Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on rear bumper repair vs replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Minor rear-end damage.

Choices)

1) Tesla service center is offering to do the job via a remote service call (!!) where they order the bumper (I assume it comes in unpainted, and they paint it), and then send the guy out to swap it onto my car in the parking lot. - For about $1100 - zero down-time.

2) Tesla approved body shop is offering to remove/replace/reinstall - For about $2100 - downtime between 4 days and 2 weeks.

Zero $ cost to me either way, since other insurance is paying.

Can anyone tell me WHY I should choose option 2 over option 1?

Thanks.

Minor rear-end damage.

Choices)

1) Tesla service center is offering to do the job via a remote service call (!!) where they order the bumper (I assume it comes in unpainted, and they paint it), and then send the guy out to swap it onto my car in the parking lot. - For about $1100 - zero down-time.

2) Tesla approved body shop is offering to remove/replace/reinstall - For about $2100 - downtime between 4 days and 2 weeks.

Zero $ cost to me either way, since other insurance is paying.

Can anyone tell me WHY I should choose option 2 over option 1?

Thanks.
Not sure about rear bumpers but for my front bumper when Tesla did it came painted from the factory so it was really easy for them to swap it out versus third parties that wanted to order and paint.

Not sure about rear bumpers but for my front bumper when Tesla did it came painted from the factory so it was really easy for them to swap it out versus third parties that wanted to order and paint.

I think it depends on where you have it done. If you go to one of the Tesla body shops, I have heard they receive a painted bumper direct from Tesla (which seems odd, since a Tesla body shop should have a paint booth).

I have also heard that a service center (not a Tesla body shop) will receive an unpainted bumper, and have it painted. (who though?)

I've asked my service advisor, and he says "the bumper will be painted by Tesla's Body Shop"

I don't know if that means it is painted in Fremont California, and shipped here...or if it is shipped unpainted to a local "Tesla Body Shop" where it gets painted.

Either way, I'm pretty sure I'm going with option 1...

Personally, for me the operative words are "zero downtime". So I would go with option 1.

The only possible reason to go with option 2 is that sometimes there are slight variations in the paint color. Your new part was painted several months after your car was painted, so there may be slight variations. If you take your car to a body shop (option 2), they can blend the paint into the neighboring panels, and fix any such variations.

So if you want zero chance of any variations in your paint color and you want it to match perfectly, then go with option 2. But if it isn't that important to you and you want to get your car back asap, I would choose option 1.

I was rear ended a year ago in mine. Damage was 3 or 4 gouges, a damaged sensor and an imprint of her front licence plate. I ended up going with remove, repair, repaint and reinstall. The Tesla authorized body shop had the car for 4 days. The end result was as good as new.
It was approx $1150 for the repair. A new replacement bumper instead with the prep involved was estimated @bout $1000 higher plus a year ago Model 3 parts were an unknown.

Personally, for me the operative words are "zero downtime". So I would go with option 1.

I don't mind the downtime much. It's a spare care for me, and, even if it wasn't, the insurance company would put me in a rental.

What really matters, though, is the absolute convenience. I don't have to drive anywhere to have it done, or worry about what I'll drive in the meantime, or worry about picking it up. I just go to work in the morning and they fix it in the parking lot. That seems pretty incredible, so we'll see how it goes.

As far as the paint match goes...I'm hoping it comes pretty close. And, I like the idea of have absolutely zero new paint on any other part of the car that might be done as part of the "blending" process if it was a remove/repair/re-install.