Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint or Shade for the roof ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting my Y in 2 weeks. What do you guys suggest, a tint or a shade for the roof ? I felt, tint will look much more elegant vs a shade and won't have to worry about it sagging with time or accumulating dust.
Inputs plz... pros and cons for both, who did this before.

Getting my Y in 2 weeks. What do you guys suggest, a tint or a shade for the roof ? I felt, tint will look much more elegant vs a shade and won't have to worry about it sagging with time or accumulating dust.
Inputs plz... pros and cons for both, who did this before.

Same situation as you, waiting for delivery. What I have learned here is that most if not all tint shops do not carry tint in large enough rolls to do the roof as a seamless single piece, so they will not do it. Some give an excuse (BS) about the roof breaking from heat load if you tint it but the real reason is not being able to do it as a single piece. I think that some windshields would be as tall as the glass roof is wide, but people don't get dark tint on the windshield... perhaps a shop has 80% that you could convince them to put on the roof?

Keith

Tesla already tinted the roof super dark. About 5% light transmission. Not only that, the roof is layered in three pieces, a thick dark plastic sandwiched between two glass pieces. You can see the difference from the back window in the pic below. It’s one of the few pieces of laminated glass our dear patron Saint Gobain (of auto glass) blessed our cars with.

Any tint added to the roof will not help much to what’s already there.

Clip in sun shades would help, but of course blocks the nice view.

the biggest contributors to interior heat, are the windshield and front side windows. Those three have absolutely no heat blocking whatsoever and should be tinted, with any kind of tint. Even 70 would help dramatically on those.

Attachments

• 9BAB1F74-365A-4D2C-9539-D15793B3DC45.jpeg
    9BAB1F74-365A-4D2C-9539-D15793B3DC45.jpeg
    445.7 KB · Views: 503
  • 7DB950E6-AB76-4CC5-A1DD-7BCB557B0204.jpeg
    7DB950E6-AB76-4CC5-A1DD-7BCB557B0204.jpeg
    590.9 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jpfive and dino007
Personally, I will put 90% on the rear windows for heat rejection (my understanding is they are dark, but not heat blocking) and have the front side windows made dark enough to match the rear side windows, and do the windshield 70% or 80%. I don't think (correct me if wrong) the rear hatch is dark tinted, if not it will be darkness matched to the rest of the glass, if it is dark, it will get the 90% for heat rejection.

Keith

I added the news tech Nano Ceramic from Xpel to the front side windows and it is amazing heat shield even with only 88% heat block, 98% UV block. There is an Xpel Nano Ceramic Plus which raises the heat shield to 99% block. These are available in different visible light block. But to be legal the front sides and windshield has to be 70% transmission. It works so well I'm considering going back and adding it to the windshield.

Unlike my 2020 MS, which had no factory tinting, I had it added to my entire glass. The Y really doesn't need any additional except the front side and windshield.

When parked outside, I still like to use the windshield foldable reflector.