Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts: Michelin Primacy vs Pilot Sport A/S 3+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NOTE: I am asking about the A/S 3+ (PLUS) which replaces the A/S 3.

I'm down to 3/32 tread depth at 33,000 miles and will be needing replacement of the OEM Primacy tires soon. New Primacy set costs $80 more than the A/S 3+ set, so cost not a huge difference.

Factors:
85D with 19" square setup
Climate -- Southern CA
Annual mileage -- 25,000
Driving style -- 90% highway cruising (70-90 mph) with the occasional stoplight launch; minimal hard cornering

I'm thinking it's hard to go wrong either way, but if anyone has experience with the relatively new A/S 3+ tires, I would love your thoughts. Thanks!

NOTE: I am asking about the A/S 3+ (PLUS) which replaces the A/S 3.

I'm down to 3/32 tread depth at 33,000 miles and will be needing replacement of the OEM Primacy tires soon. New Primacy set costs $80 more than the A/S 3+ set, so cost not a huge difference.

Factors:
85D with 19" square setup
Climate -- Southern CA
Annual mileage -- 25,000
Driving style -- 90% highway cruising (70-90 mph) with the occasional stoplight launch; minimal hard cornering

I'm thinking it's hard to go wrong either way, but if anyone has experience with the relatively new A/S 3+ tires, I would love your thoughts. Thanks!
I had 19" Primacy tires as my "winter" setup with ContiSilent/21" as my summer. Overall I think the Primacy's were quieter, nice ride and all-season ready. I would buy them in a heartbeat.

I can only speak to the Pilot Sport A/S 3 (non plus). They lasted only 16,000 miles on my P85 and wore unevenly despite no real alignment issues per service center. The tires were also terribly noisy after hitting 3-4 mm tread depth. My factory Primacy tires lasted 40,000 miles to the same 3 mm tread depth. The A/S 3, like the A/S 3+, is not a LRR tire and therefore will result in higher Wh/mi consumption. My consumption increased by about 5% w/ A/S 3 vs. Primacy.

I was so disappointed with the overall life of the A/S 3 that I went back to the Primacies as of a few weeks ago when the A/S 3 needed replacement after only 16,000 miles. The Primacy offers a software, quieter, and more comfortable ride. If most of your driving is on the freeway, you'll get a smoother and more efficient ride from the Primacy.

I spoke to a tire guy about Michelin Primacy MXM4 (OEM ones) vs Cinturato P7 Plus vs the Pilot Spot A/S 3+. He thought the Pilots were too aggressive, would have a rough ride and would wear fast. He was a bit biased towards the Michelins (and I got 49.5K miles out of my original ones) but I ended up going with the Cinturato P7 Plus. I have Nokkian H2's for the winter.