Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time Based Control Error; Battery discharges during OFF-Peak Time to support EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Listings
My Tesla Energy Gateway is now on version 23.4.2. And I just noticed that it's not executing Time Based Control like it used to.

Previously, my batteries would only discharge from 3pm to midnight every day. This is because those times are the EV2-A shoulder or peak times, where energy costs more from the utility. I don't use "self powered" mode, I have exclusively used "time based control." Since the off-peak pricing was the cheapest, the time based control knew to use the grid as much as possible during off-peak. Solar generation would be prioritized to be stored in the batteries instead of being used in the home.

But now, the Powerwalls will still discharge during that 3pm to midnight window, but then they'll also discharge again after midnight if I'm charging an EV. You can see in the screenshots below, I have two Teslas... one scheduled to charge starting 1:00am and the other at 1:30am. When the EV charging started, the home's total consumption rose to 16 kW (67A @ 240).

Only 10 kW was coming from the grid, and the Powerwalls discharged at 6 kW.

The problem is this battery discharge rapidly dropped the SoC well below the 30% backup/reserve cutoff I had specified. You can see the "dark green" base layer on the Powerwall SOC chart. That dark band is supposed to be the reserve. I don't know what is causing this, but Tesla seems to indicate things are working normally? So what else can I try to do (besides not charging an EV).

1682978336304.png

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
That's really odd behavior especially with it ignoring your reserve level. It's almost like there is a screwed up PCS setting so they gateway doesn't think you can pull more than 10 kW from the grid and supplements with the powerwall to limit the grid pull to 10 kW.

Rep on the phone doesn't believe this issue is caused by the firmware update. He said that started rolling out on April 24, but my system actually was starting to discharge the ESS when the home demand > 10 kW even back on April 20. I just didn't notice it dust my reserve until the event 2 days ago.

I also have the problem that I can't actually get my home to use over 10 kW without an EV charging as a continuous load. The last time I had to do that stupid grid "smoke/shakedown" test for PG&E I had to turn on every home load and boiled many pots of water. Wife was super pissed and the idiocy lol. So I'm not doing that again.

I can't tell if the Gen 3 EVSE's are somehow interacting with my system. I think this is unlikely, but is something I cannot remove as a possibility at this time.

Reactions: jgleigh