Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire particle problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's an environmentalists' argument. It may get amplified by the voices you mention, but it didn't originate there.

LINK to The Atlantic
It's the oil-paid lobbyists* who push it through multiple channels (see Daily Mail headlines below), stirring up hate & misinformation where they can. They'll play every angle they can. Cobalt, heavy cars, tyre particulates weren't widely discussed before threats to oil.

Cobalt - before EV supply chain focus, artisanal mining for fuel refining (removing sulphur)
Heavy cars - heaviest in UK all ICE
Tyre particulates - ICE wear more due to changing gears

* same people/companies that kept tobacco viable for decades, earning billions, killing millions.

1695907237504.png

It's an environmentalists' argument. It may get amplified by the voices you mention, but it didn't originate there.

LINK to The Atlantic

"Maybe" it didn't originate from oil or ICE producers.

It *IS* a problem, but it's not a uniquely EV problem. Let's look at the link again:

The title says "EVs have a tire particle problem" but the teaser line says "Heavier cars' tires". So EVs don't have a tire particles problem, heavier cars do... yet they're happy to point fingers at EVs in the title instead of pickup trucks and SUVs. It just wreaks of biased, anti-EV propaganda.

Years ago the term "fake news" started being thrown around by political candidates (note: I dislike both parties). I never thought much of it until I got my Model 3, and then started to notice many articles about EVs that were entirely untrue... even from the most mainstream news producers. It was a bit eye opening how willing they seemed to be to publish hit pieces against them.

Now, I'm a bit sensitive to the topic and thus have a low tolerance for these types of articles. They are actively turning people away from switching to EVs.

Someone might be considering an EV but does some googling and stumbles on this type of propaganda and it creates enough doubt that they just stick to what they know... ICE.

Others are seeking reasons to dislike EVs and find articles like this to reinforce their stance.

In either case, this type of hit piece is actually damaging.

A friend sent me a link to an article regarding tire particles flying off the tires because the vehicles are heavier than regular vehicles. The article says that Model Y tires produce about 26% more tire polution than regular vehicles. Not sure I believe this. Here is the link to the article he sent me

I am not getting rid of my Model Y. Heck, I just got it 6 weeks ago. What do you guys think?
It mentions "Emissions Analytics" so you can ignore the article. Their numbers were junk.

Tires are 14lb to 22lb and they say that "a single car sheds almost nine pounds of tire weight per year, on average." So that's apparently 2 1/4lb of weight lost per tire per year.

It's not that tire pollution isn't a problem, but it's not bigger than brake dust and exhaust emissions, and it's a _broad_ problem, not an EV problem.

Right-size your vehicle, maintain good tire pressures and drive smoothly.

Last edited:
It's not the political right, nor the EV haters, that are funding and pushing the PM2.5 and PM10 research and crisis story line.

*Is* a problem or "maybe" a problem? I am probably misinterpreting, as it seems you contradict yourself by saying it's a problem and then it may be a problem. Implying that we don't know for sure because special interests fund research to get specific answers (which I 100% agree with, on many topics).

The issue with PM10 and PM2.5 alarmism is that it comes from the political left. Examples: Obama Admin, EPA, Weather Channel, etc...

Source? (bolding mine)
The only "source" I can see you posted was in a previous post linking to a publication I don't know. The Atlantic - Wikipedia doesn't tell me much except it supported Biden/Democrats and was purchased by a businessman a few years ago.

People who want freedom, independence for themselves, their locality, country should want solar, wind, storage & EVs.

People who want less pollution should also prefer EVs, especially in urban environments.

It seems that the report from "Emissions Analytics" may be at the root of the... "information" - at least for some reports I've seen.

One director has some interesting previous & current positions - Eric Alliott VERDON-ROE personal appointments - Find and update company information - GOV.UK
Exhibitions, events, publishing, cars (including CHELSEA AUTOLEGENDS LTD), retail sale of newspapers

Seems EV tyre wear is less than ICE.

Do Electric Car Tyres Wear Slower than Normal Car Tyres? (they fix cars in UK, very big - at least one in every town).
Tyre wear on electric vehicles

For a start, electric cars are much heavier than regular combustion engine vehicles due to the extra technology under the bonnet. Because of their increased weight, you would think that electric car tyres wear down quicker. But you’d be wrong.

If electric cars were fitted with the same tyres as ordinary vehicles, the rates of wear would be greater — but they aren’t. Electric car tyres are built to withstand the pressure of the increased battery weight and electric car. Manufacturers improved not only the rubber compound and sidewall strength but also the tread and groove design for resilience.

As a result, they are more expensive than regular tyres but due to their strain-absorbing structure, they will wear down less quickly. In fact, according to recent studies, conventional tyres actually wear down 30% quicker than their electric vehicle counterparts.

More

or as PDF - https://resources.mynewsdesk.com/image/upload/fl_attachment/b0lywxjv5j6a399mnboy

As the tread on tyres wears down, tiny nanoparticles of rubber are cast off onto the road and into the atmosphere near ground height.

A press release by Emissions Analytics suggested that particulate matter pollution from car tyre wear can be 1,000 times higher than car exhaust emissions, and that car tyres may produce as much as 9.28 grams of particulate matter per mile, or 5.8 grams per kilometre. This is, however, a worst-case scenario – a crucial point that is not mentioned in the press release and which has consequently led to the ‘1,000 times higher than car exhaust emissions’ finding being widely reported in the media. Some common-sense calculations show how extreme this case is.

A typical 16” family car tyre weighs around 9 kg, so four of them on a vehicle gives a total weight of 36 kg. That’s not just the tread, but the full tyres. If a car did shed 9.28 grams of particulate matter per mile from the tyres, then the car tyres would physically disappear – and the car would be running on its alloys – in less than 4,000 miles.

In reality, the tread of a tyre is about 35% of the tyre’s total weight, so the tyres would be bald in less than 1,358 miles, or two months’ worth of driving for the average UK driver.

So, we now know that tyre wear is nowhere near as big a contributor to particulate matter emissions as some media coverage has suggested in the past. However, if electric vehicles are heavier than petrol or diesel cars, do they wear out their tyres faster? Firstly, modern electric vehicles aren’t actually that much heavier than many modern petrol or diesel cars, especially with the recent trend towards bigger and heavier SUVs.

15,000 electric miles without new tyres

As for the EVs on the road today, their tyre wear is nowhere near as accelerated as some naysayers suggest. James Rooney, fleet engineer at British Gas, an operator of 800 electric vans (soon to be thousands) of electric vehicles, notes that their latest electric vans – which are large, heavy vehicles with traditionally tyre-chewing front wheel drive – have done 15,000 miles and not needed tyres or brakes replaced yet (with the exception of punctures, of course).

Ryan Todd has noticed something interesting about tyre wear on his taxis. When his Nissan LEAF electric taxis are delivered to him brand new, they are typically fitted with a high quality make of tyre like Michelin. The tyres usually last between 30,000 and 36,000 miles on the rear wheels, with the fronts lasting 20,000 miles.

While it is typical for front tyres to have shorter lifespans than rear tyres, Ryan notes that his diesel taxis do tend to get an extra 5,000 to 10,000 miles of lifespan out of their front tyres. This is because the LEAF is not only front wheel drive – so the front tyres are doing the steering as well as propulsion – but has a lot more torque from its motor than a diesel car, resulting in increased wear over time. If cheaper replacement tyres are fitted to his diesel or electric taxis, their lifespan of all four tyres is typically reduced by about 5,000 miles versus the original high-quality tyres – an important lesson for any vehicle driver.

Ryan notes, however, that the 30,000 to 36,000-mile lifespan of the rear tyres on his LEAF taxis is about the same as the rear tyres on his diesel taxis, since they aren’t propelling or steering the vehicle.

If driven more leisurely, as per most cars, the lifespan of the front tyres on his electric taxis would likely increase. Given that the taxi and van fleets mentioned above are examples of fleets that are likely driven a little more harshly than the average car, the fact that they have such vastly reduced brake wear, and similar tyre wear on the rear wheels in particular, bodes very well for controlling particulate matter pollution.

Remapping the throttle of EVs to reduce the aggressiveness of the power delivery, or driving them in eco mode, will also help to extend tyre lifespan on more harshly driven vehicles. Plus, as Dundee has already shown, air quality is demonstrably better in cities that have high uptake of electric vehicles, due to a substantial net reduction in particulate matter from exhausts, tyres and brakes.

Furthermore, Cleevely EV Mobile’s high-mileage cross-country electric vans, show that the tyre lifespan of front-wheel drive EVs can be just as good as petrol or diesel cars. James notes that his MG5 EV, which is only four months old, is approaching 20,000 miles on the clock, and all tyres have plenty of tread left on them. A veteran mechanic with an accurate judgement of component wear and remaining lifespan, James reckons he’ll get 30,000 – 35,000 miles out of all four tyres.

Additionally, many tyre manufacturers are developing special tyres for electric vehicles, which provide greater efficiency and less wear without sacrificing grip. This includes both big name tyre brands and new companies, like Enso, that have been set up specifically to tackle pollution from tyres.

Conclusion

So, in conclusion, electric vehicles already vastly reduce particulate matter from brake wear, and claims of tyre wear contributing 1,000 times the particulate matter pollution of petrol and diesel exhausts are greatly overexaggerated. Real EV fleets are already seeing brake lifespans increased fourfold versus the diesel vehicles they have replaced, and tyre wear that is broadly on par with petrol and diesel cars (unless, as like with any vehicle, the drivers get a bit throttle happy!).

One final thought on emissions to end with: the UK is set to close its last remaining coal-fired power plants, but even if EVs were 100% powered by coal, it is much easier to fit particulate filters to a small number of very large, static power plants located away from city centres, than it is to fit effective filters to millions of small, mobile petrol and diesel engines running in urban areas.

The end result is that cities that have embraced EVs have already demonstrably benefitted from reduced pollution and improved air quality, and this trend shall only continue as more EVs switch to drum brakes, new tyres are developed that reduce nanoparticulate pollution even further, and the UK’s grid becomes ever increasingly powered by clean renewable energy.

Auke is one of the world's experts on EVs & the FUD surrounding them
1695909588674.png

leads to a post from 2019.
"Tyres in a modern electric vehicle wear out much more slowly than in a vehicle with a traditional ICE. This is due to good traction control. Driving assist systems reduce slippage thanks to the electric motor's rapid power adjustment" - Mikko Liukkula, Nokian Tyres Dev Manager

On tyre particulate FUD -

Attachments

• 1695907826368.png
    1695907826368.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Love
Reactions: APotatoGod
I have to say I see EVs as the next wedge issue that's being created to drive us all apart

It's like somethings we all would agree on like should we have electrical and plumbing service at our houses, so those can't be used, but EVs ... now there's an issue that not everyone knows about and we can maybe manipulate them into thinking a certain way about it and as they don't have one, we can easily make them think that the "others" who do are their enemy

I think we saw an initial wave of "hatred", then that died down a bit as more people started buying these vehicles, but I'm afraid there may be a second wave coming soon and it will be worse than the first

One thing I AM sure of though is that the technology is here to stay AND (ok two things) will be the dominant mobility technology of the future. If the US doesn't get on board with it in this early stage they will all be playing catch up and to paraphrase a recent quotation there won't be a single job in the American motor industry in a few years time [1]

[1] of course there will be jobs (it was paraphrasing after all) but the industry will shift to new and different and overseas manufacturers. Much like every British invention from the second world war (jet engines, radar, the microchip) have ended up with some other country benefitting