Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire load for squared up X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been looking at putting the 20x9 wheel all the way around on my 2022 X. Went over to a tire store and they told me that they did not have any tires that would meet the weight ratings if we put the narrower wheel on the back. They said that it requires a 110 and the highest they could find was a 108. They also said that they would not install this and that I would have to find another store to do it. I'm curious what everyone else has done. I see that if I go down to a 19-in wheel I can do it but is there a way to keep the twenties and only have to replace the back wheels in order to do what I'm trying to do. I don't want to buy a pair of the smaller wheel only to find out that I really need to buy four new 19-in wheels.

Sounds like you need to buy 4 new tires by going to a different size (larger or wider) than what you have on the front. Maybe you can wait until you need new tires and go for it then.

Several PY owners have moved their rear tires to the front rims and put a larger tire on the rear. This way they have wider tires, less chance of curb rash and a softer ride due to more rubber between the rim and the road. I'm not saying you need go staggered, just that the bigger tire gives you some advantages, but I suspect at the loss of a little range due to a heavier tire.

Sounds like you need to buy 4 new tires by going to a different size (larger or wider) than what you have on the front. Maybe you can wait until you need new tires and go for it then.

Several PY owners have moved their rear tires to the front rims and put a larger tire on the rear. This way they have wider tires, less chance of curb rash and a softer ride due to more rubber between the rim and the road. I'm not saying you need go staggered, just that the bigger tire gives you some advantages, but I suspect at the loss of a little range due to a heavier tire.
Thanks! Everything I have read says the 275s won't fit on the front without rubbing. I'd go that route if it worked.

I'd go for the next larger size, maybe a lower profile so a similar height, would work front and rear. I'm surprised that your tire store couldn't recommend something.

FWIW, I'd prefer a square setup for winter tires.

Try these other threads that Google recommended.

• Helpful
Reactions: NJturtlePower
I'd go for the next larger size, maybe a lower profile so a similar height, would work front and rear. I'm surprised that your tire store couldn't recommend something.

FWIW, I'd prefer a square setup for winter tires.

Try these other threads that Google recommended.

I think I've read most of the posts about this setup. But I've seen very little conversation about the load recommendations of the tire. Most of the tires I've seen listed have not met the Tesla recommended load requirements. So really looking for some inside about tire choices that either meet the requirement or reasons why that's unimportant.

Reactions: towndrunk
Here is my thought process on this:
- I'm pretty sure that the larger tire load requirements for the rear tires are only due to towing.
- I don't tow anything, and my 2016 X P90D doesn't even have the towing enabled.

So therefore I can sell my 2 rear wheels (which are wider than the front wheels), purchase 2 more front wheels, and install a square setup of 20x9 inch wheels with 255 width or 265 width OEM tires on all 4 wheels.