Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint shop scratched my window chrome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I didn't know his was a thing before it happened to me today on my two day old Model 3:

It really sucks. I understand accidents happens. Tint guy was surprised it happened and didn't notice before I pointed it out. Tesla quoted me $264 for one to be replaced. It happened on both sides.

So I want to get chrome delete done anyway which will cover it (we tested with a small piece) but it bothers me that it happened on my new car. The same guy does chrome delete. I'm thinking asking him to cover the full chrome delete installation and if there any issues with it going forward. I doubt he'll just cover the repairs flat out. He's done 2 other cars of mine without problems and he's done great.

Thoughts on how to handle this is appreciated! Pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_20190625_163737.jpg
    IMG_20190625_163737.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_20190625_163720.jpg
    IMG_20190625_163720.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 232
So I didn't know his was a thing before it happened to me today on my two day old Model 3.

It really sucks. I understand accidents happens. Tint guy was surprised it happened and didn't notice before I pointed it out. Tesla quoted me $264 for one to be replaced. It happened on both sides.

So I want to get chrome delete done anyway which will cover it (we tested with a small piece) but it bothers me that it happened on my new car. The same guy does chrome delete. I'm thinking asking him to cover the full chrome delete installation and if there any issues with it going forward. I doubt he'll just cover the repairs flat out. He's done 2 other cars of mine without problems and he's done great.

Thoughts on how to handle this is appreciated! Pictures below.

Show them yourself how to trick the window motor to have the window all the way up with the door open.

1. Open the door and snap the latch closed with a screwdriver. Window goes all the way up. Tint window. Open the latch BEFORE closing the door and window goes back down a bit to the safe close position.

2. Not everyone knows this but you can do the same thing by opening the door and then remove the puddle light. Window goes all the way up. Tint window. Reinstall the puddle light and the window goes back down a bit to the safe close position.

Reactions: LandToSea
Sweet - you got a picture? :) You did it yourself? I always wonder how the mirror is done. Seems difficult!

I had the chrome delete installed at the same time as the Xpel ppf and Xpel window tint was being installed. The lower and upper window trim for the doors is easy to remove, if you wanted to wrap them not on the car. The chrome delete for the triangle rear window trim (the window often smashed in California) was done in one piece. The mirror is at least two pieces though.

The color is satin black. The matte black looked like it would show more scratches or scuffs. The back of the door handles were also wrapped in the hopes they will be cooler in the summer. I'm about 80 miles from San Francisco. When they are in the high 50s F, Sacramento can be 108 F.....

WHBQrOsbTjuvi52pvBMgCA.jpg

I had this happen. Mine was the first M3 the shop had tinted and they claimed that the window automatically rolled back up after the door was open for a while. Either way they said they'd work with Tesla to get it repaired at their cost. After talking with Tesla about what happened, Tesla just went ahead and replaced it for free themselves. If Tesla's not willing to do that here, I'd have made the tint shop pay for it. Their responsibility to fix the damage they cause.