Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those with EnhancedAP to receive 3k discount on FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From an accounting standpoint, selling FSD does not do much to 'boost profits'. Since FSD doesn't exist yet and requires a computer upgrade, most of the cash gained from selling FSD now (or end of quarter) goes onto the Balance Sheet as a liability. While it will boost cash on hand, it won't help profits.

True. But they may be a step ahead and be predicting when they may be able to realize some revenues (though with Tesla perhaps not!). In any case, FSD is going to get cheaper as time goes by. So may as well take in as much cash from people as possible, early, while FSD is still worth something. $3k is a LOT. As a simple level 2 aid, which is the current trajectory, it will be commoditized very quickly. Which looks like what is priced into the market right now. We’ll see.

From an accounting standpoint, selling FSD does not do much to 'boost profits'. Since FSD doesn't exist yet and requires a computer upgrade, most of the cash gained from selling FSD now (or end of quarter) goes onto the Balance Sheet as a liability. While it will boost cash on hand, it won't help profits.

This was true up until a few months ago (and I imagine remains true for pre-new-AP sales and maybe to-EAP-owner sales in the future)

But now that they've redefined FSD to include a bunch of exists-today-and-works features I would expect that's no longer the case when selling FSD to new-AP owners, and that they'd be able to recognize at least some (if not all) of the FSD sales as fulfilled.

Can you post the details?

What do you want to know?

My car:
Midnight Silver Metallic
Black Premium Interior
Long Range
RWD
~$50,500

Current offering:
Midnight Silver Metallic
Black Premium Interior
Long Range
AWD Dual Motor
Autopilot

$48,990

I fully expected my car to become a little cheaper to purchase over time (for the clowns comparing a car to a tv). And $1,510 cheaper within ~6 months wouldn't be a problem at all. Even $2,000-3,000 isn't a big deal. But it's ~$1500 cheaper, and getting what, ~$9,000 in free hardware/software to boot? A ~$10,000 drop in price is quite a large pill to swallow.

(I don't remember how much the AWD upgrade was [$6,000?] and I'm just assuming the current "Autopilot" would be priced around $3,000 since it was bumped to $6,000 around the time I bought my car.)

This. I’m not paying more money than the $55,500 I already paid for my LR RWD, especially with prices how they are now.
That's how much I paid and I'd still upgrade my EAP without hesitation if I wanted to. Anyone that knows Tesla's mission would not be surprised that prices are coming down. Being is an early adopter is always the most expensive way to buy anything except a true investment asset.

What do you want to know?

My car:
Midnight Silver Metallic
Black Premium Interior
Long Range
RWD
~$50,500

Current offering:
Midnight Silver Metallic
Black Premium Interior
Long Range
AWD Dual Motor
Autopilot

$48,990

I fully expected my car to become a little cheaper to purchase over time (for the clowns comparing a car to a tv). And $1,510 cheaper within ~6 months wouldn't be a problem at all. Even $2,000-3,000 isn't a big deal. But it's ~$1500 cheaper, and getting what, ~$9,000 in free hardware/software to boot? A ~$10,000 drop in price is quite a large pill to swallow.

(I don't remember how much the AWD upgrade was [$6,000?] and I'm just assuming the current "Autopilot" would be priced around $3,000 since it was bumped to $6,000 around the time I bought my car.)
I agree those of us with AP should be able to get FSD at that "fire sale" price.
Did you get the $7,500 tax credit? I thought they dropped the prices to compensate for the lower tax credits...

That's how much I paid and I'd still upgrade my EAP without hesitation if I wanted to. Anyone that knows Tesla's mission would not be surprised that prices are coming down. Being is an early adopter is always the most expensive way to buy anything except a true investment asset.

Also, this isn’t even that much of a deal is it? Wasn’t FSD $8,000 (with EAP included) back when we bought? This means it is $7,000 total now for us. Sure it’s $1000 off which helps but I’m still sour about how MUCH of a price drop there has been. Especially since Tesla has raised prices in the past and has been saying prices will go up over time.

Look....

Anyone who bought a M3 in the first 6 months got hosed.... Even more those who bought the EAP and FSD at the time they bought the car...

I certainly would have waited and gone for the P3 because I could have gotten it for about the same price I paid for the M3 with all the options.

So.... It is what it is..... But, if I go for the Y, it will be a year after release.... Not getting burned again on all this price changing stuff...

Look....

Anyone who bought a M3 in the first 6 months got hosed.... Even more those who bought the EAP and FSD at the time they bought the car...

I certainly would have waited and gone for the P3 because I could have gotten it for about the same price I paid for the M3 with all the options.

So.... It is what it is..... But, if I go for the Y, it will be a year after release.... Not getting burned again on all this price changing stuff...

I bought one year and one month after the initial first productions were delivered. Not as hosed as the performance mode owners but still pretty hosed. I thought waiting a year would be a good time. It was one of the worst times.