Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tie down locations in rear hatch compartment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone take a look to see if there are any tie down locations in rear storage area. What is typical in hatchbacks is to have a tie down location on the right and left sides near the rear seats and additional tie downs near the rear hatch. When carrying equipment, lawnmower, or other things that can roll/slide around it would be great to have locations to use rope or other fasteners to help secure the load. Let me know if there are any tie downs provided and if so, pictures would be appreciated.

There are no tie downs unfortunately. A big miss by Tesla in my opinion. You can utilize the child seat latches on the back of the seats but it’s not ideal. There are all kinds of organizers you can buy but they don’t meet the need that you are referring too.

There are no tie downs unfortunately. A big miss by Tesla in my opinion. You can utilize the child seat latches on the back of the seats but it’s not ideal. There are all kinds of organizers you can buy but they don’t meet the need that you are referring too.

I thought there were tie downs in the seat backs towards the bottom.

I guess those are tether points for car seats...

But you need something to tie the straps to in the very back of the hatch area as well.
Yes, in addition the tether points on the seat are designed to pull the car seat and back tether point together so the force by the tether point is to the front of the car. If the tether point was use as a tie down location then the force would be away from the seat toward the back of the car and would likely just pull the seat back off the seat. I doubt that tether point is attached to the seat frame.

Tie down locations need to be anchored to something solid...

Tie down locations need to be anchored to something solid...

Exactly. I'm looking for a safe way to tie down a spare wheel/tire, along with larger luggage, in the back hatch area on longer drives to Montana, Idaho, and places where the Tesla tire service would take a day to get to. My Toyota Prius prime also sorely needs hardware to attach cross straps to in the (much smaller) deck area. The Prius I had before that one DID have four D-rings on the side walls just above the deck to safely strap down a load, but they have "lost their way" in recent years.

My hack has been to wrap the spare and place it directly behind one of the front seats resting on the floor. Not ideal, but it works, somewhat safely. You don't want a load of stuff shooting forward towards the driver and passenger in a front end collision. Not having a decent way to tie loose items down behind the second row of seats is asking for trouble. Just my two cents worth.