Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thumb drive. Music source. How?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi have a thumb drive with mp3's on it plugged in behind the console in the tiny port, using an adapter for the thumb drive. So, it is plugged in but i don't see anything showing up on the computer screen going the the entertainment and musing options. How is this done please? Shouldn't i be able to play musing off a thumb drive? (I hope)

You'll have to open the music tab enough so that it shows the media choices - you get a bunch of streaming and radio options, and then to the far right there will be a USB option if your drive is recognized and working. If it's not there you have some kind of connection or formatting problem - make sure it's formatted fat32 as mentioned above, and that you're using one of the two front ports - the ones in the back don't work for this.

Hi have a thumb drive with mp3's on it plugged in behind the console in the tiny port, using an adapter for the thumb drive. So, it is plugged in but i don't see anything showing up on the computer screen going the the entertainment and musing options. How is this done please? Shouldn't i be able to play musing off a thumb drive? (I hope)

For the newest model 3's (and all Y's) the power from that USB-C port is funny. I don't think it's true USB-PD nor straight-forward USB power. It's some kind of proprietary fast charging that can cause all sorts of issues with adapters and traditional thumb drives.

You need to plug your thumb drive into the standard (larger) USB-A for music. I'm assuming you already have a sentry drive in that spot. If that's the case, you need a USB-A hub so both thumb drives can go into that hub, which then plugs into the Tesla large USB-A. Don't worry, the car will recognize and use both sticks through one port for sentry and music.

For the newest model 3's (and all Y's) the power from that USB-C port is funny. I don't think it's true USB-PD nor straight-forward USB power. It's some kind of proprietary fast charging that can cause all sorts of issues with adapters and traditional thumb drives.

You need to plug your thumb drive into the standard (larger) USB-A for music. I'm assuming you already have a sentry drive in that spot. If that's the case, you need a USB-A hub so both thumb drives can go into that hub, which then plugs into the Tesla large USB-A. Don't worry, the car will recognize and use both sticks through one port for sentry and music.
In the front console, under the panel there are two ports, i presume USB-A. One has a cable attached to an inductive charger that came with the car, a new build. The other port does not seem to have anything in it. I can't see it directly due to the way the front panel opens and when i put my baby finger in there it is just flat, nothing to feel. Anyone know about this?

In the front console, under the panel there are two ports, i presume USB-A. One has a cable attached to an inductive charger that came with the car, a new build. The other port does not seem to have anything in it. I can't see it directly due to the way the front panel opens and when i put my baby finger in there it is just flat, nothing to feel. Anyone know about this?
The USB port connected to the wireless charger is USB C. The other one is USB A; it can be used for TeslaCam/Sentry recording or for a USB device with music. You can do both by either getting a splitter/hub and connected two devices, or by partitioning one device.

The other two USB connectors, at the rear of the console, are USB C, but can be used only for charging.