Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future loss of $7500?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cars are tools, not investments.
Agree.

My point is that Tesla has told its reps to let Y buyers know there is no update in 2024, and thus no reason to delay a Y purchase.

Tesla has not said anything about the new 3’s potential $7500 tax credit return. Which means they are trying to keep its sales going.

Even GM offered a $7500 credit on the Lyriq until it qualified again. Tesla should too. Otherwise a lot of 3 buyers will be unhappy.

It is amazing that anyone is buying a Highland 3 now since later this year it could qualify for the $7500 credit.
Not really sure of the issue. If you do not get the $7,500 credit when you pick up the car, as long as the car qualifies and you meet the other eligibility requirements, I am pretty sure you can still take the tax credit when you file your taxes next year. Best to verify with your personal tax account.

Note that the offering the credit at time of sale is not mandatory.

Tesla has not said anything about the new 3’s potential $7500 tax credit return.
What makes you think there is a potential for it to return this year? (I'm not aware of any large North American battery factories that are going to be pumping out compatible cells in the next year. And even Panasonic's expansion is going to be small, just enough to support ramping Model Ys at GigaTexas a little more.)

• Informative
Reactions: E90alex and ATPMSD
Not really sure of the issue. If you do not get the $7,500 credit when you pick up the car, as long as the car qualifies and you meet the other eligibility requirements, I am pretty sure you can still take the tax credit when you file your taxes next year. Best to verify with your personal tax account.

Note that the offering the credit at time of sale is not mandatory.
The present cars do not qualify. But if Tesla is like Ford or GM they would be working hard to get their battery eligible again. $7500 discount on a $46k car is a lot not to use in an increasingly competitive market.

Reactions: RSpanner
The present cars do not qualify. But if Tesla is like Ford or GM they would be working hard to get their battery eligible again. $7500 discount on a $46k car is a lot not to use in an increasingly competitive market.

I think for GM it was just a couple little parts they had to source from a non-China company. I haven't seen anything about Ford planning to get the credit back for the Mach-E. For Tesla the problem is the actual cells themselves, something you can't easily source from elsewhere.

And doing that would require getting a new battery manufacturing plant setup, and production scaled. That is something that isn't going to happen in the next 10 months. Tesla has been asking their partners to make as many cells as fast as possible for years, but they have been dragging their feet.

Reactions: E90alex
What percent of buyers are eligible for the rebate? I’d guess a large number in the Bay Area don’t qualify anyway so the rebate wouldn’t matter and the number of Teslas on the road here is insane. My Model Y might as well make me invisible it’s so ubiquitous!

Reactions: evo9rs
There’s no indication the credit will be available for Model 3 again any time soon. It would require a whole new battery pack and there’s no new battery factory coming online in the near future to make 2170 cells for Tesla.

The Highland M3P (yet to be introduced) may wind up costing less on the bottom line, than the Highland M3LR, if the Panasonic battery pack is carried over.
I bet they will either use the same LG pack or keep the Panasonic pack but price the new Performance over the $55k mark to make it ineligible for the credit to prevent this exact scenario.

• Informative
Reactions: mborkow
What percent of buyers are eligible for the rebate? I’d guess a large number in the Bay Area don’t qualify anyway so the rebate wouldn’t matter and the number of Teslas on the road here is insane. My Model Y might as well make me invisible it’s so ubiquitous!
Huh? The other 49 states buy about 1/2 of Teslas sold in USA as well as competing evs. The ev rebate does matter to these purchasers. Tesla 3 without it should lose sales.

I ordered M3 RWD the other day. Since it's under $42000 I get a NY State price reduction so it equalizes the 2K I had to spend to add white car and interior. Current car is all black and I nearly burnt my hands on the steering wheel even with the windows open. I'm gonna look into that 3rd party sliding roof shade.
Plus.....I get to transfer FSD so, IF they ever get it going in the next few years I feel it would be more valuable on a trade in

Huh? The other 49 states buy about 1/2 of Teslas sold in USA as well as competing evs. The ev rebate does matter to these purchasers. Tesla 3 without it should lose sales.
You seem to be stuck on the idea that the problem here is Tesla just isn’t trying enough to make the Model 3 eligible for the tax rebate.

What you’re not understanding is it’s a deliberate decision. They only have so many US-sourced batteries to go around. Right now, they are all going to the higher margin (and more in need of sales stimulus) Model Y.

The only way that changes this year is if Model Y sales tank and there are enough extra batteries to go to the Model 3. Plausible, but unlikely.

Reactions: E90alex and evo9rs