Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tie old panel into house

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

My current setup is Tesla Panels 7.14kw and 2 Powerwall 2. I have a detached garage that has some solar panels on it now that I use to power the garage. There is a a 30A 120V line running to it as well.

I wanted to tie the 600W solar panel into the home using a grid tie inverter to help off set the house consumption more.
I usually us around 9000-1200watts/hr if I can trim off a few watt per hour during the day that would be great.

I didn't want back feed the grid if there was a back out but with my current setup I think my backup gateway solves that issue by turning off my connection to the grid automatically when it detect no from grid so that I can safely continue to power my house VIA the powerwall and the grid tie inverter?

Has anyone else did something like this? It seem to be a waste to have 600 watts not really doing anything on garage
Y6vuJ5M585EjMg2DQGFbOnWwKimrmNMOCNDFWG5svWhiNiheNzPYnvtrLbyfLHrjU53Lyzg1mVPqXhWuZfOBW5BcDGmioJk-0rlvvb0VXxB90n-b_f1QrPXGaouJ8UEza6_OKIP88DIsC8qU6mDzwRpMnKHewZdgQTlLouiveUYs-21cHm9I81nJEOu6zRW8bK1tQ5ZrcEBcVOtYKLQlwLCGAL8PPLOoOWZTPuvZ9xNwqy-UlwYAZHF7ZPYwKzYO2K4kPWh1nJNin3rSGgkzHXlZ5RKVZIOZsTV4RCKz4NyZvZ8igHSF0MQv2NMBt4UNxuvK0exIMox8e67RskKSHOIercEZH5MWylAS0zj5EvrkVd75Fj0JdU1XT7tXgOEjqTRSkIondzGq9CCpTcMmmIrcvU9Sr-O2s0vPTStNpplZaKSpDji8fDLIraSodVppycEDnd-Nq37WBLSSk1fRvI8vbUtfy_Spw1b_hXCX3TKSnIXZXxG08p9gBFVNEjyVIPUSkdJNCBV2XYLCiZLhD9NLFCK_npNnfFI2LohAAENMeingqJOkZmAgqiv63mbjo91EZK7TRLOG93PIj1S9frbl4JNjLpBTbsKvEtkhjjAnKPyapBTPpNmG88SstgWTXB5_F9oBaABSZi5z2zKO6rwqtJs-ChBG67tb2HLT1xDLa8cHODMnP4A9n7H6sg=w751-h466-no

I have a detached garage that has some solar panels on it now that I use to power the garage. There is a a 30A 120V line running to it as well.
If you can get a 240 volt circuit to the garage adding some microinverters would be the most cost effective for that amount of panels.
A lot will depend on what size the panels are on the garage and how they power the garage with DC or standalone AC inverter. A rough rule of thumb would suggest that 600 Watts of panels could generate 720 kWhs of energy a year.

First you would need to have the ability to add another breaker to your existing panel for the garage solar. It will only need to support 2.5A (600/240) as well as have the head space for that breaker in the 120% rule of total amperage for your panel. You would basically copy the setup of your main solar and just have two solar arrays feeding your main panel. I believe some people already have this setup if their solar array is too large for one inverter.

How does your garage array currently power your garage? Off the grid inverter? You may just need to swap the inverter and run conduit and wire the new breaker in your existing panel.