Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to Put on the (Ugly) Stickers in CA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the red stickers but did not stick them on my MS on the theory that every Tesla qualifies for solo carpool lane access so why would I need to “prove” it? But now that this will no longer be the case I guess I need to put them on. I use the lane almost every work day and of course most important thing is I am grateful that I still have access.

Anyone in similar situation?

223,654 solo drivers to lose California carpool stickers

I would not suggest being cavalier about "driving an EV entitles you to drive in the carpool lane" without the stickers. California requires you to apply for the stickers and pay a $22 fee, which is now good through January 1, 2022. I am not sure a cop or a judge would truly care that you have an EV but they would care that you decided you don't have the pay the fee and display the stickers that the law requires and hit you with the close to $500 violation fee.

Reactions: cwerdna
If you had valid stickers and the certificate to prove they are valid for your car, it doesn't matter whether the car is electric, hybrid, or you got the stickers in a lottery.
I also think they're ugly and I had to remove mine once. But hey why do you think you would have to remove them? Maybe 3-4 years from now... Or if you qualify for newer stickers just stick them over the ugly marks left from your current stickers (what I did).

If you had valid stickers and the certificate to prove they are valid for your car, it doesn't matter whether the car is electric, hybrid, or you got the stickers in a lottery.
I also think they're ugly and I had to remove mine once. But hey why do you think you would have to remove them? Maybe 3-4 years from now... Or if you qualify for newer stickers just stick them over the ugly marks left from your current stickers (what I did).

i relocate every several years for work so for me, i'd get rid of them the moment they're out of use ;)

I didn't put all of them on (just the rear one) since the red ones were supposed to expire in January, and we don't use the carpool lanes much. So were going to wait for the new ones - but since the red ones are now valid for three more years, will probably put them all on.

does the stickers have to go on the bumper? im getting clear bra, im looking for solutions that won't leave a perm mark :D

Yes, both bumpers.
I'm an outlaw. I only did the rear.
And I like how the red decals go with my red calipers!

Oh, and when you put them on, don't embarrass us. Make sure you put them on straight and even, not crooked and all. :)

Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 10.30.51 PM.png

Last edited:
Yes, both bumpers.
I'm an outlaw. I only did the rear.
And I like how the red decals go with my red calipers!

Oh, and when you put them on, don't embarrass us. Make sure you put them on straight and even, not crooked and all. :)

Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

View attachment 334832

For those who only put on the “rear”: Does this mean you put just the small decal on the rear bumper or did you also put the 2 larger decals on the rear quarter panels? Meaning did you put on 1 sticker or 3?