Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting front windshield: 50% or 70%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 50% and love it. I have 18% on the other windows and it's great. Great look, great heat rejection, great privacy.

I wanted 70%, but my tinter only had 50% and he did that. I'm happy with it. Night driving isn't bad at all.

68F2B3CC-6A85-4871-B430-AC8C0154EC2A.jpeg 38A4503E-83DA-46D8-86FD-5FAEBDD9DC28.jpeg 49F79009-3E6F-4D8E-B931-3F79DC7BAD7C.jpeg

Tinting the front windshield is great for appearance, UV rejection, and glare reduction in daytime. However, even running 80% means you are reducing light transmission by 20% and while fine most of the time it's not ideal in dark environments with poor lighting. Since it's illegal in most, if not all, jurisdictions I wonder what an insurance company would do if you got into an accident in poor lighting and they knew you had this tint that is not legal? In my books it's not worth the risk but risk always depends on individual tolerance.

Tinting the front windshield is great for appearance, UV rejection, and glare reduction in daytime. However, even running 80% means you are reducing light transmission by 20% and while fine most of the time it's not ideal in dark environments with poor lighting. Since it's illegal in most, if not all, jurisdictions I wonder what an insurance company would do if you got into an accident in poor lighting and they knew you had this tint that is not legal? In my books it's not worth the risk but risk always depends on individual tolerance.
Good analysis and advice, for Vancouver. In So. Cal., my 80% is a godsend, and I can’t detect any loss of visibility, never have. I am not denying the physics, just giving my faulty human perception.

I generally agree, but there are some older people (60+) with poorer eyesight and darker tints make it really very difficult to see at night. They will be fine with 70 or 80 to reduce heat, UV and glare.
Understandable, I mistakenly did 70 on my last car (50 on the CTR before that) and I was quite disappointed. So I made sure to do 50 on the M3LR again. I’ll get pictures for reference

did 55 front with 15 all the way around. honestly have no issue seeing out at all at night. with the matrix headlights I see better on this 22 model 3 then I did on my last car with no front tint at all. hats off to Tesla for them headlights