Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire & ground clearance on LR vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First question, what tires come from the factory for the 19 inch Gemini wheels (LR Model Y) and what ones come with the 21 inch Uberturbine wheels (Performance Y)?

Next, the web site mentions the Performance has lower suspension, but the manual only offers one ground clearance number... does anyone know how much lower the Performance is?

First question, what tires come from the factory for the 19 inch Gemini wheels (LR Model Y) and what ones come with the 21 inch Uberturbine wheels (Performance Y)?

Next, the web site mentions the Performance has lower suspension, but the manual only offers one ground clearance number... does anyone know how much lower the Performance is?

the 19s are coming out 255/45 on Continental Procontacts. & the 21s are with the Pirelli P-Zero that are offset as part of the performance package.

the 19s are coming out 255/45 on Continental Procontacts. & the 21s are with the Pirelli P-Zero that are offset as part of the performance package.

Do you know if there is any issue with switching the Performance to a matched or square setup instead of the different front/rear sizes? (Assuming the wheels fit over the brakes and mount on the hub correctly.... would there be suspension issues with a square setup?)

Do you know if there is any issue with switching the Performance to a matched or square setup instead of the different front/rear sizes? (Assuming the wheels fit over the brakes and mount on the hub correctly.... would there be suspension issues with a square setup?)

I'm sure it can be done. The question is whether or not if the uberturbines are the same size as the front and the rear. The 21" wheels are spec'd-
2020 TESLA MODEL Y PERFORMANCE UPGRADE:
Front: 21" 255/35 (89mm sidewall, 711mm diameter)
Rear: 21" 275/35 (97mm sidewall, 726mm diameter)

If the rims are the same, you'd just need new tires and you're good to roll, but from how it generally is, you'll probably just need a new tire/rim package, either you or a tire dealer balance you out and adjust the computer settings in the car to account for the new setup.

I'm sure it can be done. The question is whether or not if the uberturbines are the same size as the front and the rear. The 21" wheels are spec'd-
2020 TESLA MODEL Y PERFORMANCE UPGRADE:
Front: 21" 255/35 (89mm sidewall, 711mm diameter)
Rear: 21" 275/35 (97mm sidewall, 726mm diameter)

If the rims are the same, you'd just need new tires and you're good to roll, but from how it generally is, you'll probably just need a new tire/rim package, either you or a tire dealer balance you out and adjust the computer settings in the car to account for the new setup.

I would swap down to standard 20" Tesla sizes (though probably 3rd party wheels that match the Tesla specs but are much lighter). That would give a little extra side wall compared to the 21s but also keep the larger wheel size which seems to have an efficiency edge due to longer gearing compared to the 19s?

I just wasn't sure if the suspension setup was different on the Performance car compared to the LR model... I have no idea if they need to compensate for the staggered tire size with suspension adjustments...

I would swap down to standard 20" Tesla sizes (though probably 3rd party wheels that match the Tesla specs but are much lighter). That would give a little extra side wall compared to the 21s but also keep the larger wheel size which seems to have an efficiency edge due to longer gearing compared to the 19s?

I just wasn't sure if the suspension setup was different on the Performance car compared to the LR model... I have no idea if they need to compensate for the staggered tire size with suspension adjustments...

The suspension is lowered, probably with better springs vs. LR. And since it all comes at one package, its probably tuned that way. I would try and sleuth at folks here who have the performance model and swapped out the stock rims for others.

The suspension is lowered, probably with better springs vs. LR. And since it all comes at one package, its probably tuned that way. I would try and sleuth at folks here who have the performance model and swapped out the stock rims for others.

Do you happen to know if Stealths ever show up any more? I know there are a handful of Stealth Performance Model 3s that still randomly show up in inventory....

The 20s and 19s are the same overall diameter, and the 19s have better range.

The 20s and 19s are the same overall diameter, and the 19s have better range.
Interesting about the overall diameter....

I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos of range testing, and some of them actually have decent methodology. They’ll get a buddy with another Model Y and both drive the same route at the same speed with AP on (usually 70-80mph tests) for a fairly long distance (100+ miles, but some basically go to empty actually and take it down to like 5% or less battery). They also try to stay five or six car lengths behind other people (and each other) and even further behind trucks. It’s not a perfect controlled test, but should be fairly comparable between the two cars and long enough to smooth out any small anomalies...

What I’ve started to notice is the 20s seem to get very slightly better range... maybe 3 to 5% better. They all seem genuinely confused and surprised in the videos and either Car and Driver or motortrend or someone also mentioned that they saw just as good or better range with the 20s. They made a mention it was because it acted like longer gearing or something and was favoring to the Tesla but didn’t go into detail on that...

Interesting about the overall diameter....

I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos of range testing, and some of them actually have decent methodology. They’ll get a buddy with another Model Y and both drive the same route at the same speed with AP on (usually 70-80mph tests) for a fairly long distance (100+ miles, but some basically go to empty actually and take it down to like 5% or less battery). They also try to stay five or six car lengths behind other people (and each other) and even further behind trucks. It’s not a perfect controlled test, but should be fairly comparable between the two cars and long enough to smooth out any small anomalies...

What I’ve started to notice is the 20s seem to get very slightly better range... maybe 3 to 5% better. They all seem genuinely confused and surprised in the videos and either Car and Driver or motortrend or someone also mentioned that they saw just as good or better range with the 20s. They made a mention it was because it acted like longer gearing or something and was favoring to the Tesla but didn’t go into detail on that...

Got a link to that video? I'd love to check it out.

No issue. I’m running a square setup. 20x9 on OEM tire sizes. In fact I received software update for 316 rated mile range on my performance now that I’m on 20s.
01C37845-6DF0-4D1A-90FC-4797B9E94AB9.jpeg
E4DFECDF-3631-4D10-8983-B55CFAFF41B6.jpeg
FCC1878A-FC2F-4E0B-9963-1E34EAD82475.jpeg
0EE81EDF-798D-401A-A8B5-06B0C4C71D37.jpeg

Reactions: DanDi58
Anyone with a Performance with the Uberturbines able to go measure ground clearance real fast? :p

These pictures were from mid-March, soon after delivery. Just project a straight line from the tape - you get some close enough measurement for ground clearance.

I have a 2018 AWD Model 3 that is parked next to the Y in our garage...there's not a whole lot of difference in ground clearance, maybe an inch or so higher than the MYPUP.
20200317_141459.jpg
20200317_141535.jpg

These pictures were from mid-March, soon after delivery. Just project a straight line from the tape - you get some close enough measurement for ground clearance.

I have a 2018 AWD Model 3 that is parked next to the Y in our garage...there's not a whole lot of difference in ground clearance, maybe an inch or so higher than the MYPUP.View attachment 580759 View attachment 580760

Interesting. The Y should only have about 1 to 1.5 inch extra ground clearance compared to the 3 to start with from what the manual says, and it only lists one height for the Y (so I assume a single number for both the LR and Performance version). However, on the Tesla order page it mentions lowered suspension... I wonder if it’s just stiffer and “sport tuned” but not actually lower...