Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tim Hortons Electric Vehicle Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Tim Hortons announces electric vehicle charging station pilot in Canada

Electric vehicle owners in Oakville, ON are now able to charge their cars while enjoying a Tim Hortons coffee. Canada's largest restaurant chain installed its first electric vehicle charging stations as part of a new pilot project.

Charging stations are now available for guest use, free of charge, at Tim Hortons located at 228 Wyecroft Road in Oakville and for use by corporate employees at head office, in an effort to study the technology, its usage and opportunities.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately the The Lang And O'Leary Exchange on CBC just did a real hit piece on this. It was so bad I wrote them a rebuttal.

Picked up my S yesterday and am having a blast. Hanging out at Tim's in Oakville. Apparently the Volt and my S were the first electrics to use the chargepoint chargers and we happened to arrive at the same time.
IMG_3545_1024.jpg

Last edited:
very cool - at what amperage were you able to charge?

Something like 24A if I can make a guess, given its a 30A charger. It would be more beneficial for long distance travel to have 80A. However, the profit on a couple coffees and a donut may not cover them giving away that amount of electricity. I would be willing to pay for my electricity at the going rate if I could stop at a Tim's and fill/Top up in a reasonable amount of time. Superchargers would be the best of course.

I would imagine the choice of 30A chargers was Tim's trying to serve the largest market with the least investment. AFAIK only Teslas can take full advantage of 80A chargers. Never mind that it makes having a station on-site a lot less useful. How much charge can you get with a 30A charger on a 20 minute coffee run? 15, 20 miles at most? Kind of like pulling up to the pump and telling the attendant you want three dollars worth.

Last edited:
Something like 24A if I can make a guess, given its a 30A charger. It would be more beneficial for long distance travel to have 80A. However, the profit on a couple coffees and a donut may not cover them giving away that amount of electricity. I would be willing to pay for my electricity at the going rate if I could stop at a Tim's and fill/Top up in a reasonable amount of time. Superchargers would be the best of course.

The slow chargers might only attract the retired Tesla owner who can sit half a day enjoying a coffee. :) Oh well, a step in the right direction is better than nothing.

Great news: Tim Horton's is expanding the electric vehicle charging station rollout due to it surpassing their expectations! I have been to the Oakville one many times to charge. Now BC gets some. See below:

Tim Hortons expands electric vehicle charging station pilot

Partners with Plug In BC to install six new stations along the West Coast

OAKVILLE, ON, May 30, 2013 /CNW/ - For electric vehicle owners in British Columbia, Tim Hortons is now fueling road trips in more ways than one. The company has announced the expansion of their electric vehicle charging station pilot launched earlier this year in Oakville, ON, by unveiling six new charging stations at restaurants throughout B.C.

Tim Hortons announced the pilot in February in an effort to study the technology, its usage and opportunities.

"We have been thrilled with the results of the pilot so far. Usage of the charging station in Oakville has surpassed our expectations and we received many calls with requests to expand the pilot," said Paulo Ferreira, Senior Director, International Strategic Restaurant Design and Building Standards, Tim Hortons. "With more than 3,300 eligible restaurants across the country, we continue to look for opportunities to expand the pilot and contribute to the EV infrastructure."

The BC expansion, supported by the Province of BC's Community Charging Infrastructure Fund and Koben Systems Inc. (KSI), placed charging stations strategically in Nanaimo, Langford, North Vancouver , Burnaby, Abbotsford and Coquitlam to create paths within the province, allowing guests to travel from restaurant to restaurant strictly on electric power.

Tim Hortons offers charging stations as a courtesy to guests, at the following restaurant locations:

1812 Bowen Road, Nanaimo, BC
845 Goldstream Ave, Langford, BC
1384 Main Street, North Vancouver , BC
6641 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC
1861 Sumas Way, Abbotsford, BC
1450 United Blvd, Coquitlam, BC

Tim Hortons Inc. Overview

Tim Hortons is one of the largest publicly-traded restaurant chains in North America based on market capitalization, and the largest in Canada . Operating in the quick service segment of the restaurant industry, Tim Hortons appeals to a broad range of consumer tastes, with a menu that includes premium coffee, espresso-based hot and cold specialty drinks, including lattes, cappuccinos and espresso shots, specialty teas and fruit smoothies, home-style soups, fresh Panini and classic sandwiches, wraps, hot breakfast sandwiches and fresh baked goods, including our trademark donuts. As of March 31 st, 2013, Tim Hortons had 4,288 system-wide restaurants, including 3,453 in Canada , 808 in the United States and 27 in the Gulf Cooperation Council. More information about the Company is available at Welcome to Tim Hortons.

SOURCE: Tim Hortons

Great news... I remember when Tim Horton's opened up in NYC when I was living there, a big deal for those that love their coffee (me included), became some real competition for the Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts junkies - now they've got several locations in the big apple:
http://www.timhortons.com/us/en/about/nyc.html

And, they're all over the U.S. (happy to see they're in Fl too), just hoping they expand this innovative charging program throughout all locations soon, great concept:
http://www.timhortons.com/us/en/about/3601.html

Was surprised when I read about first McDonalds to be doing this too:
McDonalds to offer ChargePoint electric vehicle charging stations