Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts of painting the bottom to match body color.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When i get my X, thinking of painting the bottom black to match the body. Ordering white. Did a quick photo shop. what you guys think?
comapre.jpg

Reactions: SaintD
I think there is a reason why the bottom is black plastic. The FWD usually if any will hit the bottom black plastic part when raise up in many conditions. This will avoid getting damaged, if it was painted, you will see scratches. I would keep it the way it is if i were you.

Stumbled across this thread browsing for something else. I know it's kinda old, but thought of another reason to not paint or alter the lower trim. The lower plastic trim portion on the Falcon Doors is a capacitive touch sensor. Stops the door from opening any further if you touch it while in motion.

I'm doing a clear bra front wrap and asked about vinyl wrapping the black plastic to match the body color, but my detailer said it's not possible to wrap without significant about of work to sand down the surface (due to the material type). I'm not 100% sure why exactly.

In any case, I'm just leaving it as is -- hopefully, it matches well the satin black chrome delete that I'm having them do.

When I see an X in real life I personally do not like the black plastic I think it looks cheap like a Mazda or an Audi Allroad. A Cayenne GTS is painted where the others are not and IMO it looks so so much better. The funny thing is besides black I mind it the least on the white, maybe cause the stark contrast. I absolutely hate it on the the other colors.

When i get my X, thinking of painting the bottom black to match the body. Ordering white. Did a quick photo shop. what you guys think?View attachment 172424
Can you do that same picture with a white model S with 21" dark grey turbine wheels? I'd love to see what it looks like. As for doing it on an X I don't like it. It does make it look thick through the middle. As far as fixing it up to make it look better look at getting new rims and lower it.

When I see an X in real life I personally do not like the black plastic I think it looks cheap like a Mazda or an Audi Allroad. A Cayenne GTS is painted where the others are not and IMO it looks so so much better. The funny thing is besides black I mind it the least on the white, maybe cause the stark contrast. I absolutely hate it on the the other colors.

I have a cayenne that has lower black plastic trims and always wanted to paint it, but having it for a three years I'm glad I didn't. I can feel a lot of chips and road rash when I wash the bottom of the car. It would be nice to have it paint matched, but there's a reason it's not painted.

I have a cayenne that has lower black plastic trims and always wanted to paint it, but having it for a three years I'm glad I didn't. I can feel a lot of chips and road rash when I wash the bottom of the car. It would be nice to have it paint matched, but there's a reason it's not painted.
Not sure if that's the reason. The GTS has its side skirts painted.