Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on S redesign or at least significant update to design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a refreshed S. I remember when it first came out several years ago thinking it was an absolutely beautiful car. I still do but it's getting a little long in the tooth. All major car manufacturers come out with a redesign every 5 years or so. I get Tesla is a new company doing a million things but don't car sales start to plummet when my "refreshed" S still looks virtually identical to the one that first came out years ago. BMW, Audi, MB all make significant changes to their models every few years. Why not Tesla? And no, tweaking the nose was not a significant update IMHO.

Also, curious to hear how many of you would buy another S in 3 or so years if the car still looks the same as it does today which is the same as when it first came out? I love the car but crave physical updates and changes. I don't think I would get another one in a few years if it still looks the same.

Discuss!

I have a refreshed S. I remember when it first came out several years ago thinking it was an absolutely beautiful car. I still do but it's getting a little long in the tooth. All major car manufacturers come out with a redesign every 5 years or so. I get Tesla is a new company doing a million things but don't car sales start to plummet when my "refreshed" S still looks virtually identical to the one that first came out years ago. BMW, Audi, MB all make significant changes to their models every few years. Why not Tesla? And no, tweaking the nose was not a significant update IMHO.

Also, curious to hear how many of you would buy another S in 3 or so years if the car still looks the same as it does today which is the same as when it first came out? I love the car but crave physical updates and changes. I don't think I would get another one in a few years if it still looks the same.

Discuss!
Change for the sake of change is pointless. I'd much rather they keep doing what they are doing - improving the car year after year in objectively measurable ways.

Reactions: BigNick and b team
Didn't you notice changes such as significantly improved 0-60 times?

That never happens with other brands.

That said, however, I'm waiting for improved sound deadening and either faster charging or more range.
What do you mean, "that never happens with other brands"? In general, when a re-design comes out, it is almost always quicker than the model it replaces. That's part of what keeps people coming back - improvements to function and design.

I agree with the point you are making however, at some point, sales will start to suffer because people get tired of the same old design.

Point agreed about older designs causing reduced sales.

However, I’m not sure those who are new to Tesla believe it’s not modern enough. Those who are owners for years may believe so as they are used to this design.

I still have non Tesla owners come up to the car with ‘wow she’s a beauty’ or ‘love the style’. :)

Not just look, Model S should add new functions such as towing capability as well (which currently would void its warranty.)

My S tows. I'm guessing you want it to tow 3500+ lbs, but I guess some people want a car to be a pickup. Maybe they shoulda bought a pickup.

By the way, towing hasn't voided my warranty. The hitch receiver is sitting right there and they never ask what I tow. But then again, I have never had any issues with the car. Over 5 years towing with Tesla. And before that, 6 years towing with a Prius (OH NO! Void the warranty!) and a few more towing with a RAV4EV, without permission. Never was I refused service or repair under warranty.

Just came out to the parking lot a couple days ago and saw the car from a distance. "It's still gorgeous!" Best. Car. Ever.

Reactions: pilotSteve