Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tim Hortons Charging Infrastructure/An Introduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: Tim Horton's charger: Awesome! I'll stop by some time.

Look what is at the Home Depot in Oakville! I wasn't sure I should park there since mine isn't a "Hybrid". Nice gesture putting in the 110V outlets. If ever I am stuck for a charge I can stop and shop at Home Depot for a couple of .....days. :biggrin:

IMG_0026.JPG

Last edited:
Look what is at the Home Depot in Oakville! I wasn't sure I should park there since mine isn't a "Hybrid". Nice gesture putting in the 110V outlets. If ever I am stuck for a charge I can stop and shop at Home Depot for a couple of .....days. :biggrin:

That's hilarious! I've been trying to emphasize that the power of the EV charger and the typical duration of the stay are inversely proportional. 120 volt outlets or 30 amp EVSE are fine for hotels, employee parking, commuter lots and so forth while higher power makes more sense at stores, restaurants and other short term spots. At least HD is thinking in the right direction.

Nice work, Daniel! I'm coming to Milton to chat with a school about my charity in February. Will drop in for a coffee, a charge, and a hello!
Will have my new Tesla in 3 weeks and I'm already scouting my charge spots! Milton will be on the list for my school visit...

Hi all!

I’m Daniel – I’ve been a Model S reservation holder since November of 2012 and a Tesla driver since last Wednesday, August 7[SUP]th[/SUP]. I’ve met a few of you previously through GHEVA, and on here, of course. To those of you I haven’t met, please accept this as my formal introduction :smile:

I’m also a Tim Hortons franchisee in Milton, Ontario. My parents have been Tims franchisees in Milton since 1989 and after graduating from University 5 years ago, I was lucky enough to join them. We are very very active in our local community – we sponsor numerous sports teams, are proud ambassadors of the Tim Hortons Childrens Foundation, the Darling Home for Kids, and Good Neighbours Community Cleanup Day. We also have a LEED certified restaurant that we are very proud of. Milton is a tremendous community and we’re proud to have been here for so long. We work hard to keep it clean and to reduce waste produced by our own restaurants, and our homes.

I wanted to reach out to all of the local EV drivers and enthusiasts regarding my newest restaurant, which is set to open in early-mid September. After some discussions with our corporate side, I have been given permission to install two dedicated EV parking spots with two Sun Country CS-90amp chargers (https://suncountryhighway.ca/chargers/) in front of our restaurant. One of these chargers was kindly donated by Sun Country. (Thanks guys!) Charging will be free for guests for the foreseeable future and I will be do my best to prevent EV drivers from being ICE’d.

Our new restaurant is located at 1088 Thompson Rd S in Milton – that’s a 6-minute drive south of the 401 at James Snow Parkway. As I mentioned, we should be open in early to mid September. It’ll be very convenient for those of you driving the west corridor of the 401.

I’ve attached some photos of the site as it stands right now – please don’t hesitate to ask any questions or introduce yourself! Hope to see you all for coffee in the near future.

- Daniel

View attachment 28128View attachment 28129View attachment 28127

Your logic is sound though. Can you think of any other reason your car would only charge at 48 amps on a CS-90?

Not really. I've used a number of public chargers of various capacities and my car always charges at 80% of the chargers rated capacity (+/- 1 amp or so). I recently charged at the Milton Best Western's CS-90 and was seeing 71 to 72 amps in the car. Maybe one is a 60 and the other is a 90??? As I say, I didn't look at the nameplates.

The spots are right up front next to the handicap spots, are not marked and were ICE'd. The guy sitting in his car moved for me, but I felt I was getting the stink eye from some other customers nearby, so didn't want to hang around. I get that people who want to run in for a quick coffee like to park near the door, but I also get that it costs a lot more in wiring costs to put these things further out in the parking lot. I anticipate the same problem at my office when I install the 2 CS-100's that are currently sitting in my warehouse. They're going in what are arguably "preferred" spots in our employee lot near the entrance. Currently, these are the first spots to fill up in the morning, but it would just cost too much to move the chargers further out in the lot.

Now that I know they're open, and I often stop in Milton for a coffee, I'll be back and can give a more thorough examination!

Hi Everyone! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you regarding the chargers at my location. We opened on November 17th and life has been quite hectic since then. I've worked 29 days straight now - the only thing keeping me running is Tim's coffee.

As stated above, we have 2 x 60amp SCH units. I didn't end up going with 90amps because I'm on a 600amp service and my projected sales mix is calling for quite a bit more equipment than I initially accounted for. Simply put, I went with 2 x 60 amp chargers because I need greater flexibility with my equipment on the operational side of the business.

Right now, I have the 2 chargers operational but the spots are unmarked. I have a contractor coming in tomorrow (if he shows up...) to paint the two EV spots with a cool EV stencil that was provided to me by Tim Horton's corporate sustainability team. I also have 2 signs from SCH that I will be putting up next to the pedestal to mark that the two spots are for EV's. I will also be placing pylons in front of each of the spots so EV drivers do not get ICE'd. If you want to charge in the spot, simply roll up, put the pylon to the side, and roll in!

Right now, the spots are being used for guests to pull in and out of because they aren't marked - I would have liked to have had this done earlier but I'm not that great of a painter myself :)

Let me know if you guys have any questions - I'm doing my best to educate our guests on EV's and I've had quite a few people pop in who want to put in similar setups at their places of employment.

Right now, I have the 2 chargers operational but the spots are unmarked. I have a contractor coming in tomorrow (if he shows up...) to paint the two EV spots with a cool EV stencil that was provided to me by Tim Horton's corporate sustainability team. I also have 2 signs from SCH that I will be putting up next to the pedestal to mark that the two spots are for EV's. I will also be placing pylons in front of each of the spots so EV drivers do not get ICE'd. If you want to charge in the spot, simply roll up, put the pylon to the side, and roll in!

Great work!

Would you mind sharing your signage and stencils with others doing similar projects?

Great work!

Would you mind sharing your signage and stencils with others doing similar projects?

Absolutely! Once I've got each of these items completed, I'll post photos of my setup so others can reference it. Great idea.

As for my stencil, it was provided to me by our corporate team (and I do have to return it) but I can provide photos and dimensions to anyone who requests them.