Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those Raven Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

D.E.

Uncorked
Oct 12, 2016
MI
That new technology motor with the permanent magnets is as, I understand it, used as only one of the two motors in the S. It is superior to the older technology motor.

Am I alone in figuring the current version of the Raven S, with one new technology front motor and one older technology rear motor, is likely a temporary measure, being replaced in the fairly near future by a model S with both motors of the newer technology?

That new technology motor with the permanent magnets is as, I understand it, used as only one of the two motors in the S. It is superior to the older technology motor.

Am I alone in figuring the current version of the Raven S, with one new technology front motor and one older technology rear motor, is likely a temporary measure, being replaced in the fairly near future by a model S with both motors of the newer technology?

It’s not better, it’s different.

Induction motors can torque sleep and spin freely while PM cannot. So the PM motor must always be active and at high speeds acts like a front wheel drive car. The rear motor then spins without consuming any energy.

If both motors were PM then they’d both need to be powered 100% of the time.

Last edited:
It’s not better, it’s different.

Induction motors can torque sleep and spin freely while PM cannot. So the PM motor must always be active and at high speeds acts like a front wheel drive car. The rear motor then spins without consuming any energy.

If both motors were PM then they’d both need to be powered 100% of the time.

So the question is:

If the rumors of the 3 motor Model S and Model X are true, will all three be Induction Motors, or will there be a combination of both just like the Raven, but the two in the rear being identical?

So the question is:

If the rumors of the 3 motor Model S and Model X are true, will all three be Induction Motors, or will there be a combination of both just like the Raven, but the two in the rear being identical?

My opinion is that the three-motor rumor is incorrect info and the Raven upgrade is the S/X powertrain for some time to come.

I think next up for those products is a light exterior refresh (bumper caps, lights, etc) and new interior but the Raven hardware will remain as is.

Reactions: bay74 and PhilDavid

The “Newer” Model 3 uses the same two different types of motors as the new Raven. Probably will continue to use the Raven setup for sometime

[QUOTE="Krash, post: 3767855, member: 59951Twin DU00 would have more rear torque than likely any tires can handle.[/QUOTE]

The traction anti slip system would limit the power to the maximum amount the tires could handle without breaking loose just like they do now. The additional torque would be available when the car is moving quickly enough that the tires are no longer traction limited. That additional motor would provide continued amazing acceleration in the area of the acceleration curve where the current dual motor starts to peter out.

Currently the torque setting and tire selection on every model are matched so that on normal surfaces the traction control does not engage.

There is no acceleration curve. The rate of change of acceleration is flat due to the fixed torque setting up until the max battery setting. The only curve is downward after back EMF limits power at high speeds.

Reactions: Pluglife