Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ticking rattle noise coming from back right door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any experience with this noise sort of ticking noise coming from the rear door? You might have to turn the volume up a bit to hear it:

It usually occurs on a bit rougher highways, and comes and goes. I took off the door panel and applied felt tape to a bunch of connectors, cables, and anything else I thought might move/make noise, but the nosie was still there afterward. Banging on the door panels doesn't reproduce the noise. Hard to even track down exactly where the noise is coming from, sounds sort of like the door panel, but maybe it's in trim around there? I'm not sure.

Anyone have similar issues or suggestions?

Hard to tell for sure from the video, but I'm pretty sure I have the same clicking/rattle. For me it'll do it even going slowly around the neighborhood. I'm bringing the car in next month for something else so I'm going to have them look at this too.

@ev_go123
I can't be 100% sure it's the exact same noise, but I had something super similar a few weeks back, and it was driving me nuts. I finally figured out that the noise was coming from the gap between the car door and the car itself. The only thing there is that rubber door seal. So, I carefully applied some gummy pflege rubber care (apply and wipe it off.). I even took the seal off and applied it underneath. I wasn't totally convinced because that noise was pretty darn obvious, but it totally fixed the problem. It's been dead silent ever since.

Reactions: ev_go123
A had Tesla mobile service come out today and look at it. They’ve ordered a new part - the rattle seems to be coming from the black hinge thing that offers resistance to the door when opening. I’m sure it has a proper name, I think he said it was the ”stay”.
I have the exact same rattle too. Do you have a photo of the “stay”?

If you open the door and knock on the inside edge and here a rattle/boing sound then it may be the issue/fix
described here:

I initially used the same fix but found that the extra foam would eventually dislodge and the rattle would return. I recently added emergency door release panels, which hook up to the release cable and keep enough tension to prevent the rattle. Just look up “model 3 emergency door puller” on aliexpress and you’ll find a one after scrolling past Model Y results.

So I ended up putting small pieces of felt tape between the plastic door trim and the painted surface of the door itself. I used a plastic pry tool to lift the door trim a tiny bit and then slipped the felt tape in, sticking to the door surface. It's black paint (not my car below), black trim, and the black felt that sticks out a tiny bit so not very noticeable. I'm not 100% sure if that was the issue, but I haven't noticed the noise since. This is the area I'm talking about:

1705183265200.png

Gummy pflege is honestly a good idea too, I believe I've quieted my driver's door seal with some of that that was making some noise too.