Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X Plaid-Square set up for replacement tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just crossed 21000 miles on my 2022 X Plaid with OEM 22" Continental SportContact 6 tires (265 width front/285 width rear) which are pretty much shot. I am leaning towards the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus but am also considering Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. Both have almost the same treadwear rating at 560 vs 540. I am welcome to any opinions about either tire but mainly wondering if I can move to a square setup so that I am able to rotate these tires and maximize treadwear.

If square setup works, do I go 265 width all around? Pro's and con's of this setup? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
You are worried about symmetric tire wear on a plaid? You got 20k+ miles. Time for a new set. I’m 7500 into my set and will be happy to get 20k. That’s the warranty rating for a staggered setup. Lots of threads on tires. Would be interesting to see if anyone has put an alignment kit on a plaid.
Price has dropped since I last looked and it’s now tempting for me to have installed on my ‘16 p100

PS4 is a good tire but don’t expect more mileage out of it. Running at or near max inflation pressures probably is helps some on tread life.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
The current OEM tires wore evenly and I understand that 20K+ miles on them is acceptable considering they are an ultra high performance tire. However, I am in the NE and would rather have all weather tires so I was just considering a square setup for the ability to rotate them regularly.

I think I am just gonna keep the staggered setup but try the Conti's this time around. Thanks for the input.

The current OEM tires wore evenly and I understand that 20K+ miles on them is acceptable considering they are an ultra high performance tire. However, I am in the NE and would rather have all weather tires so I was just considering a square setup for the ability to rotate them regularly.

I think I am just gonna keep the staggered setup but try the Conti's this time around. Thanks for the input.
I put Michelin cross climates on mine (the SUV flavor as that’s what I could get last year). I’m happy so far. It’s a noisy tire. Not super efficient but I get EPA mileage at 46 psi. I got them for the wet traction but if I did not put a snow tire on I’d probably chose them again if I lived where it snowed. It’s not a performance tire. But I don’t take it out of sport mode but once a month.

You can go with a square setup (you'll have to replace the rear wheels with the 9" wide ones.
You will sacrifice some traction both straight line and cornering. There's a chance that on not so perfect asphalt that you might engage traction control which would kill any rapid acceleration.

You are worried about symmetric tire wear on a plaid? You got 20k+ miles. Time for a new set. I’m 7500 into my set and will be happy to get 20k. That’s the warranty rating for a staggered setup. Lots of threads on tires. Would be interesting to see if anyone has put an alignment kit on a plaid.
Price has dropped since I last looked and it’s now tempting for me to have installed on my ‘16 p100

PS4 is a good tire but don’t expect more mileage out of it. Running at or near max inflation pressures probably is helps some on tread life.
Will be getting them installed (in the next 2 weeks) locally at EVFIXME in Newport Beach. My car never exhibited shudder, but definitely had premature tire wear, which resulted in my first set being replaced at 14k miles. I'll post again if I notice any difference in ride quality and update on the forum at a later date based on tire wear.

Reactions: EbS-P
I have a custom setup on my model s performance P100DL with 20 inch wheels

I was running the Continental Sport DW on them which were extremely quiet but then don’t make that specific one anymore ( not the DWS but a summer tire DW sport)

I decided to go with the Pilot Sport 4S all season

To my surprise, the 4S all season were louder than the worn out Contis

I am returning the all season and getting the summer PS4S since I have those on my M5 and while they are not the most quiet tires I feel…… I expect them to be more quiet on the S than their all season counterparts. And they surely are 10% better on noise from a comparative rating chart I saw somewhere.

That being said, the 4S last half as much when compared to their all season counterpart

Now all the intricacies with the BMW Verson VS the Porsche ….. I gotta check what I ordered …. But just wanted to share my experience on the topic

Last edited:
1678945789659.png

not sure if you got the AS4 or not but here is a review comparing the AS4 wth the 4S