Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Future Resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With cars in short supply, their resale value is remarkable. Makes sense that as production ramps up and improvements are made, the earlier cars will experience more normal depreciation.

It seems that the word is getting out that used EVs have less maintenance and wear issues than ICE vehicles. Believe as things go on, Tesla will retain value better than most used ICE cars.

Reactions: Carolina Karl
There is a little, but some buyers willing to pay a premium for a hard to get configuration now instead of in the future.
Profit is challenging because of the govermental fees and buying costs.
Some used to make $ by selling their cars at net costs, but pocketing the Federal/State/Utility kick backs.

One guy is posting on forums to sell a Tesla he won in a lottery. Listing a higher than retail price because he can offer immediate delivery.

The high resale values for these cars in the market is irrational IMO and will not last. The model 3 is mass produced and using current technology, which is rapidly evolving. Tesla also has a habit of mucking with their pricing and it defies logic by going lower rather than higher.

So, in 2023 or 2024, why would anyone want to pay "top dollar" for a used model 3 with 'old hardware' (by then) + wear and tear? Frankly, the only reason resale is as high as it is now is because of impatient or non-cost sensitive buyers. That will only last so long.

And trust me, I'd love to see values on these cars stay high. My last 2 cars (Audi RS4 and Porsche 997 Turbo) both ended up holding their value very well, but neither is mass produced or utilize quick-to-outdate technologies. They are both over 10 years old which provided enough time for a niche following willing to pay a bit more for low mileage and well cared for examples.

Is there any arbitrage right now in selling used to buy new? Hmm

I would say that if you plan to upgrade to a new Model 3, now is the time to sell your old one to get the best resale and have the lowest cost to upgrade. There's a lot of forces coming that will pull down the price of used ones: demand decreases, supply increases, new tech, Model Y, etc.

Reactions: TypeRx
Have you looked at resale values of 1st Gen Model X/S?

That should be a good indicator.

Agree..X and S models from 4-5 years ago are have depreciated like 40-60% easy. Expect the 3 to end up there as well.

In the end, enjoy your car while you have it. And to avoid this whole depreciation nonsense, drive your car into the ground. My son (he is 14 now!) I'm sure will "inherit" my P3D+ in a few years. Lucky kid.

Most collector cars only rise in value if you don't drive them. The Unicorns with low mileage, well stored, factory stock and with unique and desirable options show big values. Putting lots of miles on a Ferrari can cause significant lower offering prices.

The high resale values for these cars in the market is irrational IMO and will not last. The model 3 is mass produced and using current technology, which is rapidly evolving. Tesla also has a habit of mucking with their pricing and it defies logic by going lower rather than higher..

S/X held value significantly better than comparable vehicles for years and years.

The 3 will do it even moreso as long as demand exceeds supply- which it will for quite a while given how battery-limited Tesla (and even moreso any "competing" EV maker) is.

S/X held value significantly better than comparable vehicles for years and years.

The 3 will do it even moreso as long as demand exceeds supply- which it will for quite a while given how battery-limited Tesla (and even moreso any "competing" EV maker) is.

Agree on the *early* S holding value well over time but not on the X. Especially because of Tesla's pricing shenanigans...owners of 2016 Model X's have experienced massive depreciation. On the flipside, at least original owners were eligible for maximal federal/local incentives.