Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to trade in the ‘16 S for something newer…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my ‘16 S from Tesla in February 2020 and it was a great experience. Car was in Georgia, I’m in Maryland. I decided to fly down and drive it back and it was absolutely the best way to get used to the car!
now I’m eying some of these 2020 models and am wondering if I should trade my S in or sell it privately.
I’m not overly confident that Tesla will give me much for it but how much more do you think I could get selling it privately?
Also, Tesla’s warranty on their used cars blows now so I’m thinking it might make sense to buy elsewhere.
Any caveats to keep in mind?
Thanks in advance!

I bought my ‘16 S from Tesla in February 2020 and it was a great experience. Car was in Georgia, I’m in Maryland. I decided to fly down and drive it back and it was absolutely the best way to get used to the car!
now I’m eying some of these 2020 models and am wondering if I should trade my S in or sell it privately.
I’m not overly confident that Tesla will give me much for it but how much more do you think I could get selling it privately?
Also, Tesla’s warranty on their used cars blows now so I’m thinking it might make sense to buy elsewhere.
Any caveats to keep in mind?
Thanks in advance!
Have you checked KBB? I think it's roughly around $40K. You can even check their instant cash offer and start there. I personally just used KBB's instant offer this past weekend after always selling my used cars privately and probably won't look back unless the car is really dated and/or I am leaving a lot on the table for the ease of transaction.

Have you checked KBB? I think it's roughly around $40K. You can even check their instant cash offer and start there. I personally just used KBB's instant offer this past weekend after always selling my used cars privately and probably won't look back unless the car is really dated and/or I am leaving a lot on the table for the ease of transaction.
Interesting. I'll give it a shot

2019 100D

Your Model S build details​

• 100D Long Range All-Wheel Drive
  • Solid Black Paint
  • Sunroof
  • 19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Figured Ash Wood Décor
  • Dark Headliner
  • Enhanced Autopilot
  • Premium Upgrades Package