Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint Advise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Tracy California with a Model Y 2023.

Local tint shop gave me following prices with xpel film for tint:

===

1. Front two windows, rear windows & rear windshield
  • Option A: $604.99 Ceramic in 88% Heat Rejection
  • Option B: $989.99 Ceramic in 98% Heat Rejection

2. One XL Sunroof

• Option B: $549.99 Ceramic with 98% Heat Rejection

3. Front Windshield

• Option A: $384.99 Ceramic with 88% Heat Rejection
  • Option B: $494.99 Ceramic with 98% Heat Rejection
===

Please help me with following queries:

1. Does Tesla come with any factory tint? If i tint extra over the factory tint, is that an issue?
2. The tint shop said, its not common for tesla owner to get the roof tinted. Why is that so? Do people just put shades for sun roof in summer months?
3. Is windshield recommended to have a tint? I would imagine it would obstruct visibility.
4. Is 88% recommended heat rejection or should i invest in 98%?
5. What are California's legal limits for tinting? I don't want to be pulled over by cops & keep it safe.

The glass roof has factory tint; treated to reject UV and IR (heat radiation). That along with the cost is why few choose to add tint to the roof. An interior sunshade is an inexpensive way to further shield the interior of the Tesla Model Y from the rays of the sun, These start at around $50; one piece and two piece sunshade are common. A retractable model is available at higher cost

The windshield does not have a factory tint; adding a good ceramic tint film to the windshield will make a big difference in keeping the interior cool.

The rear side windows and rear hatch glass have factory tint but do not reject IR (heat radiation). Each state DOT/DMV regulates how dark you can tint the windshield and side windows. Your installer should know the legal limits for windshield and side window tinting.

You can tint the rear hatch glass. Some have reported the glass cracking after adding a tint due to the rear window defroster heating element. (Tesla sells a sun shade for the rear glass that is helpful for the 7 seat Model Y or if you carry pets.

The TMC Model Y Interior/Exterior forum has many threads on tinting.

• Informative
Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
I'll start by saying that I live in So Cal, so my experience with police will be different than yours.

I have added tint to all of the glass in my Model Y. I went with the 98% nano ceramic tint. I went with 15% on the front two windows, 50% on the rear windows, 50% on the roof glass and 80% on the windshield. You really can't tell the windshield is tinted with 80% film.

Having said that, in California, it is illegal to have any tint on the front windows and windshield without a medical exemption. But take a look around next time you are out driving. In So Cal, it seems every other car on the road has really dark tint on all windows, including the windshield. If you are worried about being pulled over for tinted windows, go with a light shade of tint. The heat rejection properties of the ceramic and nanoceramic films is pretty impressive. The shop I used told me most Teslas they tint include the glass roof. May be a So Cal thing...

The rear windows and the roof have privacy glass from the factory. I don't know if there is any UV protection or IR rejection properties in the windows though. I believe the front windows have UV blocking film inside.

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe
I live in SF bay area and I just tinted the two front side windows at 20% to cosmetically match the rest of the car. Since the Y is an "suv" the rear windows are pre-tinted at the factory, just like all other SUVs.
The rear windows are not tinted, they have dyed glass. It offers some privacy protection, but no UV or heat rejection properties.

The front windshield, front side windows and rear side windows are made with safety glass. (Not sure about the rear hatch glass.) Safety glass is manufactured with a thin layer of plastic sandwiched between the two sheets of glass. The plastic layer provides some UV protection. A tinting film would provide additional protection from UV. A ceramic tint film can filter IR (infrared) radiation.

• Informative
Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
The rear sides have some level of UV protection but minimal heat rejection...If tinting is just for looks just do the fronts.

The roof glass has shown to already have very good heat rejection and some places have refused to do the roof because of the risk of cracking. Like the model 3 rear glass, the Model Y roof glass has potential for the same problems....It is expensive to do and not needed...

Fronts and windshield...CA doesn't allow you to do these so you can do a clear type or a darker type....So many cars have tint in the front and a good number have them on the windshield so the risks are pretty low.

There are fairly clear windshield tints...although a 70% will probably be fine....Any type of ceramic tint will give off some rainbows with polarized glasses...some people say they don't but they do..

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Thank you everybody. i have enough ammo to get this done now. Any clue on prices?
Assuming your'e going with Xpel prime plus (the 98% rejection) it seems like a reasonable price for the bay area if you're giong to a reputable, higher end shop. I did mine for ~$1K or something many many years back and checked in recently and the price is up to $1300 as of last year. I'm sure it's more now... you could try to haggle $100-$200 off just to give it a shot though