is due to the heavier tread/pattern which again, makes it more idea for increment weather. You win some you lose some.

You really can’t beat the price with a 40k mile warranty for how well their have held up.

I have a stack of Michelin's in my garage for our two Model S's, but will give these a hard look when we work through those tires (about a year at the current pace we are going).

Thanks for your review and update.

Specifically went looking for your post. Good to know they are holding up, Tesla just quote me $1,200 for 19” replacements.

The nankangs for 19” would be $472

The cheapest ones possible - Osthu FP 8000 for $371

And the ones with the highest UTGA/warranty for $$$ - $397 Kenda Vezda 500 tread rating/ 50k warranty

Hell even the Goodyear eagle tourings are $500 for all 4

Specifically went looking for your post. Good to know they are holding up, Tesla just quote me $1,200 for 19” replacements.

The nankangs for 19” would be $472

The cheapest ones possible - Osthu FP 8000 for $371

And the ones with the highest UTGA/warranty for $$$ - $397 Kenda Vezda 500 tread rating/ 50k warranty

Hell even the Goodyear eagle tourings are $500 for all 4

Did you get yourself a set? I have to say, I’m reallly impressed with these. Just came back in from a trip from WA to KS 1800 miles one way then 1800 back through snow, ice, winds, crazy roads and they still are holding up. Now at over 30k miles on the set.

Did you get yourself a set? I have to say, I’m reallly impressed with these. Just came back in from a trip from WA to KS 1800 miles one way then 1800 back through snow, ice, winds, crazy roads and they still are holding up. Now at over 30k miles on the set.

Not yet, the tread is all over the place the tires are at 2,3,4,4mm so I'll need at least two, I'll probably get 4 and have them 2 changed now. I have some friends with tire changers so I might go that route or just pay discount to install them and do the balance/rotations.